HR24 and Slingbox Pro HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NutFlush920

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
Green Bay, WI
For many years I've had my Slingbox Pro HD connected to a HR 21 via component cable while HDMI went to the television. It's been awhile since I used my Slingbox and have replaced the HR 21 with the HR24 since.

I have it all hooked up exactly like I always have and when trying to use the Slingbox I get an error "Your TV does not this program's content protection. Replacing the TV's HDMI cable with component cables will allow you to view the program.".

I obviously don't wanna give up picture quality by giving up HDMI to the TV so what can I do? What changed from the 21 to the 24?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441064664.162265.jpg

For many years I've had my Slingbox Pro HD connected to a HR 21 via component cable while HDMI went to the television. It's been awhile since I used my Slingbox and have replaced the HR 21 with the HR24 since.

I have it all hooked up exactly like I always have and when trying to use the Slingbox I get an error "Your TV does not this program's content protection. Replacing the TV's HDMI cable with component cables will allow you to view the program.".

I obviously don't wanna give up picture quality by giving up HDMI to the TV so what can I do? What changed from the 21 to the 24?View attachment 109553
Component cables do HD perfectly fine, it just takes more than 1 HDMI cable.

I really don't want to fish wires through my wall although it wouldn't be hard. Is there any other way to use the SB and keep HDMI to the TV?

Perhaps HDMI splitter then have one going to the TV and the other going to a HDMI to Component converter to clear up the protection issue?

I'd sell the SB but they aren't worth much now days and is more valuable to keep it.

Add an inexpensive HDMI splitter from Monoprice and it will keep the HDCP in tact even when the TV is off. Then the sling box will work as you are used to.

So just add a Monoprice HDMI splitter between the HR24 and TV? Component from the HR24 to the Slingbox Pro HD will then work as it did before?

Im confused?.....Keep the hdmi hooked to the tv....and on your HR 24 hook the component cabled to sling box? Of cours sling box goes by reciver...

The splitter keeps the copy protection in tact and happy, thus keeps your component outputs working.
Awesome. That's exactly what I need. Now that you say that I just tested it with the TV on and it works fine. The minute the TV goes off, so does my video stream on Sling.

Wonder why that changed from the way the 21 worked.

I'm not gonna buy a new Slingbox. Will any cheap HDMI splitter do this? I have Amazon Prime and this box costs $10 more on Amazon.

I'll settle for this solution if it works most of the time. I don't use the Slingbox all that often anyways.

Last edited:
i believe you need a powered HDMI splitter for this to work. the reciever is trying to communicate with whatever is on the other end of the HDMI cable to complete the HDCP handshake. which is why when the TV is off, your SB gets the error (no handshake on the HDMI). the thing with HDMI splitters, i've heard alot of them tend to fail. FWIW

The key is to keep the sling box using the component outputs. There is really no value to place shifting HDMI over component, the internet connection will be the limitation in quality, not the component vs HDMI connection.

The powered HDMI splitter keeps the HDCP connection even when the TV is off. That is why when the TV is on that your sling box is getting signal - it has the HDCP connection on the HDMI port. There is no HDCP on the component output.

Adding a $20-$30 powered HDMI splitter eliminates the problem. I've had this setup for many years using a 4-1 HDMI splitter to use my Genie in multiple rooms and reduce receiver fees.

The reason you are noticing it now, DirecTV had used HDCP exclusive to PPV, then added it to HBO, then to all premiums. Recently they added it to only ESPN, and then a few months later to every single channel network wide.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)