How to record shows from my 622 DVR onto my laptop??

hoch21

Original poster
May 2, 2008
I know I have searched, I found something..but not enough info. Any help would be appreciated..

You can't directly. You can use a DVD recorder to record DVDs that you could view on your laptop.

Just as useful as all the other methods I've seen:

Sit in front of the TV with a camcorder. Use its firewire interface to send the signal to your laptop. :)

I purchased one of these devices, the ADSTech Pyro A/V last year.

PYRO A /V Link

It's a Consumer Grade Capture unit that is Firewire output and can capture Component Video to 480i, S-Video and Composite. It will also Output Component Video to a TV Monitor. You would have to set your 622 to output 480i for it to work with this unit.

Forget about HD capture short of the HD Camcorder in front of the HDTV and connected via Firewire to a PC.

Next step beyond the DVD recorder is to have video editing software that can extract from the disc and into the editor, where it can be converted for mobile devices.

you can grab a video converter at your local big box electronics stores for less than $50. You connect the video from the dvr to the converter and it will send the video to your PC via USB or Firewire. Usually in some MPEG format. The more you spend the more options you get. some of the newer multimedia PCs have direct video input jacks, but I'm guessing yours doesn't.

I use my camcorder as it has a AV--> DV converter and I capture the video on my PC, convert it to Divx, and watch on my DVD player.

They don't reveal resolution and speed :(; I guess it's still 640x480i max.
If THAT is true, then maybe my stupid idea proposed as a joke is actually best, if you use 1920x1080 HD-camcorder in front of 1920x1080 HD-display with proper lighting/filtering/whatever. :)

What you're looking for I've only found in an easy-to-use/robust/full-HD form in the R5000HD Dish reciever mod and DVR software bundle solution from Nextcom. Works great. The R5000HD mod in my 622, the included DVR software on my Toshiba laptop, Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra media player software and a couple of big hard drives and it's HD all over the place. The catch--the mod system ain't exactly cheap (but in my opinion you get what you pay for), so you've really got to use it to make it a value proposition. You'll find a great number of fans of the R5000HD around here and especially the AVS forums.

Home of the R5000 High-Definition TV PVR

Last edited:
according to engadget the HD recorder is now ready to order

Hauppauge HD PVR now available for order

by Darren Murph, posted Apr 7th 2008 at 6:25PM

We've seen it announced, delayed and pictured -- now the time to place your order has finally come. The highly-anticipated Hauppauge HD PVR -- which sports a hardware H.264 encoder, component video inputs, NTSC / PAL / SECAM support and loads more for HD junkies to love -- is finally available to order. You heard right, for $249 you can drop this puppy in your shopping cart and await its presence in your humble abode. Shipping times, however, could be another matter entirely.

I purchased one of these devices, the ADSTech Pyro A/V last year.

PYRO A /V Link

It's a Consumer Grade Capture unit that is Firewire output and can capture Component Video to 480i, S-Video and Composite. It will also Output Component Video to a TV Monitor. You would have to set your 622 to output 480i for it to work with this unit.

I've got the same thing. I actually leave the 622 in single mode and use the S-Video output. You can actually capture HD programming in anamorphic mode and output to a true widescreen DVD. I usually only drop about 30 frames in a 2 hour movie- not enough to really notice- and my laptop is pretty crummy.

Note that the key here is in the encoding if you want to put in on DVD. I tried use the built in software in Vita and it looked awful. Luckily, I'm in the video biz...I just load the captured video into Adobe Encore and it does a pretty good job. As long as the program is less than 1:45, the resulting DVDs look almost as good as commercial ones.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts