I Need Information

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

charlie1020

Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
Sorry to repost this but I thoought I would start a new thread because the other thread on this topic hasn't had a response in some time. This is only my second post so please be kind. I have been reading forums for a long time and this is the first time i couldnt find a conclusive answer to this question.
So here it goes.

Has anyone figured out how to get a 622/722 hard drive to work in their computer. I do not want to transfer recordings or anything like that. The receiver is of no use to me anymore.It was in a fire at a friend of mines home and its still a little black with smoke damage. (It still functions correctly)
The hard drive that came out the VIP 722 and is a Western Digital WD5000AAJS-57TKA0.

Here is what I have done so far:

1. I left the Hard Drive in the receiver and powered the receiver on,
2. Once the hard drive started spinning I unhooked the sata connector and hooked it into my computer via another sata cable.
3. I have deleted the 4 partitions that I found under computer management.
And I have reformatted it for Windows.
4. I still cannot get it to boot with it in the computer, only if its connected to the receiver.

Can anyone verify if this is a power issue?
Or is this due to some type of code being sent from the reciver to the drive to telll it to spin?

I am sorta handy with electronics so the directions you send (if very technical)dont have to be baby steps.
Either way, if you know of a way I might get this drive working please let me know or PM me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'll answer the same way I answered in the other thread. If it works, and is clear to activate, sell it. Even with smoke damage if it works, it's worth more than the cost of a new hard drive that will work in your computer.

I dont think there are too many people out there that would want this particular box. Its not in very good shape. It smells really bad because of all the smoke damage.
The hard drive still functions though , but if there is nothing that can be done with it just let me know.
And I guess if anybody is interested in it please PM me. Just remember its in bad shape.
Thanks.

as Smith suggested, try to contact the guy in post #4 of the other thread, he knows what he's doing.

I think there's a setting in the firmware of that particular drive, but I don't know if it might be possible to override it.

Sorry to repost this but I thoought I would start a new thread because the other thread on this topic hasn't had a response in some time. This is only my second post so please be kind. I have been reading forums for a long time and this is the first time i couldnt find a conclusive answer to this question.
So here it goes.

Has anyone figured out how to get a 622/722 hard drive to work in their computer. I do not want to transfer recordings or anything like that. The receiver is of no use to me anymore.It was in a fire at a friend of mines home and its still a little black with smoke damage. (It still functions correctly)
The hard drive that came out the VIP 722 and is a Western Digital WD5000AAJS-57TKA0.

Here is what I have done so far:

1. I left the Hard Drive in the receiver and powered the receiver on,
2. Once the hard drive started spinning I unhooked the sata connector and hooked it into my computer via another sata cable.
3. I have deleted the 4 partitions that I found under computer management.
And I have reformatted it for Windows.
4. I still cannot get it to boot with it in the computer, only if its connected to the receiver.

Can anyone verify if this is a power issue?
Or is this due to some type of code being sent from the reciver to the drive to telll it to spin?

I am sorta handy with electronics so the directions you send (if very technical)dont have to be baby steps.
Either way, if you know of a way I might get this drive working please let me know or PM me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have the drive hooked up to your pc as drive C:\, and powered from your pc power supply

Boot from a Windows 98 boot disk or cd. Do a: fdisk /mbr at the command prompt. That should make the drive bootable.

Primestar31,
Have you ever dealt with this problem before?
I am going to try this right now but was just wondering if this has worked for this problem before as it seems a bit easy. I think Im going to have to reflash the firmware, but I will try this.
Thanks a lot for you help.

I'll reply with the results in a few minutes.

UPDATE:
This doesnt work. It reads but there is something in the drive that will not let it spin up until it either recieves a signal from the sata and/or power coming from the receiver.

Thanks for your help though.

I also tried this:

I did the swap method with the receiver as explained in my first post and installed Windows Vista on the drive. I figured when it got to the part of the installation where it reboots that it would not boot up again. But it does as long as you keep the power on coming from the receiver .

So if I could just find a way to do the swap and then keep a constant flow of 12v or whatever voltage the reciver puts out, it would work.
I know this is far fetched but its just a thought. I have PM'd a person that might be able to help but until then any extra help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again guys.

I also updated

Last edited:
Anybody?

Still havent gotten any info. Ive been all over the net.
Please if anybody can help me please PM me.

Thanks.

