i tunes and pocket dish

tski

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
does anyone know how you can use songs from i tunes on the pocketdish? can you even do it?

No you can not.

However you can get music from any "Plays for sure" site, like Walmart, Napster etc. Those ones give the peoper licences to the music on the PocketDish.

technicaly yes.. you just have to convert the file to mp3... assuming that your using Itunes and you purchased all of your music legally. once its in that mp3 format you should be able to transfer to the pocket dish :) give the above link a try as it works very well and I have used it in the past to back up my Itunes. Thanks HeavyC for the link :)

Your first thing would be to make sure you've been encoding your songs into MP3 (iTunes -> preferences -> advanced -> importing...

Make sure it's set to Mp3 and then as necessary, convert songs to mp3 (you can right click the top row (name, artist, etc) and add a "kind" column that'll tell you what you have. MP3s will load on the PocketDish just fine :)

Since you're probably doing this on Windows, you'll need to do the last part (getting songs onto the pocketdish) manually. The Windows version of iTunes (for obvious reasons) unfortunately doesn't support syncing with other music players.

You can also burn your legally purchased music to a CD or DVD and then transfer it to the PocketDish from the CD or DVD.

i didnt even think about burning it then transfering thanks to everyone for the help ill be playing with this thing for days now.

Scott Greczkowski said:
No you can not.

However you can get music from any "Plays for sure" site, like Walmart, Napster etc. Those ones give the peoper licences to the music on the PocketDish.

Scott,

I'm sorry but in all the years I've followed your posts starting at the other site and now on yours, I've never seen you give out wrong information. Your quote above is somewhat wrong. Although you can't directly import your iTunes music the PocketDish plays MP3's, right? You need to burn your iTunes music to audio CD's and then rip them back into your computer as MP3's. A little work, but it can be done!

Yes but I am sure people don't want to do 4 or 5 steps to get their audio on the pocketdish, therefore I gave my recomendation that Itunes directly won't work with the PocketDish.

But places like WalMart.COM worked great and transfered to the PocketDish without any issues. :D

iTMS uses protected AAC, that won't work unless you use either some sort of audio capture app or burn to a CD and then re-import. As for regular encoding (off CDs), just make sure you're encoding to MP3s (as I said how), and you're good to go :)

Oh yeah, just a sidenote: I don't advise the rental services ($10/month-15/month "unlimited" stuff), they might sound good at first but if you stop paying, the songs stop playing.

Then again, if you're doing CD-full or album-fulls of music, buy the CDs :) You get to encode higher than 128kbps (192-256 is good for reeeally crisp stuff) :D

You can configure iTunes to download into MP3 format as opposed to ACC format. However, the other posters are correct that this is actually a protected MP3 format and will not be transferable to the pocket dish.

The way around this is to burn to CD and reimport. Then you have regular MP3 format and you will be fine. I do this quite a bit to move downloaded music into my mixing software. It is a little bit of a pain, but really does not take that much time to do.

www.allofmp3.com

http://www.museekster.com/allofmp3tipsen.htm
(info on how to best use the site)

I use Lame alt-preset-standard.

It uses variable bit-rate (VBR), which makes the bit-rate fluctuate based on the complexity of the music. More complex sections of music get higher bit-rates. Simpler sections are given lower bit-rates, while still maintaining CD quality, to minimize the file size. This way you get files slightly bigger than a Constant Bit Rate 192kb/s MP3 but with a much higher sound quality.

That is the problem with most music download sites in the US. If I am paying for something, I would like to have the ability to encode it at whatever quality I like, as well as being able to use it on whatever playback device I choose. Being a cheaper alternative is side-benefit in my mind.

If you ever want to play your 128kbs AAC itunes thru a good home stereo, you will be disappointed with the quality.

I don't want to turn this into a copyright infringement thread, so you can read about it here & judge for yourselves.
http://www.museekster.com/allofmp3faq.htm

That's why you buy CDs and rip those instead.

I don't get why such a "Quality" person would be advocating AllofMp3 anyway. It's not like the artists get a DIME from that at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts