How To: DPP or DPH with vip211k and wally and hopper?

TV Junkie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 20, 2021
West Coast
I want to set up my house to have a hopper dvr, wally, and vip211k with the ability to take my wally or vip211k (maybe both?) on the road in my travel trailer while leaving the hopper functional at home.

I have an older DP plus lnbf with 3 lnb and 4 coax and the older dish turbo 500 (I think) dish / reflector.

Not sure how this would be wired or the requirements (switch, node, dvr / hopper limit, etc) of the dish gear itself.

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! TIA

:drunk

Not sure how this would be wired or the requirements (switch, node, dvr / hopper limit, etc) of the dish gear itself.
That varies with Hopper model. The H3 requires a DPH LNB. If you are saying you already have these receivers working at home with a DPP arrangement, then I am guessing you have an H2 or even H1. Did I guess right?

Reactions: TV Junkie
That varies with Hopper model. The H3 requires a DPH LNB. If you are saying you already have these receivers working at home with a DPP arrangement, then I am guessing you have an H2 or even H1. Did I guess right?
No I don't have this currently set up. I only own a vip211k and wally. Was considering a hopper duo?

Thanks for the reply!

Reactions: TheKrell
No I don't have this currently set up. I only own a vip211k and wally. Was considering a hopper duo?

Thanks for the reply!
The Hopper Duo certainly makes this installation easier than it would be if you had a Hopper 3 instead. The Hopper 3 would require a DPH42 switch and a Hybrid Solo Hub. You might even have to chain that switch with a DPP44 switch to be able to add the other stand-alone receivers, or at least the ViP211k.

However, with the Hopper Duo, you would not need any of the above. Just run a cable directly from each output on that LNB to each receiver, and you are all set. The Hybrid Solo Hub would only be needed if you ever want to add a Joey to the Hopper Duo. Even that is apparently not a requirement, though, since my installer used an older Solo Node and a Hybrid Tap to add a Joey 3 to my Hopper Duo, and it worked. I didn't test to see if it would have worked with only the Hybrid Tap, and no Node at all. The bad part about the Solo Node is that it ties up two of the cables coming in from the dish. So in your case, you would still have to add some kind of switch (such as a DPP44) if you wanted all three receivers (Hopper Duo, Wally, ViP211k) and a Joey all hooked up that way. This is why the Hybrid Solo Hub is easier to install, since it only needs one cable coming in from the dish.

I know my explanation above made the installation sound a lot more complicated than it actually is, but I wanted to make sure I covered all of the bases. :)

The Hopper Duo certainly makes this installation easier than it would be if you had a Hopper 3 instead. The Hopper 3 would require a DPH42 switch and a Hybrid Solo Hub. You might even have to chain that switch with a DPP44 switch to be able to add the other stand-alone receivers, or at least the ViP211k.

However, with the Hopper Duo, you would not need any of the above. Just run a cable directly from each output on that LNB to each receiver, and you are all set. The Hybrid Solo Hub would only be needed if you ever want to add a Joey to the Hopper Duo. Even that is apparently not a requirement, though, since my installer used an older Solo Node and a Hybrid Tap to add a Joey 3 to my Hopper Duo, and it worked. I didn't test to see if it would have worked with only the Hybrid Tap, and no Node at all. The bad part about the Solo Node is that it ties up two of the cables coming in from the dish. So in your case, you would still have to add some kind of switch (such as a DPP44) if you wanted all three receivers (Hopper Duo, Wally, ViP211k) and a Joey all hooked up that way. This is why the Hybrid Solo Hub is easier to install, since it only needs one cable coming in from the dish.

I know my explanation above made the installation sound a lot more complicated than it actually is, but I wanted to make sure I covered all of the bases. :)
It would work with just the tap. I accidentally did a Hopper 3/Joey 3 with a tap instead of a Hub. Don't ask, I just had a brain fart that day

• Love
Reactions: pattykay

So the DP Plus lnb I have has an internal switch?

Is that even possible with the 211k and Wally operating on completely different software? When I tried to use both I was told no can do, you can't have two different versions authorized on one account.

Installed a DPH 42 and put up my old dish to use the DPP 1000.4 I can not find 61.5 I can get 72 I can move the dish to get 62.5 or 72 but not both. Very strange .

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Is that even possible with the 211k and Wally operating on completely different software? When I tried to use both I was told no can do, you can't have two different versions authorized on one account.
You absolutely can do this, especially if you own them. Dish may try to discourage you from mixing them on the same account, due to the completely different software. (It makes troubleshooting harder, if they are not sure which receiver you are using when you call them for help.) However, all purchased receivers show up on your account under My Equipment, where they are available to be activated and deactivated through mydish, if you are set up as a Dish Outdoor (RV) account. So, even if the CSR's won't let you have both at the same time, you could simply log into your account and activate the other one yourself.

The one thing to remember is that the external hard drives are not compatible between these models, though. If you take a hard drive from a ViP211 and connect it to a Wally (or vice versa) the receiver will prompt you to reformat it. This is another reason why Dish would discourage customers from using both models on the same account.

Yes. I am assuming you have a Western Arc 1000.2 LNB.
The 1000.4 EA DPP LNB also has an internal switch. Before my Hopper iron, I had a 722, and 2 612's directly wired to the LNB. Worked great for years until Dish started breaking stuff on my beloved 722. :crying

Physically able and authorized by Dish able are two different things

Reactions: charlesrshell
You absolutely can do this, especially if you own them. Dish may try to discourage you from mixing them on the same account, due to the completely different software. (It makes troubleshooting harder, if they are not sure which receiver you are using when you call them for help.) However, all purchased receivers show up on your account under My Equipment, where they are available to be activated and deactivated through mydish, if you are set up as a Dish Outdoor (RV) account. So, even if the CSR's won't let you have both at the same time, you could simply log into your account and activate the other one yourself.

The one thing to remember is that the external hard drives are not compatible between these models, though. If you take a hard drive from a ViP211 and connect it to a Wally (or vice versa) the receiver will prompt you to reformat it. This is another reason why Dish would discourage customers from using both models on the same account.
So in a hutshell the secret to success is you must own, not lease, the receivers.

Here is the number to call for the RV department, which was recently posted in another thread: (866) 974-0752
They should be able to activate both the Wally and the ViP211k if you want both at the same time. :)
The loyalty number is (888)496-1260. The other loyalty number is (866)974-0752. The loyalty group existed last week when I talked to them and was a separate group. I was given no indication that the group was ceasing to exist. In fact it was just the opposite. I was told to call the second number when I wanted to activate my 211k for RV and that only the loyalty group could do that.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)