Need to hear this Charlie1020

My email: JGL97 at hotmail dot com
I have had trouble with WD5000AAJS-57TKA0, actually the first i received was DOA, and the second, which i still have works but only if i do the "trick" (Read below for a working semisolution, is not the best but at least i could use the space, which i really need, once i got money ill buy another hd, backup the wd one and then send these to rma). I asked them about it and their response was not good. Here's the file of my enquery to WD:

"
Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support.

Please refer to the steps below to make sure the drive is being installed correctly.

Title: Problems are encountered when installing Second Generation Serial ATA hard drives on First Generation Serial ATA controllers.
URL: Answer

First, you need to enable your SATA controller on your motherboard, either through your BIOS or jumper settings on your motherboard. Also, make sure your boot sequence in your BIOS is set to boot from CD-ROM, floppy, and hard drive.

Second, Make sure the jumper for the Hard Drive is all the way to the right next to the legacy power connector, on pins 1-2. There is no Master or Slave jumper settings for SATA hard drives since you only connect one drive per cable.

Third, you can use either the legacy power or SATA power which will not make a difference. However, do not connect both at once or the drive could be damaged and you could void the warranty on the drive.

Title: How to install, partition, and format a Serial ATA drive in Windows XP.

If you feel the drive may be the cause of your problem, I would run our diagnostic program to see if the hard drive has problems. You may also want to try the drive on another system to see if the same issue follows.

Please test the drive for errors by running the extended diagnostic test on the drive using the Data Lifeguard Tools disk that came with the hard drive. I have included a link below to assist you on this process.

First, make sure that the BIOS settings are set to "Auto Detect" and "Mode" should be "Auto" for this drive.
Second, make sure the hard drive is jumpered correctly Single (no jumper), Master (pins 5/6), Slave (pins 3/4).

Title: How to create a Data Lifeguard Tools 11 diagnostic diskette.

If there are no errors detected with the software, then the drive is working properly and is not likely the cause of your problem. Make sure you have the latest BIOS updates and drivers installed for your system or motherboard, and any Windows updates and service packs.

If the hard drive test will not run, or the drive is tested to be bad, I would replace the hard drive.

Sincerely,
Don S.
Western Digital Service and Support
http://support.wdc.com Customer (XXXmynameXXXXX)01/27/2008 07:02 PM I just received my harddrive after the first one i bought arrived with some failures. Now, when I plug the new one, the Bios says that there's drive and tells its speed (3Gb/s), but can't tell model nor other information, also, bios says that failed trying to recognize the drive, and when I enter the OS it is just not found... until i do "the trick".
The only way i get to use my brand new Harddrive is to boot up the DOS WD Diagnostic tools program from a bootable cd (hiren's cd, for hardware tests), then I hear something inside the drive, like really quick spinning, like waking up, but not the usual sound hearable on most drives while they turn on...
Once i ran the diagnostics application, my drive is discovered and then im able to use it, either on bios (where the whole drive info is now available) or windows. But once i TURN OFF (not restart) the PC, the drive is gone, so i can use the drive only after "discovering it" with the diagnostics application and keeping the computer ON (i can restart it and the drive remains "alive").
I don't wanna have to send this one for replacement, i have had already to much of this sh...!!!
please help me!
The PC is a dell dimension 9150
samsung 160gb sata
1gb ram
pentium D 2.8ghz
"

Update

Well Ive tried writing to certain people about flashing the drive but got no real solution. I was told that its cheaper to just buy a new drive than to mess with these.
I was able to get a little help from from RRiven but we are basically both lost with no good solution.
Thank you jgl97 for the information. I have tried using the WD diagnostic dos floppy though. THe only way it will even see that a WD Hard drive is in the system is to do the swap method with the receiver. And once I do run the tests it shows that everything is fine with the drive.
If you have any other useful hints for me other than whats posted above, I would love to hear them though.
Well Thank you guys for all your help, I think its a lost cause for now but I'll store them well in case anyone has a definite fix in the future.
Charlie

PS If i do find a fix I will post it immediately on here so that others can benefit.

I pulled a hard drive out of a 522 once and installed it as a secondary drive in my computer. I just formatted it as NTFS and it worked like a charm. Several months ago, I removed the original primary drive and re-installed/reformatted the old 522 drive as the primary drive.

not in the newer units

The 622 and 722 have a feature built in to the hard drive that wont let it spin up until it receives a command from the receiver. So you have to leave it in the 622/722 until you hear it spin and then pull the sata cable off the back of the drive and hook it in to your computer and boot up. This is the only way the computer will ever even recognize the drive. Once you do this, you can format, partition and even install an OS on the HD, but as soon as you killl the power you must start over with it in the receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts