I also want DISH HD tonight

NABRIL

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
Hello all
New to the forum. Read a few threads earlier, and I feel like a total SAT/HD/tech idiot. Wow. Not more answers, but more questions.... This forum is excellent.

My situation: Fujitsu plasma with Dish 510 DVR. I am contemplating the upgrade to the 942 DVR, and I guess I need to decide whether to lease or buy (came across this on many threads). My reason for wanting to upgrade is to continue under the assumption that the image will look a lot better from a component video source than S-video. I am way wrong on that assumption? I am going crazy trying to get the 942 from Dish for free (or cheaper), but no luck so far. So, I don't necesarily want HD programming; I want component outputs!!
I also read about HD antennas for watching local channels (I believe called OTA..).

1) Is it as simple as buying a Terk (for example) antenna and connecting it?

2) I see that the antenna comes with a coax connector. Where would that connector go? My plasma has a coax video input--would it go in there? Or could I connect it to the antenna input of my Dish DVR?

Thanks for anyone's help,
Norman

Welcome to the forum.

The SD video will not look that much better over the component than it does over the S-Video. The HD channels however will make you finally understand why your Plasma is so cool HDTV really makes your plasma shine.

The OTA antenna will plug into its own jack on the back of the 942 to tune in your local OTA HD/SD Digital channels. They will be mixed into the satellite program guide.

Don't get a TERK brand antenna, they dont work very well. Also any clip-on to your sat dish antenna also don't work very well. Get a regular ugly antenna for reception.

Cyclone said:
Welcome to the forum.

The SD video will not look that much better over the component than it does over the S-Video. The HD channels however will make you finally understand why your Plasma is so cool HDTV really makes your plasma shine.

The OTA antenna will plug into its own jack on the back of the 942 to tune in your local OTA HD/SD Digital channels. They will be mixed into the satellite program guide.

Don't get a TERK brand antenna, they dont work very well. Also any clip-on to your sat dish antenna also don't work very well. Get a regular ugly antenna for reception.
thanks for the quick reply Cyclone
1) Understood
2) Can I connect the HD antenna to my existing receiver? or do I HAVE TO upgrade the E* receiver to an HD model like the 811 or 942 in order for the antenna to receive properly?

Thanks again

Only Dish Network's HDTV receivers have OTA tuners built into them. These are the models: 6000 w/optional 8VSB tuner card, 811, 921, & 942. Right now Dish does not the room on the satellites to put all of the local HDTV channels on them, so they instead built a OTA tuner in to the satellite boxes. Now they just mix the terrestrial and the satellite channels together.

you've got to get hd

if that tv is hd you have got to get it. you will not want to look at anything else again. component cables and s-vhs are 20'th century. burn them or sel them to someone. :)

I understand what you are saying. My TV, unfortunately, is an older model that has component inputs as its best option--meaning no HDMI. Since the TV was free, I shouldn't complain too much, huh?
Following what I just said, do I continue with my quest for a 942 and the HD antenna?

you've got to get hd

if that tv is hd you have got to get it. you will not want to look at anything else again. component cables and s-vhs are 20'th century. burn them or sel them to someone. :) winegard square shooter is a good antenna. so is the channel master stealth. you don't want to miss monday night football in HD. indoor antennas are generally poor. so, unless you are on top of the trans mitting towers i wouldn't bother.

Cyclone said:
Welcome to the forum.

The SD video will not look that much better over the component than it does over the S-Video.

I will give some advantage to 942 unit for it's SD output. It provide much better picture with SD or HD outputs on regular non HD chanells.

colinbarton---you paid $200? where? how? when?
where can i find the antenna's you suggested? Radio Crack?

the tv is strictly a monitor, so no tuner.

I have had very good luck with the Channel Master line of products - highly recommended! I was very pleasently surprised with the performance of the CM4228. I am in a very ugly reception area and this thing just shines! Our digitals are all in UHF. You can go to www.antennaweb.org to learn more.

--Doug

i paid $200 from dish for my 942. Channel master is suppose to be pretty good also, but i have on and it is having problems. think it might be a bad connection or poorly directed.

Component with HD will look awesome. Make sure you tell your plasma that you are hooking up a Y PR PB input not an RGB when you get the 942 otherwise the colors will be outta whack and youll be posting about the funny colors on your new 942.

The 942 is awesome i have a 510 and i got a 921 but it sucks so i gave up on it and got a 942. Man is it better then the 921.

Terk antennas are fine the TV38 is huge and works good. The little ones that bolt to the dish do not work very well. The TV36 is nice too. Just get one and have your wife or a friend watch the screen to see when you get some signal and to fine tune it for max reception.

Jon

Do the SD channels on the 942 look better than they do on the 811? Man, I have much better looking SD channels with the 301 than I do with the 811. I moved up to HD over a year and a half ago. The SD picture (HD is great) looked alot better with the 301 hooked to my HDTV.

Tom Bombadil said:
The 301 and 811 should look very similar if you are using the s-video outputs from both. SD over the DVI output from the 811 is worse.
I use component hookup for both receivers. The 301 has MUCH better SD than the 811.

I have a 510, a 4700, and an 811. I previously owned a Dishplayer and a 4000. SD quality from the s-video output from the 510, 4700, DP and 4000 were essentially identical. I conducted a number of comparisons over the years. I've seen 301s too and they looked identical to the other SD receivers I've seen.

SD output from the 811 is ever so slightly worse, and has a slight greenish tint to it. The tint can be adjusted to balanced. Once balanced, you have to look very closely to tell them apart. My wife could not see a difference.

kpc007 said:
I use component hookup for both receivers. The 301 has MUCH better SD than the 811.

Are you making the comparison using the same television? If the 811 is powering a much larger display, the SD picture quality will appear worse because the larger display will amplify any imperfections, artifacting, etc. I thought that my 811 (when I had it) was bad with SD as well, but then I hooked it up to my 27" bedroom TV, and it looked almost exactly the same as my 322 hooked up via S-Video.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)