How to connect to an RV?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hobie16

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
USA (Full time RV'er
I have a Dish 500 antenna on a tripod with two single feed LNB's. I wish to connect into my RV's distribution system but I only have one coax port on the outside of the rig. How can I combine the two feeds to the single input and then divide again at the other end? I will be connecting to a DVR625 and feed two TV's.:confused:

I have a Dish 500 antenna on a tripod with two single feed LNB's. I wish to connect into my RV's distribution system but I only have one coax port on the outside of the rig. How can I combine the two feeds to the single input and then divide again at the other end? I will be connecting to a DVR625 and feed two TV's.:confused:

Hobie,

Get a Dish Pro Plus TWIN. You can then run one Cable from the Dish to the Coax input on the RV. Connect a cable to the wall Coax Output run it to a Dish Pro Plus Separator, then connect each of the two feeds from the Separator to your 625 receiver.

If the Coax wiring in the RV is split at all, to more than one location, inside the RV then it WILL NOT WORK. The Cable feed from the Dish to the one and ONLY OUTPUT in the RV must NOT be interrupted or split.

John

Hobie,

Also be aware that if your RV coax output inside has an amplifier, it will take some modification before it'll work properly (you'll have to bypass the amp). Typically it's easier to put another coax system in for the sat receiver.

I can give you more specific details if you need.

Phil

JohnL is correct and further drive home his point...the "cable in" must have is OWN outlet at your Receiver location and must not be split before it gets to that outlet.

To avoid hours of frustration that I experienced on my first RV...If your RV is prewired with a Winegard Powered OTA antenna you will have one of these (see attached photo of the outlet). It has a "cable in" port on the back of it, so you can see cable and/or OTA over the same connection. These will not allow power to pass from your Dish Receiver to the LNBs and therefore will not work. You must disconnect the "cable in" cable from the back of the Winegard outlet and add an additional cable/sat outlet.

I have had to do this on my last two RV's, so if I totally confused you PM me and I will try to explain it better.

Attachments

• antenna-power-supply.jpg
    antenna-power-supply.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 1,032
I modded our Amp. Faceplate to take the outside cable directly to the faceplate but also had a second jack to loop the cable back into the faceplate input in case we had regular cable connection.

It also allowed us to take the RF output from the Receiver and feed it to the other TV jack in the back.

Also, as noticed in the pic, most trailers/RVs only run RG59. I don't expect the short run from the exterior wall jack to the Receiver (<6 feet) will cause much attenuation.

Attachments

• amp3.jpg
    amp3.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 1,596
  • amp7.jpg
    amp7.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,426
Thanks for all the advice. I have a direct connection with no spliters. The RV came prewired for a satellite and has a separate Winegard 5 in 3 out distribution box that contains the antenna amp. This all goes on the output side of the system. I have been using the system but only to feed a single receiver and now want to be able to use my new DVR and feed a second TV.
Question, Where can I purchase a Dish Pro Twin LNB and a Dish Satellite switch and what is a good price?

Thanks for all the advice. I have a direct connection with no spliters. The RV came prewired for a satellite and has a separate Winegard 5 in 3 out distribution box that contains the antenna amp. This all goes on the output side of the system. I have been using the system but only to feed a single receiver and now want to be able to use my new DVR and feed a second TV.
Question, Where can I purchase a Dish Pro Twin LNB and a Dish Satellite switch and what is a good price?

Hobie,

You do NOT need a Dish Switch if you get a Dish Pro PLUS TWIN. Then you will only need a Dish Pro Plus Separator. There are a number of places to go, try a Local retailer, Dish Depot is a good source as well as the Dish Store. There is also Ebay, but a lot of times Ebay sellers do not properly identify the LNBF's they are selling.

You need a Dish PRO PLUS TWIN, do not accept a Legacy TWIN, or a Dish Pro TWIN. Dish Pro Plus Separators can be found on Ebay for less than 8 bucks. Dual Tuner Dish receivers come with a Dish Pro Plus Separator when sold as new.

John

DISH_NC

Just wanted to make sure that I understood your above modification to the Winegard faceplate correctly. By running the little jumper/loop cable to a new jack, this will allow me to view cable tv when available, satellite tv if I want to, and still use the antenna (not all at the same time of course) without any other modification? I would simply hook the tv into the looped cable jack if wanting over the air tv or cable, and hook a sat. receiver to the other new jack if using satellite? If that's the case, this is what I will do. Seems to be a simple solution.

By the way, I have Direct Tv. Don't know if this makes a difference.

Karen

DISH_NC

Just wanted to make sure that I understood your above modification to the Winegard faceplate correctly. By running the little jumper/loop cable to a new jack, this will allow me to view cable tv when available, satellite tv if I want to, and still use the antenna (not all at the same time of course) without any other modification? I would simply hook the tv into the looped cable jack if wanting over the air tv or cable, and hook a sat. receiver to the other new jack if using satellite? If that's the case, this is what I will do. Seems to be a simple solution.

By the way, I have Direct Tv. Don't know if this makes a difference.

Karen
Correct, using a small loop of cable between the left and right jack, you 'jumper' the outside "Cable" feed into the existing faceplate as if the mod was never done.

DirecTV/DISH - no difference with respect to this mod.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)