How to transfer recordings from one EHD to another.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I've been a DISH user for over ten years and I am already telling my wife we need to just cancel and go Hulu nation on them.
Going Hulu nation will soon be an idle threat. At some point in the not-to-distant future, they too will charge for online viewing.

If it doesn't make money, it will go away and they'll fall back on something that does.

Going Hulu nation will soon be an idle threat. At some point in the not-to-distant future, they too will charge for online viewing.

If it doesn't make money, it will go away and they'll fall back on something that does.

It was just a term to mean I will get all cable shows from the internet.

Currently, you pay say $100/month for a ton of channels most of which you do not watch. I will gladly pay $2 an episode for Weeds and the Cable content I do actually watch. I'd have to watch 50 episodes of stuff per month to even approach the cost of Dish - not gonna happen. Throw in netflix and the solution is even more apparent. Dish is on it's way out. At some limit, the bandwidth online becomes sufficient for everyone to start wondering why they are paying for crap they don't use. That limit is basically here, if not today, very soon.

The bandwidth owners never had a chance - the content owners are the ones that will rule the roost. In the time I have had DISH, we have gone from it taking a minute to download a nice JPG, to being able to download HD realtime. I really do expect to be DISH free within 2 years time.

I would like to combine 2 smaller drives onto a single larger drive that I just received. My question is whether this technique will can allow me to combine or if it only works going from a single drive to a newly formatted target drive? I've already allowed Dish to format the new drive.

I would like to combine 2 smaller drives onto a single larger drive that I just received. My question is whether this technique will can allow me to combine or if it only works going from a single drive to a newly formatted target drive? I've already allowed Dish to format the new drive.

What I've ended up doing when I wanted to assign my 4 EHDs to different catagories (Movies, Specials, TV Shows, Concerts/Music) was to select a bunch of shows, move to the internal drive (go have dinner or go to sleep) then attach the target EHD and move them over to that one.

I was wondering if perhaps I could get some help. One of my EHDs has apparently lost of all its recordings. The list shows as empty in my DVR although the available space is half the drive's capacity which indicates the files are still there. I cannot transfer new files to the drive.

I followed the directions to recover an EHD using e2fsck and Knoppix but that didn't help. When I look at the contents of the drive all of the files are located in the lost+found directory. I'm no Linux expert but I'm assuming that this is all the data that got orphaned somehow and got dumped here but the names of the all the files have clearly been replaced with numbers and everything in the folders has been piled into one. My understanding is that each recording should have a directory with a bm, cat, tsp (the recording), and wtt files under the DishArc directory but they're now all jumbled together and I can't tell which are which and which belong to which recording.

Does anyone have any brilliant ideas on how to unscramble these and possible copy them to a working drive?

This is what's needed:

2 USB drives
622/722 receiver
Computer with Ubuntu installed and enough disk space to copy recordings QUOTE]

I can't seem to find this probably obvious answer: do you need a computer running Linux to do this transfer from one drive to another? if not, how can it be done on an XP machine?

Microsoft's operating systems are pretty much the only ones currently in use that cannot natively handle *nix formatted drives.

Note that the freeware Ext2 Installable File System for Windows would probably work and is even read/write. (I haven't tried it, though; I just boot up a Linux LiveCD.)

Hi RandallA (and others),
My Ubuntu sees both drives, so can I just let the 722 format the new ehd, then copy the DishArc folder from the old drive to the new drive, and be good to go, and not do all that permission stuff you mentioned? Hmmm, after reading more posts about EHD, I think mabye I just need to copy the folder over then "go to terminal and type "chown root DishArc"? In terminal, do I need to go to the proper directory, if so how? I'm used to Windows command lines like "cd Disharc".

Also, what is the "limitation of 3 moves" that you merntioned. Please and thank you for your posts and all your help here, and for any future help. I really do appreciate it. Also, anyone's input on any of this would be greatly appreciated, including of course the OP.
Thanks again,
Tim

Last edited: