How to unpaint a dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

penguinsix

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
Actually, it's not a question. I just thought I'd share my experience should anyone ever search on this subject. Kind of an FYI

I decided to 'be cool' and paint my dish black, so it would blend in better with the background trees and woods. After originally agreeing to the idea, the wife (after seeing the finished project) said 'I hate it' so I had to get the paint off.

I went to buy some paint thinner at the hardware store, but found a can of this stuff called Graffiti Off or Graffiti Remover. I also bought a can of acetone (following some advice on auto repair message boards).

The Graffiti remover stuff was amazing--simply amazing (and I'm not trying to be a salesman, but I was stunned by the results). It turned the spray paint back into a liquid and didn't affect the underlying white 'baked' on paint of my Fortec. I simply wiped it off with a paper towel and the dish was basically new again (I went through a whole roll of paper towels).

Once 99.9% of the paint was off, I 'washed' the dish with the Acetone (which is the stuff in nail polish remover). Unfortunately I was down wind and had to do a duck and roll to save my life. That stuff is really nasty smelling. But it evaporates on contact and took out any last hint of the paint and any thing I missed.

I should note that the graffiti stuff also took off the blue 'Fortec Star' dish words that were on my dish. I now have a totally white dish with no lettering, so if you are wondering how to get those letters off, this is a pretty good solution.

Total cost was about $15 or so for both the acetone and the graffiti stuff (which comes in a spary can).

The graffiti removal stuff is a good idea, andthanks for sharing the experience.

However, I would not recommend acetone or laquer thinner. You were fortunate that it did not soften the original finish into a gooy mess.

The original finish was probably a powder coat, which is commonly used in manufacturing processes, today. It is used for durability, and also because it hardens quicker than paint, which requires curing. Powder coat just "freezes" to a solid at room temperature.

The graffiti removal stuff sounds like something they sell in auto parts places called airplane paint remover... it's some powerful stuff. Make sure to wear gloves and work in a well vented area.

Thanks for the tip. I had the acetone on for only a few seconds just to get out the last 'tint' of paint. Much of it evaporated on contact, so it seemed. It also smells unreal, and I was almost overtaken by the fumes (I knocked over the dish and it spilled onto the ground). Maybe the quick on and off is what saved my original paint.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts