I got my 721

GaryPen

Rich or poor, it's good to have money.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Got the 721 yesterday. Self-install went smoothly. Downloaded new SW in about 33 minutes. (Watched the progress by going to "software upgrade" in the system setup menu.) Seems to work fine so far. I'm actually quite pleased, and a bit surprised. ;)

-I recorded multiple simultaneous programs.
-Watched one program while recording another.
-I really love the default "1 minute early, 3 minutes late" feature.
-I like the interface. Very modern compared to the antique DOS-like interface of the 811, 510, and 311.
-Caller ID works ok. (Although, instead of saying "unknown name" when the number is known, but the name isn't, it has a "0" where the name would be.)
-EPG goes 8 days out. Is that per spec? I seem to remember the 510 going further, but could be wrong. (It's already disconnected.)
- I did not encounter "77 Unknown" bug that so many have written about.
-PVR and Timer lists were easy to read and understand, unlike some people's complaints. (I did notice that when an event is recording, it is listed twice, once on top with the program name, and once on the bottom with the time and channel info.)
-No missed recordings.
-No random reboots.

Of course, I've only used it less than a day. But, it seems to be pretty good so far. (I wonder why, if the 921 is based on the same code, they can't get the 921 to function as well?)

There are a couple of noticable bugs and dislikes, but nothing major:
-Caller ID name unknown displays as "0".
-Currently-recording events display twice in the PVR list.
-The upper left corner of full-screen menus are bowed inward. (Broadcast image is fine. Drop-down menu boxes are fine.) Does anybody else have this?
-When a simultaneous timer recording on the 2nd tuner begins, a dialog box comes on asking if I want to switch from the current program to the recording. What happens if I wasn't there to click OK? Would it simply not record the 2nd timer? That would suck!

GaryPen said:
I did notice that when an event is recording, it is listed twice, once on top with the program name, and once on the bottom with the time and channel info.

When a simultaneous timer recording on the 2nd tuner begins, a dialog box comes on asking if I want to switch from the current program to the recording. What happens if I wasn't there to click OK? Would it simply not record the 2nd timer? That would suck!

The item at the bottom of the list is a copy of the timer and it will always be there if it is a recurring timer. If you select that "timer" listing it will take you straight to a screen to modify it. Saves a teeny bit of time rather than going to menu>timers>item>modify. As your list of recordings grows larger, you won't notice this timer list. It always stay to the bottom. It is handy because it shows the next scheduled event so it is useful.

If you are not there it will automatically default to view on the recording on tuner #1 if you are on a channel other than those sked to record. Otherwise it will stay on the channel you are on IF it is a channel to record. Second tuner recording will fire as scheduled if you are not there to select. It stays up for maybe 30-45 seconds (haven't actually timed it). It is more of a convenience feature if you are in front of the TV when two recordings are going.

A hint for you. I have found that the 721, at times, hangs when two record events fire at the exact same time. To avoid this when we have simultaneous recordings we set one to start 1 minute early and the other to start at either 0 or 2 minutes. I haven't noticed a probelm with two stopping at the same time.

Second hint, when you two timers/tuners recording at same time, the stop button will stop one of the recordings if pressed. If you have only one tuner recording, the stop button will NOT stop a recording but rather take you live if paused/delayed on the tuner you are watching or simply tell you that the show is "live" on that tuner. To stop a single tuner event you have to go to the DVR menu, select the recording and then select stop from there. STUPID, but that is the way it works, hopefully this is something they will change.

All in all, the 721 is a very good device, it wil be oustanding if/when NBR comes down this fall.

Randy_B said:
Second hint, when you two timers/tuners recording at same time, the stop button will stop one of the recordings if pressed. If you have only one tuner recording, the stop button will NOT stop a recording but rather take you live if paused/delayed on the tuner you are watching or simply tell you that the show is "live" on that tuner. To stop a single tuner event you have to go to the DVR menu, select the recording and then select stop from there. STUPID, but that is the way it works, hopefully this is something they will change.

Or you can go to PIP, then swap it, and stop the recording from there.

I try to avoid the menu whenever possible.

My guide usually stays past 8 days.. never really needed it past the 8th day.

Welcome to the next level Gary. I love my 721, and like my 508 when i first had that, don't know how I would watch TV without it.

Hi Gary, either I don't understand what you mean by "Currently-recording events display twice in the PVR list." or my 721 doesn't have that issue. Of course I might be just a little thick if you can imagine that :D Any way have fun with your new 721 I've enjoyed mine for a while now.

Bob

stratguy said:
Hi Gary, either I don't understand what you mean by "Currently-recording events display twice in the PVR list." or my 721 doesn't have that issue. Of course I might be just a little thick if you can imagine that :D Any way have fun with your new 721 I've enjoyed mine for a while now.

Bob

It means that an event that is currently in the middle of recording shows up twice on the PVR list. Once at the top with a record icon next to its program title, and again at the bottom with a timer icon next to the channel and time.

Did I Speak Too Soon?

I'm noticing some major issues with the Favorites list setup.

