I have my ViP622 HDD mounted externally

I've been wondering, what's the difference between the square parens [ ]

and the curved ones ( ) ?
The accepted terminology for [] is left and right square brackets (quite possibly why they are grouped with curly brackets/braces on the keyboard). In common print style, they are used to insert editorial comments and are in no way a substitute for parens. If you're bent on not using the shift key, try using the semicolon to add parenthetic information.

Perhaps we can get back to discussing external storage.

But in by u math (Bayou Math), instead of having one paren inside another set of paren, the outside set would use the brackets.
Ex:
[2 x (1 + 1)] - (4 - 1) = X
[2 x (2)] - (3) = X
[4] - (3) = X
4 - 3= X
X = 1 HDD remaining in the 622.

Where X equals how many HDD your 622 has after you used both IDE controllers, each with 2 HDD, then only 1 continues to work because 3 of them over heated.:D

Thanks for the info Supercharged.

The other day I held my hand near the left side of my Vip622 and I had to be rushed to the hospital with third degree burns!

J/K, but I did add some more fans to it, including a little Panasonic 3" x 1" pancake blower,aiming underneath the 622, what a difference that makes..

P/N is FAL5F12LH , if you can find it. I bought a pile in Akihabara in Tokyo. :)

Last edited:
Could somebody please write an equation expressing the probability that Dish will allow unencumbered external storage in the next decade or two? :(

and that'll keep the parens and brackets on topic. :D

J/K, but I did add some more fans to it, including a little Panasonic 3" x 1" pancake blower,aiming underneath the 622, what a difference that makes..
I also have a laptop cooler under my 622, but then I got a 2" x 2" x 8' and cut 4 small pieces (little longer than cube) and put one under each corner of the 622.

It looks like it brought the temp down another couple of degrees, but mainly keeps the 622 level and more stable than just sitting on the laptop cooler. I suspect if it was too high off the laptop cooler, the laptop cooler may not be as effective, depending on the model.

EDIT:
Too bad I didn't have any A, B, C building blocks laying around.:D

There are many makes/styles of laptop coolers. I gave away the first one I bought, since it would've put my 622 on a slant. Pictures on boxes are not too useful. The second one I bought has nice rubber feet, sits level and supports my 622 very solidly and level while lowering the average temp 12 degrees.

I plan on rearranging things with my home entertainment/theater set up in a month or two and that should get it even better air flow for cooling.

Just wanted to do a quick follow-up as it has been just a little over a month now since I did my "External Storage" modification to my 622. (See my first post in this thread for a recap if needed)

As a result of my modifications, the temps on my 622 have come down considerably. My 622 now reports the following under the diagnostics counters:

High Temp: 120F
Low Temp: 98F
Average Temp: 105F

My average temp used to be in the upper 120's, and that was when it was considerably cooler - summer has arrived full force now and the ambient room temp is a good 8F hotter then when those temps were reported. I've had zero issues with the HD mounted externally on top of the case. It now runs MUCH cooler - the HD isn't even warm to the touch whereas before it was almost painfully hot to touch when I removed the 622's cover to check it out.

Still awaiting true external USB drive support though.... come on DISH, release it already!!! :hungry:

Cheers!
--Supercharged_Z06

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)