I just ordered Dish Network! Do they also install an antenna?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Further, I know a poster was trying to be helpful, but the suggested Direct DB4e, according to my research, can only receive UHF only and will NOT be able to receive LA channels 7 (KABC), 9 (KCAL: 2nd OTA owned by CBS), 11 (Fox), and 13 (MyTV/2nd OTA owned by Fox). Those channels are on the VHF Hi-band. You will need an OTA antenna that can receive both UHF and VHF Hi-band, unless you are willing to live without the above listed channels. If I am error about the Direct DBE4, please do correct me.

Most of the country is OTA UHF only, so a good number of folks are unaware of the VHF Hi-band use in other cities, but some places, especially the really big cities, have OTA's on both UHF and Hi-band VHF. As per your excitement, at my last count there are about 160 OTA channels in the Los Angeles. Most of them are foreign language: Spanish, Chinese, Vietnamese, Armenian, and more, and religious. However, there are a number of good English language channels that one can't get via Dish or most, if any, MVPD's today such as COZI TV, MeTV (Also at channel 20 on the Dish LA LIL's and that has guide data while 56.3 does not), MOVIE, Bounce, GetTV, Antenna TV, This TV, Living Well in HD, MHz Worldview (great foreign detective and crime dramas all with English subtitles), and more I can't think of.

One thing I don't like is that because the OTA channels in Los Angeles continue to grow in number, you will occasional want to rescan for new channels so that your Dish STB can receive them. A process that can reset the custom labels you took the time to place because the Dish Scan does not always display the unique label. One good thing about the TiVo is that it will automatically detect a new OTA channel broadcasting and ask if you want to add it to your list, and this all happens with no initiation from the user and won't mess up previous settings. A much more civilized way to hand new OTA's going on air rather than having to rescan yourself every month or so.

As for placement, if indoor works for you, great. But, especially in Los Angeles, you are FAR better off with your antenna outside on the roof and as high as you can. Getting OTA reliably or at least all the desired channels, in Los Angeles can be extremely challenging and highly dependent on your location. This is one reason people in the LA area LOOOOOVVVVEEEE cable or sat and even a PRIMARY reason they get the service because getting good, reliable OTA is such a hassle in many parts of the LA area and even impossible in others. Aside from the places where it is impossible to receive OTA signals, there are plenty where you can't see the obstruction, usually hills even just a few miles away, but it is indeed making it very difficult to receive the stations you want.

The good news is the VHF-Hi band channels are most easily obtained and even in difficult locations, but I will tell you the most notorious channels that may present problems in reception: KCET, 28 (former PBS now independent public TV; KOCE, 50 (PBS); KDOC, 56, KLCS, 58 (PBS); are the most notorious (KVCR, 24 PBS out of San Bernardino is NOT located on Mount Wilson and requires a separate antenna IF you can get it at your location, but Dish provides that station as part of the LA LIL DMA package so I would not even bother trying to get that OTA), and may require a very high placement OUTSIDE using a pretty high pole to compensate beause those stations are at lower power than most and don't handle "first effect" (common in Los Angeles) very well, so a higher placement of the antenna OUTSIDE is often a sufficient compensation. Also, less notorious are KNBC, 4; KCBS 2; and a few other desirable channels, but reception of those is easily solved by getting the antenna on the roof and OUTSIDE. Unfortunately, you can have great reception of the LA OTA's, until inclement weather, and I mean even cloud cover let alone rain storms. That is mostly due to the stupid ATSC standard that the U.S. adapted for our OTA. In other words, you can for months with high signal points and steady reception, making you think you are in prime locations for receiving OTA, but then thicker clouds roll in or even rain, and that will be just enough to expose that you are NOT in such a prime area as your lack of compensations for where you are located rear its ugly head. First to go are the lower powered desirables, and then constant break-ups of the desirables on UHF, while VHF Hi-band usually is all that is reliable until the weather changes for the better. Again, the most effective counter measure to this is are simple: the antenna being OUTSIDE and given sufficient HEIGHT. Then you can get them all in even bad weather. Of course, there are plenty of location in the LA area when even outdoor height will NOT make things any better, which is why so many in LA pay for the cable or satellite.

Good luck. While this is a very good forum, I have found the TiVo forum to have more OTA users (since TiVo's have been able to receive OTA from day one) and more from LA who share their unique frustrations and solutions. There is a lot of good OTA info there. Again, good luck and enjoy.

Last edited:
I forgot to add that for the OP, that I would avoid those handsomely styled OTA antennas, and just get a old style Yagi-type TV antenna (those formerly ubiquitous multi-element "old school" antennas). They outperform all those sqaure designs and pretty looking new antennas, and are often LESS expensive than the good-looking square new tech ones. However, depending upon where you are, size does matter, and you might need a larger antenna than you were thinking in order to pull in those OTA's you want more reliably, along with being outside and some height. Also, pre-amplication may also be necessary, but be aware that too strong an OTA signal can result in a blank screen. So, not too weak, but not too strong.

