I took a nexus one for a test drive

truckracer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 17, 2004
Charleston wv
Tonight a friend of mine has a google nexus one. It is not activated with any cell carrier but it was linked up to his wifi router. His ADSL is 128k upload, 760k download.
The nexus one is a "lively phone" with wallpaper that animates. The screen was very sensitive to touch and apps launched pretty quickly.

The internet performance on his wifi was nothing to brag home about. Web pages to a while to load. The virtual keyboard was nice and very comparable to iphone.
The phone is heavy (in a good way) and feels solid. Not junky or flemsy but like a well. Rafted piece.
Is this phone a repla ement for iphone? not as far as i am concerned. I also played with a new motorola droid. It was a super nice smartphone. I would say the droid and iphone are neck and neck in the race with nexus just half of a step behind.

According to a lot of people on the internet the Nexus is more than a half step behind right now. I know it's new and they will fix some of the bugs at some point, but right now people are complaining a lot.

I believe Nexus One is nothing but an attempt to switch the US smartphone market to the way this is done in the rest of the world: no subsidized by carriers hardware. A very long shot but if successful, will change the landscape, "divide and conquer" won't work anymore.

If it fails, Google will drop the hardware business and go back. Should take less than a year for this to be decided.

Diogen.

Lack of subsidies, may kill the frequent switching and upgrading of phones, forcing the industry to lesser sales volume.
Personally, I've always waited for the low price upgrade to buy the next level of technology. If I had to pay $600 for my TP2, I'd still be using the XV6800. Consider I spent $99 for it after 2 years, how long would I wait before spending $600? Even used PDA cell phones prices would go up.

The high rate of subsidies is paid for by high subscription charges. If the Google / rest of the world business model takes hold, would we see a lower subscription cost to make up for the high equipment cost? We may just see higher profits in the carrier business. If so, go buy AT&T and Verizon stock.

i personally think its actually better to just buy a smartphone outright. don't go under long contracts. even if they subsidize the phone price like at&t does apple iphones, you still are obligated to them for two years or pay the early term fee.

I always just get on fleabay and order whatever smarthphone i want then get service with the carrier. If i want to drop them i can on a whim and its no issue. sell that phone back on ebay and get whatever other one you want. keep it clean and in good condition and you get at least half your money back.

the nexus one certainly is not worth 700.00 imho.

The Nexus One is kind of a basic reference standard device. What's possible with the platform is much greater and much faster.

What's possible with the iPhone platform is much too closely tied to what Apple thinks you want.

Personally, I've always waited for the low price upgrade to buy the next level of technology. If I had to pay $600 for my TP2, I'd still be using the XV6800. Consider I spent $99 for it after 2 years, how long would I wait before spending $600?
This math was done many times: by the time you are offered a cheap upgrade you have paid the full price and then some (in monthly charges)...
I think it is more a cultural thing: some prefer leasing, some - buying outright...
Even used PDA cell phones prices would go up.
Why?

Although nothing to do with cell service per-se, here is a good article about internet bandwidth costs in different countries
US broadband's average speed: 3.9Mbps
Recent studies show that US customers also pay a lot more for what they get. For our average of 3.9Mbps, we pay about $40 per month. In France, by comparison, many users have access to a $45 monthly plan that includes 20-30Mbps connections, VoIP service, and HDTV with a DVR included. Such plans in the US regularly exceed $100, and speeds rarely reach those levels. (Let's not even speak of the state of customer service.)
I don't have links to cell service comparison, but wouldn't be surprised for them to be in the same ballpark...

Diogen.

diogen- It's like any other used market, the prices are always based on the new price range.

I pay $99 for a newTP2 . Do you think I could get $200 for that used? Doubt it if my buyer could pay $ 99 and get one new. However, if the lowest new price was $500 how easy would it be to get $200 for a used one in good condition? Lot better than if new ones were available for $99.

I understand the concept of lease vs buy. But subsidy is not a lease. at least in the legal sense of the term. And I recognize the math is all about service, not hardware. This is the mindset behind a subsidized buy with a contract commitment.

If one plans to remain with a service anyway, get the hardware for the subsidized price. Now if there was a huge savings for the service if you came in on your own equipment, then the story would be different. Thing is, there isn't any difference. When there is wake me up so I can break out the calculator and refigure. For now, it's no brainer, get the subsidized phone for as cheap as you can. Then, carefully select your carrier based on your needs.

BTW- I'm presently in a transition mode with carriers. Although I just upgraded with a two year contract, my wifes Blackberry 2 yr is up in March. We may be switching off verizon since neither of us have to travel much. Heck, I may end up back with T-mobile for rates. I don't feel the need for that big red map anymore. :)

I can only refer to the article mentioned here
http://www.satelliteguys.us/phone-zone/196594-nexus-one-google-has-its-own-phone.html#post2065453

Yes, nobody can make the carriers change things (maybe the FCC can by I doubt it).
Yes, carriers are more than happy with the status-quo: lock-in with a locked phone and exorbitant early termination fees makes their life easier.
But if - a very big if - enough people buy the Nexus One without subsidy, there will be pressure on the carriers to offer hardware-less plans.

That can change things.
And no, I don't believe this will trigger a price increase of used phones even if only because unlocking will stop being a crime...

Diogen.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/phone-zone/196594-nexus-one-google-has-its-own-phone.html#post2065453

Yes, nobody can make the carriers change things (maybe the FCC can by I doubt it).
Yes, carriers are more than happy with the status-quo: lock-in with a locked phone and exorbitant early termination fees makes their life easier.
But if - a very big if - enough people buy the Nexus One without subsidy, there will be pressure on the carriers to offer hardware-less plans.

That can change things.
And no, I don't believe this will trigger a price increase of used phones even if only because unlocking will stop being a crime...

Diogen.
I totally agree!!:up

That can change things.

Diogen.

which is what I did with T-mo, I switched to a provided my own phones and took a contract free plan.

which is what I did with T-mo, I switched to a provided my own phones and took a contract free plan.
And it is almost certain that if this becomes mainstream the plan you took will be half of what you pay today...

Diogen.