HWS, Super Joey, and 211K install recommendations (?)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ggw2000

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 20, 2004
Out here somewhere
I'm thinking about upgrading to a HWS, Super Joey, and keeping one of my 211Ks on my account because I have a camper that we use it for in the summer and use it in spare bedroom other times... I have done some research and think I know what is required but wanted to run it by some knowledgeable members...

Current setup is Dish EA to DPP44, 722K and (2) 211Ks (all owned).. I would be removing the 722K and one of the 211Ks from account. The DPP44 would remain and the 211K would be running off port 1 of switch with pwr inserter. Port 2 of switch would go to an "Integrator" whose output would go to Super Joey. Ports 3&4 of switch would go to a "Solo Node" and output to HWS. There is also a line that runs between the solo node and the integrator. I see that the HWS and maybe the Super Joey lines require 3GHZ RG-6 cable. Currently I have regular RG-6 cable to those install locations so I believe they need to be replaced with new cable (?).
Does this sound like the total hardware needed for this install scenario?

Now for some overall questions....

1. Can I assume that Dish will not let you do a self install of the above equipment even if you were to buy all of it?
2. If you cannot do a self install, other than a new "2yr" contract, what is the use of buying your own equipment if there is not savings realized that I am aware of?
Thanks in advance,
Gerry

What you said above sounds like you have it figured out.

1. If you purchase all of your equipment then you can install it yourself. You're looking at spending close to $500 to do that though.
2. If you purchase you have the ability to install it yourself. You can avoid a contract and you can deactivate any equipment when you want without having to return it. Other than that there are no benefits for owning your own equipment. The 211 receiver must be purchased to be on a Hopper account though.

What you said above sounds like you have it figured out.

1. If you purchase all of your equipment then you can install it yourself. You're looking at spending close to $500 to do that though.
2. If you purchase you have the ability to install it yourself. You can avoid a contract and you can deactivate any equipment when you want without having to return it. Other than that there are no benefits for owning your own equipment. The 211 receiver must be purchased to be on a Hopper account though.

Scherrman, thanks for response and as stated I own the equipment. It looks to me in pricing equipment that I can buy everything for a little over $400 plus shipping.. Will have to decide which way to go as the $400 plus isn't a drop in the bucket as compared to new 2 yr agreement....
Gerry

Scherrman, thanks for response and as stated I own the equipment. It looks to me in pricing equipment that I can buy everything for a little over $400 plus shipping.. Will have to decide which way to go as the $400 plus isn't a drop in the bucket as compared to new 2 yr agreement....
Gerry
Did you check here? Free shipping most things and a good on line company.

http://www.dishdepot.com/

THe new commitment would be a maximum ETF of $210(if cancelled in the first month), so that may be a huge savings.
To touch on the purchasing of equipment, if you buy it through dish, you cannot self install. If you buy it through a retailer or third party, you can self install. You can have up to 2 211's on the hopper account, given they are purchased(I know you mentioned that, that's more for other readers). From the dish to the node, and to the HWS/SJ must be rated 3Ghz Rg6 cables(some people hve had rg59 and been fine, but it's almost a guarantee in most cases to give you troubles down the road), any other joeys can use RG59 and above(recommend RG6 anyways if you're gonna do it.)

THe new commitment would be a maximum ETF of $210(if cancelled in the first month), so that may be a huge savings.
To touch on the purchasing of equipment, if you buy it through dish, you cannot self install. If you buy it through a retailer or third party, you can self install. You can have up to 2 211's on the hopper account, given they are purchased(I know you mentioned that, that's more for other readers). From the dish to the node, and to the HWS/SJ must be rated 3Ghz Rg6 cables(some people hve had rg59 and been fine, but it's almost a guarantee in most cases to give you troubles down the road), any other joeys can use RG59 and above(recommend RG6 anyways if you're gonna do it.)

Thanks to all for input! Will probably end up with 2 yr contract if I do this but need to think about it more. I am a little confused on this RG-6 3 Ghz. All my wiring in house is RG-6 as I tore out all the RG-59 years ago. Is there a special RG-6 that is 3Ghz????
Or will regular RG-6 work?
Thanks

Like I had mentioned, there are success stories from members here. That is not the norm. The 3Ghz would only be required from dish to node, node to H/SJ. I beleive someone here said they had 1Ghz RG6, but if you want to verify yours just look at the cable should have print on it, will tell you if it is 3Ghz

If it is quality cable, then you will probably be OK with the existing cable.

There is little or nothing special about 3Ghz RG6 cable, other than it is of good enough quality to be tested/rated for 3Ghz by the manufacturer. Years ago no one was explicitly testing/rating for it, but quality cable from the "pre 3ghz" era will likely function just fine.

Obviously lower grade cable could be a problem, and there is no easy way to tell just by looking at it. Therefore to avoid potential issues, a Dish tech is not permitted to use existing cable if the 3ghz rating is not on the cable jacket - although anecdotally many do not seem to follow that guideline.

If I were self installing, I wouldn't immediately replace the cable, particularly if I was comfortable with what I had put in. The problem is since the tech is not supposed to use it, a by the book tech will (and probably should) want to replace it. You may or may not get them to budge on it.

Reactions: ChadT41
I installed some RG-6 over 25 years ago and my Hopper has worked perfectly on it for 2 1/2 years. This cable goes from the node to the Hopper...

If it is quality cable, then you will probably be OK with the existing cable.

There is little or nothing special about 3Ghz RG6 cable, other than it is of good enough quality to be tested/rated for 3Ghz by the manufacturer. Years ago no one was explicitly testing/rating for it, but quality cable from the "pre 3ghz" era will likely function just fine.

Obviously lower grade cable could be a problem, and there is no easy way to tell just by looking at it. Therefore to avoid potential issues, a Dish tech is not permitted to use existing cable if the 3ghz rating is not on the cable jacket - although anecdotally many do not seem to follow that guideline.

If I were self installing, I wouldn't immediately replace the cable, particularly if I was comfortable with what I had put in. The problem is since the tech is not supposed to use it, a by the book tech will (and probably should) want to replace it. You may or may not get them to budge on it.

This is what I wanted to say. Ultimately, if you plan on replacing some, just do all with Rg6/3Ghz, but if you don't want to, you should be fine if it acts up, replace it, but no need to really get to into it at first. Keep your costs minimal(self install).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)