how to record one show & watch another on 622

revm1m

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Family
Feb 11, 2006
36
0
I switched from D* to Dish network about 10 days ago. I have 622 & two TVs. I have read all threads and still cannot watch one show on TV2 and record different show at the same time and watch another show on TV1. When I start the timer on TV2 to record , I cannot watch different show on TV2, I have to go to TV1 and watch the other show. Is there a way to record first show & watch second show on TV2 and also watch the third show on TV1:confused:

I hope I explained this the correct way. Please help.
 

gbjbany

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 4, 2005
1,476
1
El Dorado Hills, CA Nr Sacramento
So the key here is you record from Tuners and display to TV's. The 622 has 3 tuners 2 sat 1 ota.
So you can record up to 3 programs at once. The 2 tv's can display any of these 3 tuners PLUS they can each display any prerecorded program.

Your scenario requires 3 tuners, which assuming you dont have OTA in use, you dont have on a 622.

You would need another receiver, your second receiver could be an SD DVR like a 501/508 which doesnt incur a DVR fee, however if you also want to watch the new HD channels on that 2nd tv, such as UNIHD, you would need a VIP 211 (no dvr) or another 622 (with DVR).
 

noremac

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 28, 2004
251
0
Wash, DC
gbjbany said:
The 2 tv's can display any of these 3 tuners PLUS they can each display any prerecorded program.

One small nit: TV2 can never display the 3rd (OTA 8vsb) tuner live. Of course, it can show the OTA tuner on delay via DVR.
 

SaltiDawg

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 1, 2004
1,032
44
bill93civic said:
nope, when either tv1 or tv2 is recording, you either watch what is being recorded, or watch something that has already been recorded.
This is not at all correct if the 622 is in Single Mode.
 

SaltiDawg

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 1, 2004
1,032
44
noremac said:
One small nit: TV2 can never display the 3rd (OTA 8vsb) tuner live. Of course, it can show the OTA tuner on delay via DVR.
Agian, this is not correct in Single Mode.
 

SaltiDawg

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 1, 2004
1,032
44
revm1m said:
... I have 622 & two TVs. I have read all threads and still cannot watch one show on TV2 and record different show at the same time and watch another show on TV1....
You can watch what is on the other tuners on TV2 if you switch to Single Mode.
 

noremac

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 28, 2004
251
0
Wash, DC
noremac said:
One small nit: TV2 can never display the 3rd (OTA 8vsb) tuner live. Of course, it can show the OTA tuner on delay via DVR.

SaltiDawg said:
Agian, this is not correct in Single Mode.
Beg your pardon? In Single Mode, there is no such thing as TV2, so perhaps my comment is not applicable in that case. But who said it was? :rolleyes:
 

noremac

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 28, 2004
251
0
Wash, DC
SaltiDawg said:
You can watch what is on the other tuners on TV2 if you switch to Single Mode.
I think that terminology is killing us here.

The 622 has three tuners: Two satellite tuners, plus one OTA 8vsb tuner.

The 622 has one unique output device in Single Mode: TV1

The 622 has two output devices in Dual Mode: TV1 and TV2

In Single Mode, you can watch any of the three tuners, or a prerecorded show on TV1.

In Dual Mode, you can also watch any of the three tuners, or a prerecorded show on TV1. But you can only watch the satellite tuners (and NOT the OTA tuner) or a prerecorded show on TV2.

Make sense?
 

SaltiDawg

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 1, 2004
1,032
44
noremac said:
Beg your pardon? In Single Mode, there is no such thing as TV2, so perhaps my comment is not applicable in that case. But who said it was? :rolleyes:
Nonsense. Both the TV1 and TV2 outputs remain live and both TV1 and TV2 see the same program. In this mode one program can be recording on any tuner, for example, and either TV2 or TV1 can change the channel and watch anything else live on the other two tuners. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
 

SaltiDawg

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 1, 2004
1,032
44
noremac said:
...

In Dual Mode, you can also watch any of the three tuners, or a prerecorded show on TV1. But you can only watch the satellite tuners (and NOT the OTA tuner) or a prerecorded show on TV2. ...

Again, in Single Mode youcan watch any one of the three tuners on the outputs to TV1 and TV2. Also, you can change channels on all three tuners from either TV1 or TV2 location/output.
 

SaltiDawg

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 1, 2004
1,032
44
revm1m said:
I switched from D* to Dish network about 10 days ago. I have 622 & two TVs. I have read all threads and still cannot watch one show on TV2 and record different show at the same time and watch another show on TV1. When I start the timer on TV2 to record , I cannot watch different show on TV2, I have to go to TV1 and watch the other show. Is there a way to record first show & watch second show on TV2 and also watch the third show on TV1:confused:
If you are accepting of the notion that you will be limited to watching the identical program on both sets, then switch to Single Mode and you will be able to record on one tuner and switch channels from either location and go to another tuner.
 

noremac

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 28, 2004
251
0
Wash, DC
SaltiDawg said:
Both the TV1 and TV2 outputs remain live and both TV1 and TV2 see the same program.
Correct. Both sets of outputs see the same thing because there is only one video image being generated by the 622 in Single Mode. And that image is labled TV1. That's why I used the word "unique".

In this mode one program can be recording on any tuner, for example, and either TV2 or TV1 can change the channel and watch anything else live on the other two tuners.
Again, the terminology is our enemy. Of course, the TV's don't actually change the channel. A person holding a remote changes the channel. In Single Mode, both (included) remotes operate identically on the one video image the 622 is generating. And if you have a third remote and a fourth remote like I do, they also change the same TV1 image. Should I label them TV3 and TV4?! :D

I think we're saying the same thing. My original point was that in DUAL MODE, you cannot view the OTA tuner live on TV2.
 

noremac

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 28, 2004
251
0
Wash, DC
SaltiDawg said:
Again, in Single Mode you can watch any one of the three tuners on the outputs to TV1 and TV2.
I think I said that. But only because in Single Mode, the TV2 outputs are showing the TV1 image, which is the one and only image the 622 is producing in that mode.
 

revm1m

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Family
Feb 11, 2006
36
0
thank you very much for all the replies. I may have to get another SD receiver.
 

SaltiDawg

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 1, 2004
1,032
44
noremac said:
...

I think we're saying the same thing. My original point was that in DUAL MODE, you cannot view the OTA tuner live on TV2.
And of course you never said in "DUAL MODE." There are two sets of outputs - labled TV1 and TV2. If you have remotes associated with TV2 it would seem fair to lable all of them "TV2." If you have remotes associated with TV1 it would seem fair to lable them "TV1."

I think you're simply being obtuse - or simply trolling. lol
 
Top