I would have to say that alot of hd is going to 118.7

goaliebob99

goaliebob99

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
14,482
518
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
I know this is tenitave and can change at any time but currently the 9 transponders over at 118.7 are in quam/super psk mode. Allthough there is no bird there at this time its one of those things that make you go humm... Also Im wondering if I can hook up my 90cm dish and my inavcom .03 lnb to the 118.7 and hook it up to my dpp 44 and have it work successfully with my dish setup??? Sounds like a mad scientest thread when we have a bird parked and up and running over there :) When does the bird arrive to that slot???
 
mike123abc

mike123abc

Too many cables
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
24,401
3,335
Norman, OK
If you have a superdish you should be able to just repoint it to 119 and pick it up. As soon as it gets to 118.7 I will probably repoint my SD121 to 118.7 and see what is on there.
 
Stargazer

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
16,565
340
Western WV
Some people will probably claim to get 118.7 on an 18 inch dish although with a weaker signal. It would require the proper lnbf of course. So the SuperDish 105/121 FSS lnbf should be able to pickup the 118.7 satellite?
 
digiblur

digiblur

SatelliteGuys Master
Jun 8, 2005
14,190
4
Louisiana
I don't have a Superdish but aren't the Superdish FSS LNB using stacked frequencies? The invacom QPH-031 doesn't use stacked freq's.
 
goaliebob99

goaliebob99

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
14,482
518
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
mike123abc said:
If you have a superdish you should be able to just repoint it to 119 and pick it up. As soon as it gets to 118.7 I will probably repoint my SD121 to 118.7 and see what is on there.

My train of thought is that it would work with the invacom lnb, because most of the fss lnb's are the same unless there is band stacking requirements.. then I would have to buy a new lnb.. I do have a sd 121 lnb laying around that I could use to see whats going on.. maybe I could jerry rig it some how :)
 
S

SummitAdvantageRetailer

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 11, 2004
665
0
East Coast
I thought in the FCC approval, they first mentioned internationals going there. If it's my guess, I'd say the current 121 internationals will quickly move over to the new 118.7 and get rid of SUPERDISHes all together by then. If they have any leftover space and won't use it for other purposes, they should put 61.5 content (intl/HD/HD LIL) as well.

Someone mentioned LIL and HD as well. Well I can think of one good use of LIL for the 118.7:

Richmond and Charlottesville, VA that are currently on SUPERDISH105 and 129, since these cities are pretty low in elevation and edge of the footprint.

The same markets that may be going from 129 to 118.7 can also have HD on 118.7. Well, that's what I'd do if I was E* but oh well, we'll see what gets filled on those TP's first!

Lastly, I wouldn't even mind broadband on there as that'd be broadband and DBS services on ONE dish.
 
S

Smith P.

On Vacation
Oct 4, 2003
8,907
1
Bay Area, CA
I did check sky between SatMex5 and E*9 last night; my spectrum analyzer and Dish KuFSS DP do not show any signal up there.
Qualicom QDH-301 will work OK, bandstacking/destacking is a technology used for utilize transmitting signal in a cable, but not affect downlink signal.

Goalie, could you please share a couple PID's bin files ? 0010h and 0011h.
 
Last edited:
M

M Sparks

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 15, 2005
1,946
1
goaliebob99 said:
I know this is tenitave and can change at any time but currently the 9 transponders over at 118.7 are in quam/super psk mode. Allthough there is no bird there at this time its one of those things that make you go humm...

Hmmmm...how can there be transponders at 118.7 if there's no bird? :confused: Are they just floating randomly? :)

If this were coming from anyone other than you Bob, I would assume you're on crack, but obviously I'm missing something. I haven't been following this 118 stuff. Can you humor me with an explanation?
 
goaliebob99

goaliebob99

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
14,482
518
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
M Sparks said:
Hmmmm...how can there be transponders at 118.7 if there's no bird? :confused: Are they just floating randomly? :)

If this were coming from anyone other than you Bob, I would assume you're on crack, but obviously I'm missing something. I haven't been following this 118 stuff. Can you humor me with an explanation?
Even though there is no bird there... they have prebuilt the system tables on the other birds for 118.7.. think of the system tables as one massive data base that tells you what channel is at what location.. Every bird has one uplinked to it.. You can tell what channels are on what bird in realtime by tuning into any bird.. For instance.. if i tune to 119 I can see whats on echostar's entire fleet from 61.5 to 148 and what channels are where on what bird.. It doesnt matter what bird i tune in to as i can see it all :)


Edit: to actually watch a channel if its free in the clear then i have to actually tune to where its at..
 
S

Smith P.

On Vacation
Oct 4, 2003
8,907
1
Bay Area, CA
goaliebob99 said:
Psmith, I would but the version that I have right now doesnt support it.. I have to redownload TSREADER BETA..
I recall any version should allow to record one PID for one run; at least for for 1 minute.
 
digiblur

digiblur

SatelliteGuys Master
Jun 8, 2005
14,190
4
Louisiana
Smith said:
I did check sky between SatMex5 and E*9 last night; my spectrum analyzer and Dish KuFSS DP do not show any signal up there.
Qualicom QDH-301 will work OK, bandstacking/destacking is a technology used for utilize transmitting signal in a cable, but not affect downlink signal.

Goalie, could you please share a couple PID's bin files ? 0010h and 0011h.

Even though the signals aren't stacked the receiver can still see it?

I know the QPH-031 will be able to pick up the signal fine with say a DVB card but I'm talking about through E* switches and E* receivers.
 
S

Smith P.

On Vacation
Oct 4, 2003
8,907
1
Bay Area, CA
digiblur said:
Even though the signals aren't stacked the receiver can still see it?

I know the QPH-031 will be able to pick up the signal fine with say a DVB card but I'm talking about through E* switches and E* receivers.
Yes, at least half of transponders will be usable. Invacom LNBF is not a solution for Dish receivers, you should wait for D500+ or D1000+ dishes.
 

Similar threads

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts

Top