How to tell if receiver is getting old

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

HST

Original poster
Nov 2, 2004
I have a 4000. It has worked flawlessly for years.

Now, I am having problems with it locking onto the signal. Once it does lock onto the signal I can view the channel it is on, but if I go to the Guide and pick a different channel, it will lose signal and the "acquiring signal" screen pops up. The acquiring signal message will last for hours/days.

When the signal is locked, it shows 84% for both satellites (110&119). When it loses signal the bar shows 0% for hours/days.

I called Dish and they had me check to see if everything was plugged in. IS that really "technical" support? :no

Anyway, I was wondering how I know if my receiver is simply wearing out? Or, if it is some other problem.

Thanks.

welcome hst!

The 4000 is one of the old model receivers, and unfortunatelly, the memory is pretty much capped on that unit. I know the 2000 they are replacing for people that have them due to it not being able to take any more software upgrades.

I would call Dish and see what offers they can give you.

I have a 4900, and a 300 for the extra bedroom, and both seem to be ok, as far as I can tell. I ocassionally lose my signal when I get a wicked rain storm (normal rain doesnt seem to bother it) I like the 4900 because of the dolby digital for PPV. It it possible for a receiver to be "too old" after awhile, or is it mostly just additional features or better specs on the newer ones? I've been thinking of getting a PVR, but my receivers still seem to be doind ok. I have a legacy Dish 500, and I understand they wont work with the newer receivers.. Is this true??

Thanks,

X

Thank you for the replies. I was aware that Dish had begun offering replacements for the older models.

Still, is there any signs that tells you the receiver is simply wearing out? I don't imagine a software upgrade (or lack thereof) could be responsible for the inability to keep locked onto the satellite signal...

Any body know of what could be causing this problem?

Actually I'd really be surprised if it was the receiver. With the only symptom being total signal loss I'd be checking the cabling all the way to the dish to see if it's coming loose/corroded or something else, like the dish is wobbling on it's mount.

That said, if you end up switching to a 311 you'd probably be much happier. Right now you probably only get a couple hours in your guide due to the units limited memory.

Well the limited menu I can live without. What I enjoy is the UHF remote and the Dolby Digital out for PPV. The 311 doesn't allow either. :(

Looks like DVR's and HD rcvrs are the only ones with Dolby Digital output at the moment. Fortunately all of them have UHF remotes as well.

I'd look into a 508.. they're in limited quantity right now so I'd call Dish and make a move if they offer anything.

Update

It turns out my 4000's inability to lock onto the signal was in fact age related. Now, I have no idea what might have gone bad or burnt out, but it failed to work at a local Radio Shack (Dish Network suggested I take it there). After plugging in a 311 model, my dish, switch boxes, and cables are just fine and the signal strength exceeds what my 4000 was able to grab onto even at its best.

So, for anybody else out there with an older model, loss of signal is definitely a symptom of an aging receiver.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions and input. :)

(Just a joke here... owners of 721's and 921's should get a laugh)

(In my best Jeff Foxworthy Impression)

If your satellite reciever has all its origional promised features and THEY WORK your reciever might just be too old. :)

Scott Greczkowski said:
(Just a joke here... owners of 721's and 921's should get a laugh)

(In my best Jeff Foxworthy Impression)

If your satellite reciever has all its origional promised features and THEY WORK your reciever might just be too old. :)

Scott.... you da man

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)