Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Haller

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 11, 2003
pittsburgh pa
Fios just became availble in my neighborhood:) I found the fibre internet just 5 bucks more than regular DSL. By some cost cutting on my regular phone service I managed to save over 40 bucks a month even with the FIOS. A win win if you ask me:)

Is it truly as fast as they say? With no loading time on websites provided they are working well?

Once the fios is working I might try Voice over IP. any have that? it would save another 20 bucks a month.

they talked about future cable like service, we shall see. at the moment were satisfied with E, and plus were lifetime sky angel:) Best 100 bucks I ever spent!

all of this wouldnt happen till the end of january:( They have to run a new aerial cable, and replace the NID.

our old 1gig speed hp vector computers will be the slowdown I guess, although they have over 500 meg of ram each.

Last edited:
korsjs said:
we also have a fios forum here and would love to have you drop by.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/forumdisplay.php?f=77
i think you will enjoy fios. what package are you getting?

just the DSL to start, tv isnt available yet, but is expected soon. They just wired in front of our home a month ago/

I called to cancel some unnecessary phone services and foun out fibre internet was available,

I cancelled some underused phone lines, and unneeded services saving big bucks

Bob Haller said:
Is it truly as fast as they say? With no loading time on websites provided they are working well?
Yes it's as fast. Well, it can be. Most webservers won't fill your pipe just because their pipes aren't big enough. Plus the connection is fast enough that downloading a page just doesn't take long. But I have been able to max out my connection both in testing and in practical use.

Once the fios is working I might try Voice over IP. any have that? it would save another 20 bucks a month.
Not yet, but it's on my to-do list. I'm looking at ViaTalk. They seem to have the best reviews, most features, best support, and least complaints of the few providers available in my area.

our old 1gig speed hp vector computers will be the slowdown I guess, although they have over 500 meg of ram each.
Shouldn't be a problem. FiOS is no different then say a 100mbit lan at an office...and 1GHz comptuers long have been "good enough" for the corporate world.

My mom and stepdad have Vonage working just fine over FiOS. They had their number ported to Vonage with little issues. They just have to have the FiOS automatically billed to a credit card.

That sounds odd. After reading a brochure, I called a Fios rep here in No. VA and was told I needed to not only have regular phone service to get Fios, I needed to subscribe to a minimum package. This included caller ID & something else I don't buy today. But over all, I think the total voice & broadband cost was to be less than I pay now, even with adding the services pack.

Of course, then I found out my neighborhood was listed in the 3-7 years out band.

I am a Cox Cable Modem subscriber and I am happy with Sunrocket Voip service @ $17.00 a month vs. BellSouth @ $44.00 a month and have more bells & whistles to boot.
BryanSR

Neutron said:
My mom and stepdad have Vonage working just fine over FiOS. They had their number ported to Vonage with little issues. They just have to have the FiOS automatically billed to a credit card.
This brings up a very good point. If you are seriously considering going with VoIP, order FiOS so that your billing is seperated from your phone. You'll have to use a credit card, but it saves a lot of hassle down the road. If you cancel/port your phone service, there is a good possibility you would also lose your internet when the account is terminated.

cdru said:
This brings up a very good point. If you are seriously considering going with VoIP, order FiOS so that your billing is seperated from your phone. You'll have to use a credit card, but it saves a lot of hassle down the road. If you cancel/port your phone service, there is a good possibility you would also lose your internet when the account is terminated.
I believe if you get the Residential service that they can bill it on your home phone bill or seperately.

I ordered the Business service (so i could have static IPs) and it is billed seperately...they could not join the bills.

StevenD said:
I believe if you get the Residential service that they can bill it on your home phone bill or seperately.

I ordered the Business service (so i could have static IPs) and it is billed seperately...they could not join the bills.
That is correct. For residental service, it can be billed by itself, or if you have Verizon "POTS" service. It can't be combined billed with VoiceWing though...only "POTS".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts