I have 2 hoppers, both with external HDs.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, PVA: Professional Video Alliance
Original poster
Corporate Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 13, 2003
New England
2 questions:

Should I be able to access both external HDs from both hoppers (currently I can not) ?

How do you transfer a program from the internal hard drive to the external hard drive ?

thanks in advance.

Gregg

2 questions:

Should I be able to access both external HDs from both hoppers (currently I can not) ?

How do you transfer a program from the internal hard drive to the external hard drive ?

thanks in advance.

Gregg

Currently each Hopper can see the other's internal HDD but not the EHD.

One moment on the other.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Menu. Down two levels and over to External Hard Drive. Select FROM and TO. Of course, you'll need one or two EHDs connected and on.

Nope, cannot transfer directly from Hopper to Hopper. Yet.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:
If you haven't MOVED content to the external drives already, there's nothing to view. DISH DVRs don't record content to the external drives. EHDs just sit there waiting for you to manually transfer content to them (or play content that has been transferred previously).
Go to "My Media" and "Send to Device" and select the appropriate Transfer From and Transfer To devices.

awesome, thanks guys...guess it takes some time to figure out the menu systems. I was looking for the control via the DVR menu.

so the other question: Should I be able to see / access BOTH external drives from a hopper (or only the 1 external drive that is connected to the hopper accessed) ?

Yep. You can connect multiple EHDs thru a hub (in my experience, works best if it's a powered hub) but the Hopper will only see two at a time. And they'll be #1 and #2, no names for each EHD, and the numbering can change as you swap around EHDs.

ah...so a hub and then both EHD would be connected via 1 of the 2 hoppers.

What is the largest size of EHD that can be connected ?

I disconnected one of the EHD, but I can NOT see the EHD from the other Hopper. Help ? Do I need to reboot something ?

You cannot see an EHD from a different Hopper than it is plugged into. So, if you have an EHD on Hopper 1 and an EHD on Hopper 2 you can only see the Hopper 1 EHD on Hopper 1 and the EHD on Hopper 2 on Hopper 2...

The only way is to physically move the EHD from one Hopper to the other.

The hub makes it easier to connect multiple EHDs to a single Hopper, using a single USB port on the Hopper. For instance, I have one of my Hoppers with 4 EHDs plugged into a powered hub. I have an OTA module plugged directly into the Hopper (seems to work better than if thru the hub). I selectively turn on and off each self-powered EHD until I get the ones online that I want. For example, I have two marked "Movies." I also have a hardware RAID 1 array for the important stuff.

2 TB is the claimed limit, although I seem to recall someone having success with a 3 TB. Not sure all 3 TB were visible. I get nervous over 1 TB. Too much to lose in one shot. I've lost an EHD and used to have 721s, years ago, which tells you I've lost more than my fair share of internal HDDs.

You cannot see an EHD from a different Hopper than it is plugged into. So, if you have an EHD on Hopper 1 and an EHD on Hopper 2 you can only see the Hopper 1 EHD on Hopper 1 and the EHD on Hopper 2 on Hopper 2...

That kind of sucks ? meaning you cant really share all your media then.

Sneakernet.

Ahh haven't seen that term used since the day ViP was king...

But yes either move the EHD or transfer the stuff you want to share to the Hopper internal HDD. Hopefully someday Dish will change this.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

You can have more than 2 EHDs active on a Hopper. Only the "first" two will allow delete and easy directories.
By first I mean those assigned numbers 1 and 2. Removing a 1 or 2 drive "frees up" one of those slots.
The others, numbers 3 and higher, can be used to read or write only. After numbering 3 or more, remove to get it as 1 or 2.
I usually only have 1, possibly 2, active because it gets confusing without drive names and a wrong transfer takes 3x the time.
Check indicators for which drive is active on a transfer to be sure you have the right one.
You can transfer contents from one to another nearly as fast as the 2 722s could.
You can start a transfer in, then after some shows transfer, start the transfer out to the other. Quick but keeps you busy.
-ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)