IE can't see the internet

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
After much internal debate, I installed IE7, which shortly thereafter ceased to work. It said words to the effect "can't see the internet." Firefox works fine. But with IE out, I can't do a Windows or Microsoft Update. Plus, certain other sites don't work "correctly."

So I uninstalled IE7. Now IE6 is back, but it has the same problem- it thinks I'm not online.

I've run AdAware and Spybot. No help.

Any ideas on what to try next?
I've got to get IE working, even though I use it as little as possible. I could try reinstalling IE7, but I have the feeling that will do no good.

Go to File and see if Work Offline is checked. Another thing to check is Tools, Internet Options, Connections, LAN Settings, make sure everything is unchecked.

Are you using Norton Anti-virus? There is a known bug in it that does what you are describing, and the bug can be started with a up date to IE6 - and probably by switching to IE7. Try disabling Norton if you do use it.

First, thanks to all who answered.

Have you checked your settings under internet options by chance to see if something is amiss?

Go to File and see if Work Offline is checked. Another thing to check is Tools, Internet Options, Connections, LAN Settings, make sure everything is unchecked.

Yes, I did that. No joy. Didn't think about the Work Offline bit, so double thanks on that one.

Are you using Norton Anti-virus? There is a known bug in it that does what you are describing, and the bug can be started with a up date to IE6 - and probably by switching to IE7. Try disabling Norton if you do use it.

Yes, I use Norton, so I tried disabling auto protect. Did no good. But then, your comment reminded me of my Nvida firewall, which I use in place of the Windows firewall. Bingo! I turned it off, and with Norton on or off IE started working again. So I turned the Nvidia firewall back on, and IE continues to work. Then I got the blue screen of death. However, on reboot, it looks like IE works, Nvidia and Norton are on, everybody's playing nice and no BSD. Yet, anyway. I think I'll stick with IE6 for a while longer.

Thanks again for all your help. I surely needed it.

Glad you got it working. I was reading to chime in about Norton. ANYTIME anything quit working on my system, turning off Norton was the answer (Ophoto, Amazon etc all had problems at some point or another) Finally I dumped Norton, and have had NO problems since. It's not enough to 'allow sites' , or fiddle with settings, turning off was the only thing that worked.
Just for anyone's FYI.

First, thanks to all who answered.

Yes, I did that. No joy. Didn't think about the Work Offline bit, so double thanks on that one.

Yes, I use Norton, so I tried disabling auto protect. Did no good. But then, your comment reminded me of my Nvida firewall, which I use in place of the Windows firewall. Bingo! I turned it off, and with Norton on or off IE started working again. So I turned the Nvidia firewall back on, and IE continues to work. Then I got the blue screen of death. However, on reboot, it looks like IE works, Nvidia and Norton are on, everybody's playing nice and no BSD. Yet, anyway. I think I'll stick with IE6 for a while longer.

Thanks again for all your help. I surely needed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)