I want to upgrade to the Hopper, but also keep the VIP722k.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ejwhite

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
Minnesota
I have a 922 in my TV Room and my wife has a VIP722k in the living room. I want to upgrade the 922 to the Hopper. I like the 922, but I have to reboot it two or three time a week along with a few other issues. My wife really likes the 722k and is not anxious to change. I understand that the Hopper is a totally different system and the Hopper and the 722k can't exist together. I asked the Dish CSR if they could put up a second dish so we could have the Hopper and the 722k. She said they could not do that with no explanation. It seems like they could put up a second dish and just run the wiring for the new Hopper and everyone would be happy. Both systems could run separately. I think it may be more they won't rather than they can't.

As far as my wife wanting to keep the VIP722k, she is in her comfort zone and is very happy with the receiver and doesn't want to change. The 722k does everything she wants it to do. I'm the one that likes to keep up with the latest technology. So, my question still remains. Why can't Dish just add a second dish to the roof and connect the Hopper to it?

I think it may be more they won't rather than they can't.

Basically correct. It's a business policy decision and not a technical limitation.

Two Hoppers ($12+$12) would be less per month than one Hopper($12) and one 722($17), unless she just can't stand the tiled interface, Hopper should grow on her.

Thanks guys, I thought it was more a policy than a tech problem. I don't understand why they made that decision, but I guess we have to live with it.

Thanks guys, I thought it was more a policy than a tech problem. I don't understand why they made that decision, but I guess we have to live with it.

The theory around here is that they have the policy in place to deter account stacking.

Account stacking is most likely. Dish says they do not want two different types of technology in the house so customers do not get confused. It would make it much harder for Dish to diagnose a customer's problem if they had different types of equipment. Majority of customers are clueless as to what they have around the house for equipment.

Yeah, one of the things is that the Hopper/Joeys can have different channel numbers than the 722, like the RSNs....

Your wife will love the Hopper. My wife had no problem going from a 722 to a Hopper.

My techno-phobe wife finds the Hopper easier to use than the 722 we had.

I suspect if she saw it in action, she'd LOVE it! It's less "intimidating" to the technically challenged. Even the name "Hopper" is friendlier than "ViP722K."

Perhaps a friend or retailer can show off the system. Maybe where you just happen to stop off on the way to/from dinner at a nice restaurant.

I suspect if she saw it in action, she'd LOVE it! It's less "intimidating" to the technically challenged. Even the name "Hopper" is friendlier than "ViP722K."

Perhaps a friend or retailer can show off the system. Maybe where you just happen to stop off on the way to/from dinner at a nice restaurant.

The Hopper is incredibly easy to use. I know a lot of people on here do not like the tile interface for the DVR but it is very easy for people to learn. My 4 year boy knows how to run the DVR now. He knew for a while how to use the basics but now he knows how to go into the DVR menu and pick his shows because he can see the pictures. he knows the names of all his shows. It's perfect since he can't read them quite yet but he knows the tile pictures.

And next year, he'll be asking for new features.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

The Hopper is incredibly easy to use. I know a lot of people on here do not like the tile interface for the DVR but it is very easy for people to learn. My 4 year boy knows how to run the DVR now. He knew for a while how to use the basics but now he knows how to go into the DVR menu and pick his shows because he can see the pictures. he knows the names of all his shows. It's perfect since he can't read them quite yet but he knows the tile pictures.

I love the tiles for the hopper. I don't have to squint when looking at the DVR list. :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)