1. Locals are not mapped to the local channel numbers. (They ARE mapped correctly in the EPG, though.)

2. ALL channels are listed, instead of only subbed channels.

3. It does not automatically advance to the next channel, so I must push "down" and "select" for every choice, instead of just select like with my other receivers.

4. It doesn't save the settings when I go back in to modify it. It startes from scratch!!!

5. Now, it isn't even saving the changes at all! When I go to the EPG, the favorites list just shows all channels.

Of course, if the 721 had a "Hide Locked" option, it would be unnecessary to create a Favorites list in the first place. But, that's a whole other issue.

Also:

6. After changing menu setting to "transparent", the video in guide window appears under the channel grid, instead of the upper right corner.

Anybody else with these issues?

GaryPen said:
I'm noticing some major issues with the Favorites list setup.

1. Locals are not mapped to the local channel numbers. (They ARE mapped correctly in the EPG, though.)

2. ALL channels are listed, instead of only subbed channels.

Also:

6. After changing menu setting to "transparent", the video in guide window appears under the channel grid, instead of the upper right corner.

Anybody else with these issues?

1) Usually takes ~24 hours for the local channels to show up properly with the 721. Give it a day.

2) Press the guide button a 2nd time to swith from All Channels to All Sub in the guide menu. If you manually setup a favorites list, press the guide button again to toggle to those. I know the 501's used to work that way.

6) Last few software revs haven't handled the transparent guide properly for some reason. I see the same anomoly you do currently with L171.

GaryPen said:
It means that an event that is currently in the middle of recording shows up twice on the PVR list. Once at the top with a record icon next to its program title, and again at the bottom with a timer icon next to the channel and time.

Thanks Gary I was being thick headed or as some might say " very slow" My recording list is so long that I very seldom get to the bottom of it but I have seen it and now I understand it does just list all of the same timers that are already on the top. :cool: I actually filled up all 50 slots reserved for recording not to long ago. Before that I didn't even know that it had a 50 timer limit. "Manuals who needs any stinkin manuals!" :eek:
Thanks Gary

Bob

Hmm, I thought the timer limitation was removed in a previous software upgrade?

3. It does not automatically advance to the next channel, so I must push "down" and "select" for every choice, instead of just select like with my other receivers.
I assume you are talking about making choices in setting up a favorites list? It has always been that way, yep it is a pain. One of many small nuisances that don't exist in the other DVRs (although the 921 sounds just like the 721) and I am not sure WHY Dish is unable to make it work as the others do. Sticky sort by preference is another pain that I don't understand why the 721 can't do it, same for the default to "resume" when going back into shows stopped in progress.

Unthinkable said:
1) Usually takes ~24 hours for the local channels to show up properly with the 721. Give it a day.
It already mapped OK in the EPG. It was only in the availables channels in Favorites setup where it was messed up.
2) Press the guide button a 2nd time to swith from All Channels to All Sub in the guide menu. If you manually setup a favorites list, press the guide button again to toggle to those. I know the 501's used to work that way.
Didn't make a diff.
BTW, a reboot fixed all the Favorites weirdness, except for the channel list auto advancing as I check/uncheck them.
6) Last few software revs haven't handled the transparent guide properly for some reason. I see the same anomoly you do currently with L171.
It's not a big deal. I just turned transparency off.

It's certainly more stable and bug-free than the 811. :rolleyes:

Another thing I noticed today is that the left side of the unit, where I assume the PS is located, is very very very very hot to the touch. Much hotter than any other piece of gear I've ever felt, even audio power amps.

Anybody else's 721 running that hot?

Here's a tip for everyone. While in the guide, you can hit the swap button and it'll switch between the video in the corner and the video in the grid of the guide. Pretty nifty. =)

AppliedAggression said:
Here's a tip for everyone. While in the guide, you can hit the swap button and it'll switch between the video in the corner and the video in the grid of the guide. Pretty nifty. =)
Swweeeeet. Works in the 921 also. When you swap it gives you a 'time remaining in' or 'time until start of' the show that's highlighted in the guide.

AppliedAggression said:

I don't grok the point of doing that. (Actually, when using transparent mode, the video in guide appears under the grid by default. I hated it there, so I don't use transparency just because of that.)

GaryPen said:
I don't grok the point of doing that. (Actually, when using transparent mode, the video in guide appears under the grid by default. I hated it there, so I don't use transparency just because of that.)
Besides the extra data element, it also presents the Show Info in a larger font. Other than that, nothing that I can see.

Gary - my first 721 ran 104 - 113 degrees measured with a digital probe at the left side of the case. After 1 week the audio went out and Dish replaced the unit. The replacement runs 94 - 101 degrees in the same location in my equipment cabinet and is functioning perfectly. These temps are higher than my 508 or 6000 run, but seems to be reasonable. Stingray

GaryPen said:
It's certainly more stable and bug-free than the 811. :rolleyes:

Another thing I noticed today is that the left side of the unit, where I assume the PS is located, is very very very very hot to the touch.

Yes, that is where the power steering pump is. I think E* really should have incorporated a larger heat exchanger. It could be that the pump is bypassing oil and heating beyond specs. Try puttin a pressure gauge on it to see how hard it's working.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)