I need some HELP PLEASE!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

vismich

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
So I had gotten Dish Network and HD TV. I was VERY happy with the way High Def looked, but the placew where they mounted my dish was undesirable.

I had a fella out today to move the dish, and he did a great job as far as placing it exaclty where I wanted it.

That said, I just started watching TV, and I THINK....my High Def looks diffrent. I have a few questions.

1. Can the satellite signal strength affect HD TV picture?

2. The guy that set my system up the first time had this set to Sat 119 and transponder 6 on a Dish 500. I have NO IDEA what any of this means, BUT

The new satellite guy has it set to Sat 110 and transponder 7. I have ZERO reading on 119, and 91-93 on 110.

Do I need both?

Thanks
Mike

Welcome back Mike,

I'm glad you did two things, (1) got the dish move, and (2) got someone else to do it. :)

There are a bunch of exceptions, but you will need to receive 2 satellite signals for basic programming for Dish - 119 and 110.
I believe the majority of local channels are on 110, but there are some on other satellites.
Most internationals can be found on 61.5, 148, 121, and it looks like 118.7.
High Definition programming can be found on 129 or 61.5, with a couple of programs on a couple of other birds.

When the tech set up your dishes and peaked them, I'm sure he gave you enough dishes for whatever satellites you were required to receive, which depends you what programming packages you ordered and what city or zip code you live in. I'm sure he checked the signal strength on each.

There is a very common dish called the Dish 500 that can receive two satellites, provided it has two LNBF's, or a Twin LNBF. I believe you said you have a second dish also. I will assume this other dish is another Dish 500 but with a single LNBF for one satellite, or maybe a Dish 300 or equivalent.

When you are watching a channel on TV, if you go to Menu, 6, 1, 1, it will give you the signal strength on a particular satellite and transponder. This is usually for the channel you were just watching. Not what the tech used to peak the system. Ideally, the tech would use a transponder that is not a spotbeam and/or would use a weaker transponder from each satellite he is peaking.

While in Menu 6-1-1, you can select the check switch button, and it probably will show you what satellites your receiver recognizes, that is, the satellites it found when the tech set everything up and did a check switch.

You will probably see 3 satellites listed, with more info. Such as:
119 110 61.5 or maybe
119 110 129

If you like, you can tell it to Test when in the check switch, and see what it does. It shouldn't hurt anything.

To answer your first question, yes, signal quality could affect the HD picture, but it would usually be in the form of pixalation, or no picture at all.

EDIT: When in Point Dish (Menu 6 1 1) and looking at the satellites, such as 110 and 119, or even 61.5 and 129, you will not get a signal on all transponders. So after you switch from 110 to 119, you may have to change transponders to find one with a signal. Also instead of going to Check Switch as I said above, you could switch from one sat to the next to see if you have a signal - but you need to wait about 8 - 10 seconds between each change to make sure the receiver has time to detect and report back to you, and try several transponders on each sat for best results.

If you think something is wrong with your HD Picture, maybe describe it and someone else will have some more info on that.
I think anything better than black & white on a 19" TV on a UHF channel 75 miles away is good!

Last edited:
Thanks for the response!!

119 is actually working..So I'm good there

The HD image just seems to be pixelated a little or faded....

I called Dish and they said that with HD, or any signial, you either are getting a signal or your not. The quality is always the same regardless.

That's correct, basically with a digital signal - you either have it or you don't.

If you are having pixalization problems, that is most likely do to the signal the satellite receiver is getting, and not your connections are settings on the TV.

Now if it's just the HD, maybe it's the signals from the 129 satellite. Maybe that one dish needs to be repeaked. However, a lot of people are reporting problems with 129, and suggesting to switch the dish for 129 over to receive the satellite at 61.5 which carries the same HD pictures.

Looking at either Point Dish, Check Switch, or System Info, what satellites are you receiving besides 119 and 110"

Is it 129 or 61.5, or maybe something else?

It says 61.5 in Check Switch (ran a test)...HOWEVER, when I check the signals in "Point Dish" 129 is over 100, while 61.5 is in the Mid 80's

129 is probably showing you a red bar and "wrong satellite" indicator, it's actually showing the signal strength from 119 in that case.

80s seem a little low for 61.5, maybe that dish needs some slight adjustment.

vismich said:
It says 61.5 in Check Switch (ran a test)...HOWEVER, when I check the signals in "Point Dish" 129 is over 100, while 61.5 is in the Mid 80's
Mid 80's would not give you any signal problem...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts