I just built my baby (computer):

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

LonghornXP

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
I just built my baby and just not booted it up and started using it. Building it from scratch cost me about 2500 bucks and I'm using it for gaming along with intense video encoding. If you want further specs I'll give them but for now I'll list the core specs.

It starts with an Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Manchester core socket 939 CPU. The motherboard is an MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum SLI board. I also have 4 512MB sticks of PC3200 400Mhz DC memory. The memory brand is Corsair XMS High Performance memory. They also came with heat spreaders. I've also got two Western Digital 400 GB drivers in a striped Raid Array configuration. I also have 2 Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT 256MB PCI Express 16x cards via SLI.

I also got an Asetek WaterChill Antarctica cooling system. I must say this cooling system does the job but it surely was a pain to install and get setup. I'm very good at building computers but this was harder than it could be.

The bottom line is this thing flies using Windows XP Professional x64 edition. I've installed both Windows XP Professional and I must say x64 edition runs everything much faster and smoother than I thought. You would be amazed how much Windows Media Player 10 speeds up in x64 edition with a large music collection. Everything loaded up (including Napster) almost 2 seconds quicker than the non x64 version and lets just say it only takes a tad over 3 seconds to load. My old Pentium 4 2.4Ghz system takes almost 8 seconds to load WMP 10 to a working state.

Also the games play great but not as great as what I was expecting considering the CPU and SLI graphics but great none the less. It seems that playing a game at 1920x1080 is now doable but the sweet spot still is 1600x1200 for now but when a came is written to take advantage of both SLI and the dualcore CPU it know I'll be playing at 1920x1080 in no time.

For the first time in a while this computer ended up being worth 2500 bucks because it had such a huge improvement with more great things to come. This system I feel for once will have 5 or more years of great things. Now I'm eager to find out what Windows Vista will bring to the table.

That's a great computer. Good Job. I used to build my own computers every three years. I do not have time anymore to build. Is you fan loud? I remember my computers were loud darn fan. I know the fan is a pain in the you know what to put on.

korsjs said:
very impressive. thanks for sharing.

All I can say about this system is that if your not into games but still do intensive type tasks including heavy multitasking I would highly suggest getting the Athlon 64 X2 chip even at the lowest clock speed of I think 4200+. If you have this with one gig of just plain ram with standard video it would fly. I just for the heck of it took out one gig of ram to see what type of slowdown I would get and it wasn't much so my thinking is the CPU had everything todo with the speed. I have all my music in .wav format on a backup drive so I can always tinker with new audio formats like ogg and such and encoding of music was at least twice as fast as my old system.

Also re-encoding a DVD into the latest version of divx or the like took less than 15 minutes total from start to finish. My old system took almost 30-45 minutes. This was based on a DL DVD movie encoding into a very high quality divx file or the like. I'm not trying to rave or brag but just saying that this chip is worth every penny. I wasn't going to buy this chip if newegg didn't put it on sale about a month ago for almost half off. I bought it for 479.99 with free shipping and no tax. Their price just the day before that was 900 bucks and right now I think it costs around 600-800 dollar range. The lower 4200+ chip I expect to drop around 300ish before the shopping season and even at closer to 400 bucks its worth it. Gosh I don't think I've ever said a 400 dollar CPU is worth it for anyone in this day in age but I can't help my self.

Ceas2182 said:
That's a great computer. Good Job. I used to build my own computers every three years. I do not have time anymore to build. Is you fan loud? I remember my computers were loud darn fan. I know the fan is a pain in the you know what to put on.

Water cooling my friend. I don't need many fans because of this so I only have two for the case which are very quiet ones. Just that alone keeps it nice and cool. Don't get me wrong you can kinda hear the watercooling system working its magic but nothing bothersome.

Also if anyone has an Athlon 64 or Intel 64-bit chip I'd suggest checking your hardware for x64 drivers because getting XP x64 does wonders for at least the Athlon 64 chips. Just keep in mind that any hardware drives must be written for the x64 version of Windows XP but software can run just fine (32-bit software runs fine). If you checked your hardware but just want to try out XP x64 edition to see if its worth it you can download free of charge from Microsoft a 120 day trial of XP pro x64 edition. After 120 days you can buy it if its worth it for you.

The 120 day trial is a full version with nothing disabled but again does expire in 120 days. This is what I'm using for now for the next 30 days or so until I get around to buying it.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/trial.mspx

korsjs said:
how hard is it to put together the water cooling device?

Because I've never done it before it was a royal pain in the arse. Sadly it took me almost 6 hours to complete just the water cooling. The hardest part was mounting it on the inside of the case. But the kit I bought had water cooling for the CPU, video card and chipset. I can say its not very hard once you have done it once but most of my wasted time was more trial and error with the mounting of the main cooling unit. I guess I could have had the unit outside of the case but I like things neat with things taking the least amount of room as can be done. If you go this route and mount it inside the case make sure you buy a full size tower because you will need all that extra room. Now the 2500 cost would be their everyday price but I did get a government discount that landed me another 850 bucks off that 2500. So for me I couldn't resist it any longer or I would go nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts