I upgraded Dish Network HD last week

cdorka

Original poster
May 16, 2006
On monday I called to order new PVR 622 receiver, they said once it arrives at my house to call and in a month a tech will install it.

WTF, why so long?

so i say can I get it earlier? WC is coming soon. So she says to call back to see if i can get the tech earlier.

I need a new dish installed.

I also want to use the 2 outputs for PIP and use on of my remaining receivers for the other tv. I guess i can send back 1 of my receivers for the 25 dollars.

I currently have 2 TVs

any experience on why it takes so long and why I havent received the receiver yet?

Welcome! Demand is still high for the 622 and E* has a backlog of installations. In contrast, I purchased a 622 from DishStore and had it in 3 days for a self-install. You might want to consider that option if you're in a hurry. Are you also willing/able to manage the dish addition and whatever else you need? E* will provide that dish and whatever other equipment required by your receivers and programming as part of the installation/upgrade fee with a 90-day warranty. Otherwise you're on your own. You can call E* back and try to move-up your installation. That has worked for some. You might also call a local E* retailer/installer to see if they can do any better. YMMV.

Two TVs is ideal with the 622, one ("nearby" TV1) as HD/SD and the other (remote, TV2) SD only with HD downconverted. The PIP feature in the 622 is rather capable but does require use of both tuners for that function in the "Single" mode. But you can watch that same channel and have the same PIP function on the remote TV as well. If your main TV has its own PIP feature then you can use the 622's 2 tuners in the "Dual" mode to make that work but the TV2 output will still be SD only. If you want to use a separate receiver for the remote TV then you can dedicate the 622 to the TV1 location. What dishes/LNBs/switches you have or will install will need to be configured to your choice, so as the Templar knight said to Indiana Jones - "Choose wisely..."

Last edited:
thx for the response, apparently the Dish people dont track shipments, cuz the receiver arrived yesterday. im gonna call dish to have them send a tech to put the satelite and setup.

I gotta figure out this PIP, my TV has PIP, so can I use one of the TV Outputs and use the other for my upstairs TV? although there is no cabling to go upstairs, but I can use my old Receiver.

I'm not surprised you got the receiver already - apparently supply is beginning to catch-up with demand, but the installer's schedule might be tight for awhile, or you may luck-out and get someone to come out in a few days!

Your PIP choice will depend on how many tuners your TV has itself and what other sources you will use. For instance, do you receive TV over-the-air? In that case you might want to make your TV's OTA tuner one of the sources and the 622's TV1 outout another, and use TV2 to feed another TV in a remote location (upstairs). If you don't have a cable running to that location and if it would be difficult to do so, you might be able to send the signal for TV2 only (SD video and L/R audio) by microwave transmitter/receiver. You have a lot of options and you haven't given us enough information about what equipment you already have (TV and its capabilities, other TVs, other receivers, which are HD and which are SD, etc.) for us to make better suggestions.

Good luck with your installation, and be ready to do some experimenting You'll like the 622 as soon as you learn what it can do for you...!

yeah, sorry for not giving these details.

i got a Maxent 42 inch from Costco, it has 1hdmi, 2 component adn 2 composite.

I dont have OTA antenna yet..

It would be dificult to run cable from the Receiver up to TV2, anyways TV2 is actually my computer with a Hauppauge TV card in it. No HD in other words.

So I dont think I would need the 622 connecting up to TV2.

But my TV1 should allow for Dual mode 622, and a OTA Antena, because we dont have Dish Network Locals yet here in Norfolk va area.

So 622 output 1 to hdmi TV1, 622 output 2 to TV component 1, future OTA to component 2, and DVD-Recorder to Composite 1

hmmm, i then gotta figure out how to connect DVR to DVD Recorder... I ll have to read up on manual to see if maybe the TV has a output that can go to DVD Recorder....

gbjbany said:
sorry im a little confused. I have the same tv and a 622, the PIP is done by the 622 not the tv. You run the receiver in single mode.
What am i missing here as you said you wont be running a cable to tv2 ?

yeah ive got 2 old receivers right now. 1 i can probably still use for my non HD TV and not have to run wire from the new 622 HD receiver all the way from downstairs.

cdorka said:
thx for the response, apparently the Dish people dont track shipments, cuz the receiver arrived yesterday. im gonna call dish to have them send a tech to put the satelite and setup.

That sounds about right. I ordered about 3 weeks ago, the receiver arrived a week later, and I had to get on the list to get a new install date. It was just over a week for the install to happen.

Jeff_R said:
That sounds about right. I ordered about 3 weeks ago, the receiver arrived a week later, and I had to get on the list to get a new install date. It was just over a week for the install to happen.

The first time i called(1 week ago) they said June 7 for install date.
I called yesterday for earlier date, they said nope june 7
i called today for earlier date they said may 31

call again ftw :up

I just got the new dish and everything setup by the dish tech.

wife says that text appears on the screen about connecting the phone cable. What is that all about? i hope i dont have to pay to get that taken off, cuz i dont have a land line in my house.

cdorka said:
I just got the new dish and everything setup by the dish tech.

wife says that text appears on the screen about connecting the phone cable. What is that all about? i hope i dont have to pay to get that taken off, cuz i dont have a land line in my house.
If you don't have the 622 connected to a phone line, you pay a $5 monthly fee. I think they call it an "additional tuner fee".

With alot of people now ging to Cell phones only, Dish needs to take into account this new trend and make adjustments for it.

If the charge you, write to ceo@echostar.com and see if you can get that fee waived.

so i got to pay the 5 beans for phone line thingy.

got another question, my tv says its in 720 mode when im watching HD, shouldnt it be 1080?