I do not need 16 tuners! Is there any other significant improvements over the HWS?

jerryez

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Pensacola,FL
I do not need 16 tuners! Is there any other significant improvements over the HWS? I have the new CUI and hate it, but is there any functions that the Hopper 3 has that the HWS does not? Also, any major Hopper 3 bugs that the HWS does not have?

I do not need 16 tuners! Is there any other significant improvements over the HWS? I have the new CUI and hate it, but is there any functions that the Hopper 3 has that the HWS does not? Also, any major Hopper 3 bugs that the HWS does not have?
CUI?

Tuner-wise, the HWS would have more than sufficed for us. Have never come close to using more than 4 tuners at a time. But, I wanted the New Toy. However, I could easily go back if I had to.

Once you have the Hopper 3 you'll never want to go back to the HWS. Never having to worry about recording conflicts is great. The multi screen is fantastic, especially if you enjoy sports. Netflix and YouTube work well.

It's by far the best system I've ever had.

Bull feathers. You lose redundancy. And search this site- plenty of "concerns."

You lose the red recording lite. Some say so what, you can....

I want the immediate reassurance that the recording is in progress.

2.5 hr guide vs 3.

CUI removes the ability to shift a recording to a second Hopper when the first is busy. MAJOR concern if you haven't moved to the no -redundant H3.

I see NOTHING of value of an H3 over two HWS. But Dish has chosen to destroy a major feature by not allowing shifting a recording to a second Hopper under CUI.

2.5 hr guide vs 3.

CUI removes the ability to shift a recording to a second Hopper when the first is busy. MAJOR concern if you haven't moved to the no -redundant H3.

I see NOTHING of value of an H3 over two HWS. But Dish has chosen to destroy a major feature by not allowing shifting a recording to a second Hopper under CUI.

You are getting the CUI anyway and you are going to be slower. If redundancy is so important get a RAID EHD - Hopper3 supports USB3 for higher speed transfers. Too bad for you, if you want to hide in the past...

Amazon product ASIN B00KU68A1A

Reactions: charlesrshell
You are getting the CUI anyway and you are going to be slower. If redundancy is so important get a RAID EHD - Hopper3 supports USB3 for higher speed transfers. Too bad for you, if you want to hide in the past...

I think he means if primary DVR craps out he would have a backup DVR.

You lose the red recording lite. Some say so what, you can.... I want the immediate reassurance that the recording is in progress.

2.5 hr guide vs 3. CUI removes the ability to shift a recording to a second Hopper when the first is busy. MAJOR concern if you haven't moved to the no -redundant H3. I see NOTHING of value of an H3 over two HWS. But Dish has chosen to destroy a major feature by not allowing shifting a recording to a second Hopper under CUI.

Well... Until recently they did not allow 2 H3's, so you can sorta/kinda see why it was left off the CUI. Probably Dish thinks (regarding the H3) that nothing can possibly go wrong, go wrong, go wrong...

You are getting the CUI anyway and you are going to be slower.

Speaking of getting the CUI, Dish doesn't seem to be in all that much of a hurry to update the Hoppers. Perhaps they're rethinking pushing it down to the H1's, or maybe they're retooling the CUI to make the code more efficient so it will function acceptably with the H1. Ah, unlikely.

2.5 hr guide vs 3.

I know your specific situation is more important than anyone else's for you but yours is very unique. I can't imagine there are too many customers out there with the same needs as you for TV.

I use to have two HWS receivers as well but I had them more for the extra tuners and the redundancy was just an added bonus. I considered the loss of redundancy when going to the Hopper 3 but the benefits were much better. I got more tuners and features and managed to lower my bill.

Being upset about losing the recording light makes me laugh a little. I get why one might like to have it but to me it's just such a small thing to be concerned with. To each their own I guess.

I honestly didn't even notice much of a difference with the guide.

Reactions: charlesrshell
What is the software version for the new CUI? I honestly don't know if I have it on my Hopper 3 yet or not. I feel a little embarrassed not knowing now when at one time I use to be in the know before most.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)