Thank you very much for the reply! I really appreciate it. :D I've always had problems receiving ABC 7 and FOX 11. Wow there's so many OTA channels. Last time I checked was probably last year, and there were around 100. Well the ones I picked up. What I dislike is that the more there are the worser the quality becomes on some channels. :(

I'm not sure what camera to get. My zipcode is 90003. I think for now I'll just use an indoor antenna, but would love to buy a big one to have outside. Money is tight though.

I ordered the OTA USB for the Hopper, and should arrive on Friday. Can't wait to play around with it!

Wow! Over a 100 ota channels . In my area you get maybe 4 main networks and then some 6 sub channels and Tbn and their 4 sub channels. With a 100 ota channels you could get away without even watching cable or satellite tv. You would just need an ota Tivo to record some of them.

Yeah, but maybe the OP wants Discovery or CNN, etc not available OTA. I'm like you though MikeD, if I got 100 OTA and add that to my FTA, forget paying for TV, I would find something to watch. ;)

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I haven't had Dish Network since 2008, and I didn't really much TV. I do occasionally watch some TV shows though, and most of them from local TV. I'm not sure how I feel about ordering Dish now. haha. I think I would have been better off with Tivo OTA.

I do like to watch some things on the Travel Channel, Boomerang, and Cartoon Network. haha. They are probably available on Hulu though. :'(

Further, I know a poster was trying to be helpful, but the suggested Direct DB4e, according to my research, can only receive UHF only and will NOT be able to receive LA channels 7 (KABC), 9 (KCAL: 2nd OTA owned by CBS), 11 (Fox), and 13 (MyTV/2nd OTA owned by Fox). Those channels are on the VHF Hi-band. You will need an OTA antenna that can receive both UHF and VHF Hi-band, unless you are willing to live without the above listed channels. If I am error about the Direct DBE4, please do correct me.

Bow-tie antennas can pick High-band VHF but the range is very limited. The DB4e range on high-band VHF is probably no more than 15 miles, but that is just a guess based on the design. The Solid Signal one actually states 15 miles for VHF high. I only have one low-power VHF High about 10 miles away and my DB4 picks it up fine. The OP would have to get something huge, like a Winegard HD7697 in order to get 50 mile range out of VHF High. With 100+ OTA channels in that market, that is going to take some research to find the right antenna. Might even have to install two antennas to pick them all up, as most folks who have the DB4e do with fringe VHF High/UHF.

Try to take advantage of you know anyone with dish, get the federal, they save $50 over ten months, and you save $50 on first bill
I don't think federal would save you money
Unless you meant referral.

There's members here with referral codes to use when you sign up, Just PM that person after using that code
So they can remove it afterwards

Just look for their signature at the bottom of their post for details.

Wow! Over a 100 ota channels . In my area you get maybe 4 main networks and then some 6 sub channels and Tbn and their 4 sub channels. With a 100 ota channels you could get away without even watching cable or satellite tv. You would just need an ota Tivo to record some of them.
Actually, for our household, we really can get by with OTA only because there are a fair amount good English language channels, mostly older movies and TV shows, but I find my self watching those OTA channels more than I thought I would and there is always a local news cast on one of the mains, and LA local news can really be quite dramatic. Mom stops watching the pay channels and tunes to the locals when they have a high-speed chase, but even the other stories that make up an hour newscast is quite compelling, and I end up watching the entire hours. Also, more never seen before content on MHz mysteries and dramas from around the world and more new content on the one NON-PBS affiliated public TV station. Getting by with OTA only is only if we have to because I would miss my History and H2 content along with Science, and Nat Geo Wild, etc. Of course we would supplement OTA with Amazon, Netflix, and, for me, Hulu Plus. But that really is a livable scenario.

Thank you very much for the reply! I really appreciate it. :D I've always had problems receiving ABC 7 and FOX 11. Wow there's so many OTA channels. Last time I checked was probably last year, and there were around 100. Well the ones I picked up. What I dislike is that the more there are the worser the quality becomes on some channels. :(

I'm not sure what camera to get. My zipcode is 90003. I think for now I'll just use an indoor antenna, but would love to buy a big one to have outside. Money is tight though.

I ordered the OTA USB for the Hopper, and should arrive on Friday. Can't wait to play around with it!
Well, it looks like you are in a good place to receive OTA locals from Mt. Wilson, and you are in a flat region of LA County (an anomaly LA area), ancient flood plain that remained flat while hills and mountains formed just about every place else, and with a very high water table (remember the sinking 105 Fwy?), but you are further away from the transmitters as you are pretty far south, so that may be a problem your distance, not obstructions. Size may make the biggest difference for you. It is pretty rare to be in the flat regions but it extends all the way into Orange County. So, an indoor antenna may be just fine. But, if you have problems later, you can always try an outdoor. You got really lucky with your location.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)