how will dish know about the lan connection?

Personally, I don't think E* gives a flip about where your receiver is. All they care about is that it calls home and gives them the info that they sell to whoever monitors viewing habits. And if it don't call home then they are not making that money so they charge you for it.

Your DNS server may be setting the TTL for the DNS answer to a low number. I know mine (using dnsmasq) is typically 60 seconds, so requests every 60 seconds would cause a DNS lookup.

Yeah I am running my own dns, the TTL is one hour, it just keeps asking the dns server and it is getting a cached result..

4963 requests from 1 622 in a day

I haven't even plugged in number 2

The receiver will phone home over the internet and your receiver ID is tied to your account. DiSH is not really using your phone number to police the location of your receiver. They just need to know if they need to bill you for PPV events.

8bitbytes is absolutely correct. Dish only needs the receivers ID to tie it to you. They don't care how that info gets to them, phone or internet.

I think the check on IP addresses is how it's going to work to verify you aren't account-stacking. Dish will never know your modem's MAC address, as that is known only to your provider's head end. But every IP packet has to have a source and destination address and port. Most people have home routers which is doing NAT, so all your receivers will appear to be coming from the same IP.

The guy with 2 IPs will of course give them grief and probably trigger the audit police.
The whole thing with checking IPS is kind of silly. IP packets can be routed easily and you would just need to vpn or bridge connections with a friend and all requests would appear from the same location.
True enough, but you will find that giving your neighbor Internet service is against your ISP's TOS. Dish may be relying on your ISP to enforce it's own policies. And of course if you think about it, you could also run a telephone wire to your neighbor's house and get around the Dish audit police while account stacking to your heart's content. Dish is relying on the telephone company to prevent that too.

I think the check on IP addresses is how it's going to work to verify you aren't account-stacking. Dish will never know your modem's MAC address, as that is known only to your provider's head end. But every IP packet has to have a source and destination address and port. Most people have home routers which is doing NAT, so all your receivers will appear to be coming from the same IP.

The guy with 2 IPs will of course give them grief and probably trigger the audit police.
True enough, but you will find that giving your neighbor Internet service is against your ISP's TOS. Dish may be relying on your ISP to enforce it's own policies. And of course if you think about it, you could also run a telephone wire to your neighbor's house and get around the Dish audit police while account stacking to your heart's content. Dish is relying on the telephone company to prevent that too.

Creating a bridge VPN network between two locations isn't usually against an ISP TOS. Otherwise we'd have a ton of ISP's canceling people!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)