How to improve signal on roof antenna manually?

Bob79

Original poster
Feb 14, 2024
Livingston St 18017
Can I manually adjust Dish roof antenna to increase signal from 66 on a clear day to higher signal and scale goes to 125
20240214_152254.jpg
On cloudy days signal is 34 and I get a lot of video clips.
I had my roof replaced and contractor had to move dish antenna. I asked them if my signal will be affected and was told they do thus all the time with no client complaints.
This antenna replacement with optimum results doesn't make sense to me.
Any thoughts?
PS: I know I can call Dish to send tech out but like to get input before doing anything.

Attachments

• 20240214_140955.jpg
    20240214_140955.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 51
Can I manually adjust Dish roof antenna to increase signal from 66 on a clear day to higher signal and scale goes to 125View attachment 168666.
On cloudy days signal is 34 and I get a lot of video clips.
I had my roof replaced and contractor had to move dish antenna. I asked them if my signal will be affected and was told they do thus all the time with no client complaints.
This antenna replacement with optimum results doesn't make sense to me.
Any thoughts?
PS: I know I can call Dish to send tech out but like to get input before doing anything.

66 is actually very good signal strength. It goes to 125 for no good reason, I think the strongest I have ever seen, on a spot beam transponder with a large commercial grade dish was upper 70s. When I install a dish, I am perfectly happy with a signal in the 50s. It is very unlikely you could get any better.

EDIT: I just noticed the part about cloudy days and 34 signal. Clouds should not be able to make that big of a difference in signal, maybe up to 10%. Make sure you always reference the same transponder. That could just be a low transponder, check others and see what they average.

Last edited:
Roofers say it's fine but it almost never is. They never put it back on a stud and never seal it properly either. As mentioned 66 is fantastic. But if it's dropping into the 30s it's not just from clouds. Matter of fact unless it's rain clouds it shouldn't affect your signal at all. So most likely the mount is barely hanging on and is shifting with the wind. I'd setup a tech visit to get it mounted and pointed correctly.
You can attempt yourself but it'll be less troublesome to just have a tech come out.

66 is actually very good signal strength. It goes to 125 for no good reason, I think the strongest I have ever seen, on a spot beam transponder with a large commercial grade dish was upper 70s. When I install a dish, I am perfectly happy with a signal in the 50s. It is very unlikely you could get any better.

EDIT: I just noticed the part about cloudy days and 34 signal. Clouds should not be able to make that big of a difference in signal, maybe up to 10%. Make sure you always reference the same transponder. That could just be a low transponder, check others and see what they average.

Thanks, Brad1138 and I'm learning a lot.

Stay well be HAPPY

Roofers say it's fine but it almost never is. They never put it back on a stud and never seal it properly either. As mentioned 66 is fantastic. But if it's dropping into the 30s it's not just from clouds. Matter of fact unless it's rain clouds it shouldn't affect your signal at all. So most likely the mount is barely hanging on and is shifting with the wind. I'd setup a tech visit to get it mounted and pointed correctly.
You can attempt yourself but it'll be less troublesome to just have a tech come out.
Thanks, tjboston5676, I will take your advice after snow is gone from roof, locally, may get another 1-4 inches.

typically if the dish is moved at all by a new roof install it needs to be re-peaked. They may offer to send someone out to do it for you but as someone that installed I've typically found that the elevation was usually the issue. Without taking any bolts loose you could just grab top/bottom of dish and flex it downwards just a hair..have someone on a phone watching the screen tell you if it moved or not..if it went up some then just loose the elevation bolts and barely move it down a hair and then snug them back. Done.

Mid 70's as what others have said on a perfectly clear sunny day is what Dish considers 100% lock. They have specs the dish has to be at to pass inspections. If the signal is too low for to long and you have it connected to internet they may even call you and offer a free tech check cause it sends that data back.

It is surprising how poor of a job roofers do when putting these back....

Reactions: charlesrshell