HP buys Palm

Between Palm's phones being trumped by Android in general and HP Slate getting poor reviews, this could be one big company of suck. Hopefully they can make some nice competitive products to keep everyone innovating to keep up.

HP's attempt to be a player in the smartphone market without joining the me-too Android bandwagon, I guess.

They are the biggest PC maker in the world and seeing as Apple is leaving this space, they decided to get some chips in the other market.

Diogen.

Good thing wifey finally upgraded her Palm 750 to the Sprint Moment, I know she wouldn't want the HPalm now LOL

I hope they don't mess up webOS. I really wish that would have caught on with more people. Now it's gonna be new HPalm phones out there, I dunno, I just don't like what HP has ever done in the portable market.

Here
HP buys Palm -- Engadget

They sure did hide the news better than Apple...:)

Diogen.

Not really. There have been several bidders for the troubled Palm in the last week. Lenovo and Dell to name two others but they backed out stating the troubled Palm would cost too much to turn around to profitability. Then Palm considered selling off the company piecemeal and then hpq announced they ( last man standing) had a deal they would honor. htc also considered but backed out stating the company was too expensive. The market value today is about 1.09 Billion and the purchase price is for 1.2B. Palm stock quickly jumped from 4.73 to 5.78 overnight. Palm's most recent high was at 5.75. HPQ lost about 3/4% upon the announcement.

Only speculation, diogen, like the forum posts about dish and tivo. What I didn't hear was that Lenovo was interested. But not being a stock holder, in either hpq or Palm, I didn't really pay much attention. My interest now is how this acquisition may affect Apple or Google, two I do own.

If you wish to claim it was a complete surprise to everyone, and there was never any discussion, be my guest. Presently I'm too busy hunting for details on the oil spill, a subject that matters more to me than Palm. :) What was a surprise was the timing, not who was interested in buying.

Speculation, yes, all there was to go by until yesterday...

There are two parts to the issue: the sale of Palm and the buyer, i.e. HP.

The first was known for a while. Including HTC's (eventual) statement it isn't interested.
The second - HP as a buyer - wasn't. If you want to claim the opposite, be my guest.

Talking about personal interests, the last thing I want to know is your stock interests...

Diogen.

You think Apple will get out of the PC business?
Not exactly.
But there is every sign that the Mac business is put on the backburner.
And rightfully so - its contribution to the bottom line (in %) is shrinking for a few years now, since the takeoff of the iPod, I think.
And all those years, despite its marketing campaign (and expenses), its world market share has hardly changed.

Hence, most likely more attention will be paid to the iP-system (iPod/iPhone/iPad) and its derivatives.

That's what I meant by Apple leaving this space...

Diogen.

World market share hasn't changed much, that is true. But US market share has changed to about 10% at the low end of the guesses to a bit higher than that.

I think there may come a time that Apple will drop out of the desktop space as laptops and other portables keep making inroads into their market. As you may have noticed, laptops/netbooks are picking up more and more share of the major player's sales.