How to manually add digital channel

Beatressle

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 4, 2005
Western Colorado
When I do the auto scan of local channels on my 722 receiver it skips one of the local channels, channel 49. Both physical and virtual channels are the same, channel 49.1. If I manually enter channel 49 it shows a signal strength of 98 but does not show a virtual channel of 49.1. If I connect the antenna directly to my TV and do an auto scan on my TV it also skips channel 49 but I can manually enter channel 49.1 and all is well. Anyone have any ideas?

It is a local translator channel for a NBC station in Grand Junction, KKCO. In my area translators from Grand Junction and Denver are our only means of OTA TV.

I don't see K49JX-D on any digital channel list I found so far. If it is analog the receiver may be reading the signal level but it can't be added using Dish's digital tuner.

Edit: I found it listed under Montrose, CO. It lists it's virtual channel as 11 and physical as 49, still not sure if it's digital or analog.

I don't see K49JX-D on any digital channel list I found so far. If it is analog the receiver may be reading the signal level but it can't be added using Dish's digital tuner.

Edit: I found it listed under Montrose, CO. It lists it's virtual channel as 11 and physical as 49, still not sure if it's digital or analog.

Do analog channels have separate virtual and physical channels?

The FCC has it listed as a UHF digital translator. Is there anyway one can manually add digital sub channels like 49.1 and 49.2 in the 722 local channel menu? Menu-6-9-add-49.1

Since it has a physical and virtual channel and subchannels it is digital. I suggest menu 6 9 add locals Type in 49 and waita bit then hit done.

I think there may be an issue with the digital translator. The translator is supposed to have a virtual channel (whether it's 49 or 11 or whatever)but the receiver is not seeing it. The fact that your TV will not scan in the channel either tells me there is an issue with the TV station and not the Dish receiver. Why don't you e-mail the KKCO 11 Chief engineer roger.lafrance@nbc11news.com and explain the situation.

I had that happen with WFXP (Fox Erie) when I first got the OTA module. Turned out, that station's signal strength is 100%. I didn't question it, as it always comes in fine.

Do analog channels have separate virtual and physical channels?
No, and while analog translators were still legal in 2010, when I retired, there was a date set for them to go digital. If that is actually ch 11, then the signal coming in on his (UHF) antenna may not be multiplath enough for the DISH receiver to get. Especially the hopper, whose ota module seems to be ATSC version 1 and not the newer one that came out over 5 years ago.

TNGTony, I had to manually enter 49.1 and 49.2 in one of my TVs while my second TV scanned it in automatically. Obviously I can watch the OTA channels by switching inputs but then I loose the DVR capabilities of the 722 receiver. Just wish I could enter 49.1 manually. I called Roger Friday but he had taken a day off. I'll call him again on Monday and see if he can help. Thanks

No, and while analog translators were still legal in 2010, when I retired, there was a date set for them to go digital. If that is actually ch 11, then the signal coming in on his (UHF) antenna may not be multiplath enough for the DISH receiver to get.

no. The station is on RF49 but remaps to 11

oh and translators have until 2015 to upgrade. Most larger setups did already