I need some real world information

bigbyrd4

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
St. George, SC
I would like to get some good information on how well the satellite DSL systems work. Mainly HughesNet and Wildblue(through Dish). I would appreciate real information, not off the wall rantings good or bad about either one.

I live about 2 miles as the crow flies from the intersection of I-95 and I-26 in St. George, SC. Where I am there is no cable or telcon DSL available. I have suffered through dial up for years, but now my wife is opening a kennel in the garage and it looks like we will need something faster. Since we are so close to the interstate, only 1/2 mile from I-26, and have good cell phone signal with Verizon I went to them to see about their wireless internet. I got a wireless modem that just plugs into the USB port and it is definitely faster than the 56K telephone, but not real fast. The typical speeds that I have measured were in the 600-700 kbs download and around 200 upload. Like I said it is faster than dial up, but I want to know if there is anything better in the $60/month range and I have 30 days to try the Verizon system before I am committed.

I looked on the Dish website and saw their plans. The Gold package claims 1Mbs download/200kbs upload for $69/month. I am going to get the DishDVR Advantage, which will save me about $20/month on the TV bill so the extra 10 bucks each month plus the if I amortize the other 10 bucks over the 18 month commitment I will break even on the lease fee. But, how close do you get to the advertised download speeds in the real world. I am getting pretty close to what Verizon advertises for their wireless internet, but if real world experience shows that I won't be able to get close to the Dish claims then I may just stay with what I have.

The Hughesnet packages are almost identical to Dish after you get the rebates and all the rest of the hoopla, so it will come down to what they can provide in real world terms.

I will look forward to the replies.

the problem with satellite is bandwidth vs number of users. Speeds vary by what time of day/how many users on. It is better than dail-up but does not stay at same steady preformance.

the problem with satellite is bandwidth vs number of users. Speeds vary by what time of day/how many users on. It is better than dail-up but does not stay at same steady preformance.

This problem you mention is not just limited to satellite ISP's. The same overselling of capacity and slowdowns takes place on terrestial networks.
A cell tower with many powers users on it sees the same problem.

Speeds being the same terrestial networks have the added advantage of low latency.

I'd go through Verizon due to less latency issues. If you was line of site to someone that has cable or DSL then I would get a pair of wireless radios (such as Tranzeo's) and set yourself up a hop from their place to yours and offer to pay half or all of their bill. It would be cheaper and faster.

stick with the cell card...
actual speeds are generally close with the satellite services, but the latency sucks. If you are downloading big files, great... but for browsing the web, checking email, ect... stick with the verizon card

Thanks for the replies. It looks like I will stick with Verizon.

Being out in the boondocks, I doubt the cell tower would get overloaded. Other than the interstate 1/2 mile away there is less than 50 houses that would be anywhere near the same tower.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts