How to wirelessly connect my D*TV HD DVR to my network to share media?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

keithl1967

Original poster
Feb 7, 2008
Not sure if this is the correct forum, but can anyone tell me how to wirelessly connect my D*TV HD DVR to my network to share media?

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but can anyone tell me how to wirelessly connect my D*TV HD DVR to my network to share media?

Has anyone done this??

You need to use a wireless to ethernet bridge. There are several manufacturers who make these. Some have multiple ethernet connections, which is useful for hooking up additional devices, and others (often referred to as "wireless gaming adapters" have a single ethernet port. There is a long thread on this at DBSTalk which you might find helpful.

You need to use a wireless to ethernet bridge. There are several manufacturers who make these. Some have multiple ethernet connections, which is useful for hooking up additional devices, and others (often referred to as "wireless gaming adapters" have a single ethernet port. There is a long thread on this at DBSTalk which you might find helpful.

Thanks--I'll check out that site...I knew about the ethernet brdige for connecting ot the internet, but I've been unable to find any resources as to whther this will allow me to share media form my PC through the DVR...

Thanks--I'll check out that site...I knew about the ethernet brdige for connecting ot the internet, but I've been unable to find any resources as to whther this will allow me to share media form my PC through the DVR...

Yes it will. You'll need to run some sort of UPnP media server from your PC also. If you are on a non MCE PC something like Windows Media Connect should work.

The first time my receiver powered up it found my PC since it was running Vista MCE. I wasn't too impressed the first time I tried the media share but have since upgraded to the CE software and haven't had time to test again.

My Xbox 360 seems to do a better job but it's a bit more cumbersome to use for that purpose.

Direct TV site indicates that wireless is less than optimum for download speed. Is this true, is it faster via a wired connection? I have it wired now but wanted to go wireless but the download speed doesn't seem that fast now and I have a fast DSL connection normally. Really don't want to invest the money in wireless or even a powered plug in if the speed will be much slower.

There are different grades of wireless. 802.11b is (IIRC) 11 Mbps, 802.11g is 54 Mbps. There are now some "N" devices which are over 100 Mbps, but with "G" or faster, your internet connection will be the limiting factor. There are various speeds of DSL, but I am not aware of any which are as fast as wireless would be. The speed at which Directv streams the data will also limit the speed. For Media Share I think anything over 15-20 Mpbs would be adequate (depending on other traffic on the LAN).

Last edited:
There are different grades of wireless. 802.11a is (IIRC) 11 Mbps, 802.11g is 54 Mbps. There are now some "N" devices which are over 100 Mbps, but with "G" or faster, your internet connection will be the limiting factor. There are various speeds of DSL, but I am not aware of any which are as fast as wireless would be. The speed at which Directv streams the data will also limit the speed. For Media Share I think anything over 15-20 Mpbs would be adequate (depending on other traffic on the LAN).

Actually 802.11a is 54Mbps. I think you meant to say 802.11b which is 11Mbps.

There are different grades of wireless. 802.11b is (IIRC) 11 Mbps, 802.11g is 54 Mbps. There are now some "N" devices which are over 100 Mbps, but with "G" or faster, your internet connection will be the limiting factor. There are various speeds of DSL, but I am not aware of any which are as fast as wireless would be. The speed at which Directv streams the data will also limit the speed. For Media Share I think anything over 15-20 Mpbs would be adequate (depending on other traffic on the LAN).

If you are concerned about streaming media via the local network, the WAN speed does not impact this. There the limiting factor is the speed of your local network (and its reliability).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)