HR20 w/3LNB Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

billybill

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 13, 2004
I believe it is not a problem but wanted to verify here that the HR20 does in fact work with a 3LNB. If i just get the HR20 is there a commitment period or can I purchase it outright?

I live in Ronkonkoma, NY. At the moment I can not get a 5LNB dish because my current dish is mounted on a tripod on my roof. I have had 2 techs come out to try and mount the 5 LNB on my roof but I will not pick up the lowest of the satellites because of trees in my neighbors front yard. I don't want to get myself into a 2 year commitment if I am going to be unable to get all the sats.

I believe it is not a problem but wanted to verify here that the HR20 does in fact work with a 3LNB. If i just get the HR20 is there a commitment period or can I purchase it outright?

I live in Ronkonkoma, NY. At the moment I can not get a 5LNB dish because my current dish is mounted on a tripod on my roof. I have had 2 techs come out to try and mount the 5 LNB on my roof but I will not pick up the lowest of the satellites because of trees in my neighbors front yard. I don't want to get myself into a 2 year commitment if I am going to be unable to get all the sats.

Yes you can use your HR20-700 with a 3 lnb dish.
Keep in mind that you will not get any channels that reside on the 99 or 103 * sats until you get the new 5 LNB dish set up.
Those may be locals and RSN's at the monent , with more channels added in the future.

From what I've seen, you can only lease the HD DVR and yes there is a 2 year commitment with any advanced reciever

Jimbo

The 3 LNB dish looks at satellites located at 101/110 & 119 degrees the 5 LNB dish looks at satellites located at 99/101/103/110 & 119 so except for the satellite at 99 it is covering the same area of the sky as the 3 LNB dish. The 99degree satellite is higher in elevation than the rest of the satellites so you probably need to try a different installation company.

Yes you can use your HR20-700 with a 3 lnb dish.
Keep in mind that you will not get any channels that reside on the 99 or 103 * sats until you get the new 5 LNB dish set up.
Those may be locals and RSN's at the monent , with more channels added in the future.

From what I've seen, you can only lease the HD DVR and yes there is a 2 year commitment with any advanced reciever

Jimbo

I thought that you could buy it at around $600 with no commitment.

I thought that you could buy it at around $600 with no commitment.

I originally thought that ($ 750) , but I have never found a place to do that.
All your BB and CC types will not sell outright.

Maybe online you might be able to, but how would you convince D* to list it as owned ?

Jimbo

I originally thought that ($ 750) , but I have never found a place to do that.
All your BB and CC types will not sell outright.

Maybe online you might be able to, but how would you convince D* to list it as owned ?

Jimbo

Good point. Maybe you would have to show them proof of payment.

The 3 LNB dish looks at satellites located at 101/110 & 119 degrees the 5 LNB dish looks at satellites located at 99/101/103/110 & 119 so except for the satellite at 99 it is covering the same area of the sky as the 3 LNB dish. The 99degree satellite is higher in elevation than the rest of the satellites so you probably need to try a different installation company.

Any suggestions for an installation company to use on eastern Long Island?

I called Directv directly for the upgrade both times. The first time I had 2 guys show up in a beat up pick up truck that looked like they came from a junk yard. One of the guys walked around to the back of my house, said it wasn't going to work and was gone in under 5 minutes. The next time 1 installer came and he got on my roof and tried from different locations on my roof to get a good signal. He also told me that all the channels on the lower elevation satellite were going to moved to a higher elevation satellite soon. So I'm not sure if he knew what he was talking about or just trying to lessen my disappointment.

The problem I presently have is that when I originally got HD about 3 years ago I started losing the HD signals in the spring when the leaves started growing and had my 3 LNB mounted on a tripod on my roof. I have no problem getting signal strengths in the 90s but the new dish will not mount where I have my current one.

Any suggestions for an installation company to use on eastern Long Island?

I called Directv directly for the upgrade both times. The first time I had 2 guys show up in a beat up pick up truck that looked like they came from a junk yard. One of the guys walked around to the back of my house, said it wasn't going to work and was gone in under 5 minutes. The next time 1 installer came and he got on my roof and tried from different locations on my roof to get a good signal. He also told me that all the channels on the lower elevation satellite were going to moved to a higher elevation satellite soon. So I'm not sure if he knew what he was talking about or just trying to lessen my disappointment.

The problem I presently have is that when I originally got HD about 3 years ago I started losing the HD signals in the spring when the leaves started growing and had my 3 LNB mounted on a tripod on my roof. I have no problem getting signal strengths in the 90s but the new dish will not mount where I have my current one.

Can they find a better place to put the new dish ? Maybe a pole mount, or somewhere else in the yard ?

The installer was correct, but it depends what channels he was talking about, alot of channels will be moved to the 99 and 103 locations as they change to MPEG4 format.

jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.