Status
Not open for further replies.

mikew

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Thought I read that the FCC was mandating HD Tuners within the next year or so. Stopped by Circuit City to see what's up. Sales rep tells me they have no TVs with HD Tuner. He says I wouldn't want that anyway because then I'd have to install a $100.00 antenna to receive the signal. I'd be better off with Cox or D* for HD (of course, he knows nothing about E*).

Here's the question. I live in the middle of Las Vegas, about 10 miles from the antenna farm. When, or if, I can find a decent HD set for less than $1000 with the tuner built in, wouldn't I be able to get a signal with rabbit ears inside the house? Would I have to put an outdoor antenna up to get the signal? There really is no benefit in having an antenna outside for "hobby use" as the nearest DMA for me is 200 miles away (Phoenix or Los Angeles), and I'd have no shot at picking up any additional channels.

mikew said:
Thought I read that the FCC was mandating HD Tuners within the next year or so. Stopped by Circuit City to see what's up. Sales rep tells me they have no TVs with HD Tuner. He says I wouldn't want that anyway because then I'd have to install a $100.00 antenna to receive the signal. I'd be better off with Cox or D* for HD (of course, he knows nothing about E*).

Here's the question. I live in the middle of Las Vegas, about 10 miles from the antenna farm. When, or if, I can find a decent HD set for less than $1000 with the tuner built in, wouldn't I be able to get a signal with rabbit ears inside the house? Would I have to put an outdoor antenna up to get the signal? There really is no benefit in having an antenna outside for "hobby use" as the nearest DMA for me is 200 miles away (Phoenix or Los Angeles), and I'd have no shot at picking up any additional channels.

First, I do not think the FCC was mandating TVs with digital turners. I think the FCC has mandated that programmers change their analog signal to digital (I maybe wrong about it. But I thought this is the way I interpret the whole situation).

There are new TVs that already have an OTA HD turner and you may buy one of those. There are also new TVs that come ready with an HD turner for DirectTV system ONLY.

Second, if you get a TV with an OTA turner, you should be able to get your local stations with an outside antenna (as long as you have a clear view and there are no obstruction in your path). With an inside antenna (rabbit ears) it might be different. You might try to test this since you can get any anntena at Radio Shack and test them. They have an excellent return policy.

You need to do some research. Are you local digital stations broadcasting on the UHF or VHF band? This will determine what type of antenna to use - a UHF only or a VHF only or a combination of the two. You might say why not use a combination of the two? You could. Find out in what direction are your local stations transmitting. For example, here in NY, ABC, FOX and WB transmit from the Empire State Building but if I like to get a PBS local station transmitting the national HD PBS loop. I have a few choices. I can pick up the signal from Long Island or C.T. or N.J. For this I use a rotor that gives the flexibility to rotate the antenna.

I hope I have answered some of your concerns. The best thing is to try and test. But find out first in which band are your local stations transmitted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts