Hypothetical Question! used 3900 still has programming

BOSHAE

Original poster
Apr 14, 2004
Let's say you bought a 3900 at a flea market and when you tested it you found out it still received programming. You might have a dishpro twin and only be able to pick up 110 but you were able to pick up some of those channels for instance maybe the HBO channel on 110. I wonder what that person should do?

BOSHAE said:
Let's say you bought a 3900 at a flea market and when you tested it you found out it still received programming. You might have a dishpro twin and only be able to pick up 110 but you were able to pick up some of those channels for instance maybe the HBO channel on 110. I wonder what that person should do?

I'd imagine if the person had to ask the question in the first place, they'd be morally challenged and apt to steal the signal regardless of advice. Gee, I wonder who that could be...

I'd say activate the reciever under your own name... some fool is still paying $5 a month for it, and when they do the math, they'll figure it out and deactivate it on you.

Hey I'm innocent I don't think I would have posted if I was going to use it. Actually I was suprised because I couldn't believe it.

If the receiver was disconnected before DISH sent out a command to turn off the equipment's reception and that receiver sat in a closet for 3-4 months it will still receive the services it was last turned on for. If you reconnect it and the information is in DISH'S data stream to turn off that receiver it will shut off the programming, but if the data stream no longer has that information it will stay on. This is true with blue cards, but yellow cards seem to turn off unless they are contimously connected to the data stream. Watch the free programming until DISH turns it off it is DISH system failure not theft of service.

If there was a software upgrade between the time the receiver was disconnceted and the time you hook it up, that might zap the programming to.

If you swap receivers, it can happen to. I swapped a 5000 for a 301 about a month ago. Couple weeks ago I was using the 5000 to do some dish aiming and all the programming was still on there (reckon it was only locals, but they were still there)

You should call Dish and have them check and see if it has been stolen. If so Call your local Police. I would not want to be in possession of stolen equipment.

A similar thing happened to me last week. I had a 2700 sitting in my garage that I had deactivated a month ago but had never received the kill signal. I gave it to my brother and when I set it up at his house it was still activated with the programming I was receiving. Even an hour after calling Dish and having them put it on his account it was still receiving programming associated with my account. I haven't called him this week to see if it finally changed over but I imagine it did at some point. Either way the only party being hurt in my case is Dish since my brother and I both did what we were supposed to do from a legal standpoint.

Ok, I have heard of people ordering the "Everything Pack, keeping that for a month, and then disconnecting at least 1 recvr or 2, whatever, then call and downgrade their service. The point is they keep 1 recvr connected, and that recvr actually takes the downgrade, but the disconnected recvr(s) KEEP the proramming they had. The recvrs are then reconnected, and they still have the "Everything Pack" package on those recvrs. Some claim they've been recvng "free" programming for almost a year.(on the disconnected recvrs) Why do they not update? Why would that constant DATASTREAM stop after awhile, shouldnt it be constant?
Tempting???
-Freya1

Actually it wouldn't change Dish expenses not for one penny, just a little loss in revenue from one potential customer - all the channels already uplinked and transmitting.

I am guessing that they quit sending down the kill signal because they can only do so much at once with their signals since they have so many activations and deactivations to do. If they had to keep sending down a kill signal for every receiver they ever had in the stream then the stream probably could not handle it.

If someone has a yellow card and it was not hooked up when it gets deactivated then would it still receive a signal if you hooked it back up a few days later or if someone else activated it on their account and it got activated before the receiver got connected then would it receive the programming that the previous customer had ordered just as the blue card does or would it just automatically start receiving the programming it is supposed to get?

Does this happen with DirecTv, Voom, or other satellite providers? Does this happen with cable receivers too? Is this a systemwide problem or just a Dish Network problem? Some people may not be receiving as many channels as they should be getting or vice versa.

Smith said:
Actually it wouldn't change Dish expenses not for one penny, just a little loss in revenue from one potential customer - all the channels already uplinked and transmitting.

So we should all follow that logic and do it, huh? :no

It is true receivers that have been taken out of the stream for months before they took the kill hit will retain programming for a while when reconnected months later, but it will eventually be killed as Dish send ECM's out that will take care of these rogue receivers.

boba said:
If the receiver was disconnected before DISH sent out a command to turn off the equipment's reception and that receiver sat in a closet for 3-4 months it will still receive the services it was last turned on for. If you reconnect it and the information is in DISH'S data stream to turn off that receiver it will shut off the programming, but if the data stream no longer has that information it will stay on. This is true with blue cards, but yellow cards seem to turn off unless they are contimously connected to the data stream. Watch the free programming until DISH turns it off it is DISH system failure not theft of service.

...so by this reasoning, if you slip a pack of gum into your pocket, walk out of the store without paying for it and they 'fail to notice it', it's not stealing, right?

Dish seems to send a desub command down the datastream after you cancel you subscription. If the unit is unplugged from the stream during this time, it will not be desubbed.

I don't know the length of time the desub command is sent initially, but afterwards it is only sent every few months or so.

rk69rn said:
Dish seems to send a desub command down the datastream after you cancel you subscription. If the unit is unplugged from the stream during this time, it will not be desubbed.

I don't know the length of time the desub command is sent initially, but afterwards it is only sent every few months or so.

You are right. Dish does keep on sending the desub command every month or two.
I resently took an old 4500 out of the basement and set it up ( to make sure it still worked) it was in the basement for over 2 years. It still had programming, but after a few days it lost the programming. Which was fine because I was selling the 4500.

This whole gum analogy sort of bothers me. Let's at least talk about TV services.

Suppose you move into a new house and the cable is already connected. Would it be morally wrong to watch the signal on the cable?
Would it be morally acceptable to watch until they come out and shut of the signal? (As a side note, I know of several people who have cancelled cable and the cable guy never came out to disconnect ... they called at once a month for a few months to remind the cable company that they have yet to disconnect service. Eventually they gave up. As far as I know they still have cable services.)

There is a difference in the method the signal provider uses to disconnect between cable and satellite, but it is the responsibility of the provider to cut the signal after the customer stops paying for the services.

Again, I have a lot of respect for all of your opinions, but to me it seems like if the signal is there and Echostar has the power to disconnect the signal but they don't, there is no ethical issue.

Redrhino

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)