How to downlink SatMex 6 in PAL?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pedflo

Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
Hi, I want to downlink Intelsat 1R (PAS-1) 3759 V tp 4 symbol rate 4.412, FEC 3/4 from New Jersey zip 07304.

I have a few questions that I would appreciate you assistance with:
Question 1) will I be able to do it from my location? 2) What size dish do I need? 3) I understand they feed in PAL-B, what do I have to do to downlink the feed and watch it in NTSC?

Thank you for your help.

Satmex 6 or Pas1?

If PAS1 then
1. should be able to...the footprint says it covers NJ
2. 6 foot minimum since its C-band
3. your box should do the conversion automatically

sat mixup

Actually I want to downlink both, but I think that will be a strech. One is Intelsat 1R at 45W and the other is SatMex 6 at 113W. My main concern is the uplink feed for both sats is in PAL-B mode, does that mean that I have to get a special "PAL" receiver?

My main concern is the uplink feed for both sats is in PAL-B mode, does that mean that I have to get a special "PAL" receiver?

Depends on the receiver. All my FTA receivers seem to have a built-in converter or does some processing internally that if the signal is PAL, I never see it in PAL. It gets outputed in NTSC and displays on my tv or monitor just fine.

Isn't PAL for European systems? I haven't seen anything in the North American systems that requires PAL. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I have seen a few feeds in PAL, and my receiver and pc card were both able to decode it correctly.

I think 113.0°W SatMex 6 C-Band has a few PAL channels.

THINKING -- thinking -- PAL and NTSC are output formats, not transport systems, That sure stretches my memory. It matters in Video tapes - maybe in analog, but at least some DVD's will work on either machine and one machine I used at a convention, had both outputs available - along with S-video and component. Now you got me thinking -- could be dangerous

THINKING -- thinking -- PAL and NTSC are output formats, not transport systems, That sure stretches my memory. It matters in Video tapes - maybe in analog, but at least some DVD's will work on either machine and one machine I used at a convention, had both outputs available - along with S-video and component. Now you got me thinking -- could be dangerous

It's true that NTSC and PAL are output formats, but they are also source/input formats before the MPEG-2 is encoded and uplinked.

MPEG-2 takes individual video "frames" for input. The number of frames per second and the resolution of each frame is different between PAL and NTSC. The MPEG-2 encoder looks at multiple frames and does a bunch of clever mathematical operations like DCT, motion estimation, huffman encoding, run-length encoding, and other stuff to compress the source video. The compression part's the same regardless of input format. BUT, to oversimplify, both the number of pixels per frame and the number of frames per second going up to the satellite and out of your STB decoder are directly tied to whether the source material was PAL or NTSC.

If the uplinked signal carries PAL video, the output of your STB decoder will have the wrong frame rate and resolution. So somehow the STB has to resample and resize the decoded image before it can be output to your NTSC TV set, and I have no clue at all about how that's actually done. :) But it must not be too easy, because I've noted that STBs are often rated on how well they do the PAL->NTSC conversion internally.

Turns out, most or perhaps all of the popular FTA boxes detect and convert the input format to the output format automagically. :)

At least, I think this is true to the best of my knowledge. I'm still working on understanding all this stuff, so corrections are welcome. I find this stuff really really interesting!

Last edited:
Isn't PAL for European systems? I haven't seen anything in the North American systems that requires PAL. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Some North American services are in PAL (those paths that are destined for Europe or other countries/regions where PAL is used) or some international broadcasters who are in North America producing an event for back home will sometimes use PAL.

It's not common, but PAL transmissions can be found here and there. I do like the digital world better because I don't have to pull out a black and white TV to stabilize the picture - my FTA receivers do it automatically for me when I tune a PAL transmission and I just get to watch the video in NTSC on my TV or my monitor.

Thanks PALs! <-- haha, get it... PAL. (I know, don't say it, that was sooo cheesy, but I had to got for it)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)