I have Dish Technicians coming out to the house tomorrow. Would love your advice.

Briguy

SatelliteGuys Family
Apr 5, 2004
All,

I've always had an issue with my Dish 1000 losing signal with just moderate rain. I had the guys come out about 4 months ago and they said some loose fittings on the dish might have contributed to the signal drop. Now that it is spring and it is raining again I have the issue with signal drop out. I never had this issue with my DIsh 500 setup. I've read where it is due to using just one dish and that two would be better. Anyone have advice on how I should work with these techs? I want to get my $29 worth and I feel that for $130 a month for satellite TV it should work with the exception of the most extreme weather. Appreciate your contribution to the thread. Thanks.

Dish Techs

Before they get there, heck even right now press menu, 6,1,1. That should put you in the point dish screen. No matter what channel you are on it should pull up the satellite and transponder you are on. Look at the signal strength - is is low? The 129 satellite will be lower than the others but should at least be in the mid seventies on most of the transponders. 110 & 119 should be in the high 90's and above if they do their job right. I have set up quite a few 1000 dishes and don't really get calls about signal fade on them. They just take a little bit longer to fine tune than a 500 dish. You will loose your signal when it gets below 55

A two dish option is much more reliable, but you may pay for it since you already have a dish, and dish doesn't like to give things out for free. Also it is only an option if you can get a clear line of sight at 61.5

Yeah your location will play a big role in the readings you'll get off 129. If you're using a D1000 and live on the West coast, ask for a bigger dish like downriver said.

119 is at 91

110 is at 105

129 is flutucating between 70 and 72 on transponder one which is what my locals seem to be on. Those are the most important when the weather is nasty and I need to get to my local weather report.

Of course the lower numbered channels are the ones to go first. I live in Kansas City.

This may sound to simple..........

All,

I've always had an issue with my Dish 1000 losing signal with just moderate rain. I had the guys come out about 4 months ago and they said some loose fittings on the dish might have contributed to the signal drop. Now that it is spring and it is raining again I have the issue with signal drop out. I never had this issue with my DIsh 500 setup. I've read where it is due to using just one dish and that two would be better. Anyone have advice on how I should work with these techs? I want to get my $29 worth and I feel that for $130 a month for satellite TV it should work with the exception of the most extreme weather. Appreciate your contribution to the thread. Thanks.

But I had the same problem with snow ( Wisconsin)..It now is raining almost everyday............No problem, since I sprayed it with "Pam"

Your right your locals are on Trans. 1 on 129. You may have to go to a bigger dish for 129, so 61.5 would be no help.

So in this case I would probably need to request a bigger dish? How does this help? Thanks.

I live in Western Kansas (North of Hays) and have a Dish 1000. We only get signal loss on HD channels in the most extreme of a storms (only had 1 that has done it since the install in January).

There is a new "Dish 1000.2" that is designed to get better signal strength on 129.

If you are insistent about having real problems, Dish might replace your 1000 with a 1000.2 ...

Dish guy just left. Installed a second dish. A Dish 500 specifically for 129. Gained about 5-10 digits on the signal strength. Right now I am at 78-80 with cloudy skies. Curious now how hard it must rain for the signal to drop. I'll update when I can.

Transponder 6 is usually the lowest one and 31 the highest one for the HD Nationals (Voom and others), what are you getting on those TPs?

What are you getting on the TP for your locals?

Right now with clear skies Transponder 1 which my locals reside on is 82. 6 is at 77 and 31 is 96. How do I stack up?

ARGH!!!!! First time I've been home to watch TV with it raining since the second dish was put in. Light rain started to fall. My signal stregth dropped to upper 50's lower 60's on transponder one. Moderate rain began to fall and poof! My locals went out again. Hardly no improvement over before. So frustrating. I think I've hit a dead end. Would it benefit me to have them raise the Dish higher on the house? Right now at the angle it is it appears it is pointing towards the two story town homes that are about a block away. Thoughts?

The signal from the satellites actually comes 22 degrees higher than where the dish is pointing. Higher doesn't necessarily means better. One thing that happened to me was that Dish Network installed the dish too close to the roof so when it rained hard I would lose signal. I moved the dish up about 4-5 feet and the problem went away.

A picture will help us see what's going on because you're getting 82 on TP1, you shouldn't lose the signal.

Demand a 24" dish.

I fought the same problem and with living on the Oregon coast rain, wind and
clouds are pretty constant. The 24" will boost the signal strength 20% or more.
Yes: I have occasional signal loss (usually the worst transponders on 129) but nothing
like before. (31 usually in the mid to high 90's) Picture quality is amazing on the 50 inch I watch. It took 3 visits but worth the wait.

In rainy Oregon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)