If cable can do it.....

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
This is good stuff. My belief has always been the current affiliation system is outdated. I don’t care about my local channels, I care about network programming on CBS, NBC, FOX and ABC. That includes primetime programming and sports. Make ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX cable channels and let all local channels be independents. I could careless about the local news and whatnot and it sucks that people are denied network programming because the stupid local broadcasters are crybabies. The issue here is between Time Warner and Smith Media not between Time Warner and NBC. A few years a when Time Warner and LIN went at it and LIN owned stations were pulled, TW replaced the LIN owned CBS and CW affiliates in Buffalo with the ones from Rochester but after about a week LIN cried and they were taken down. Still watched CBS from Rochester on unencrypted QAM on TW tough. Screw ‘em!

The contract between Time Warner and Sinclair is ending at the end of the month as well. Here in Buffalo and in Rochester and Syracuse as well Sinclair owns the Fox affiliates, BUT Time Warner has a direct contract with Fox, for network programming. If (and hopefully they are) WUTV, WUHF and WSYT are pulled viewers all across Upstate NY will still receive Fox programming. Sinclair also owns the MyNetwork TV stations in Buffalo and Syracuse, but I don’t think anyone will miss them.

Shouldn't E* be allowed to substitute distant signals when channel dispute occurs??

WKTV/Time Warner fallout: Pa. station on Ch. 4; CW11 gone - Utica, NY - The Observer-Dispatch, Utica, New York
Without having the time to look it up, I can only assume that the cable company is using a significantly-viewed channel to replace the network programming that is missing. Perfectly legal, and perfectly suited for either Dish Network or DirecTV to do the exact same thing, provided there is a contract to provide the signficantly-viewed channel.

garys said:
And the differences between FCC rules for cable and satellite companies.
They have been trying to get them changed but the cable lobiests are more powerful then the satellite lobiests. :)
Well, I don't know if they are trying for identical rules, but now that Dish Network provides locals everywhere in the country, it is more feasible to provide significantly-viewed stations. At this point, it must simply be an issue of negotiation.
This is good stuff. My belief has always been the current affiliation system is outdated. I don’t care about my local channels, I care about network programming on CBS, NBC, FOX and ABC. That includes primetime programming and sports. Make ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX cable channels and let all local channels be independents. I could careless about the local news and whatnot and it sucks that people are denied network programming because the stupid local broadcasters are crybabies. The issue here is between Time Warner and Smith Media not between Time Warner and NBC. A few years a when Time Warner and LIN went at it and LIN owned stations were pulled, TW replaced the LIN owned CBS and CW affiliates in Buffalo with the ones from Rochester but after about a week LIN cried and they were taken down. Still watched CBS from Rochester on unencrypted QAM on TW tough. Screw ‘em!

The contract between Time Warner and Sinclair is ending at the end of the month as well. Here in Buffalo and in Rochester and Syracuse as well Sinclair owns the Fox affiliates, BUT Time Warner has a direct contract with Fox, for network programming. If (and hopefully they are) WUTV, WUHF and WSYT are pulled viewers all across Upstate NY will still receive Fox programming. Sinclair also owns the MyNetwork TV stations in Buffalo and Syracuse, but I don’t think anyone will miss them.
I'm not so sure Time Warner has a contract with Fox for "network programming". Fox gave the affiliates first-run rights, so it would definitely surprise me to learn that exclusivity has ended.

The networks are not blameless. They have given first-run rights to the affiliates for decades, because they also own their major-market affiliates. It is why their local channels are so profitable; it is also why the distribution model won't change.

cant be significantly viewed..WKTV is near the adirondacks (Syracuse and albany could be significantly viewed) However the Scranton station is owned by the same people who own the ABC (WUTR) in utica

I'm not so sure Time Warner has a contract with Fox for "network programming". Fox gave the affiliates first-run rights, so it would definitely surprise me to learn that exclusivity has ended.

The networks are not blameless. They have given first-run rights to the affiliates for decades, because they also own their major-market affiliates. It is why their local channels are so profitable; it is also why the distribution model won't change

Yep they do.

"Time Warner Cable says it’s started to notify cable customers that, should Sinclair Broadcast Group pull the local Fox affiliate from the cable lineup, customers would still be able to watch Fox network programming as part of an agreement with the national Fox network."

Fox on Time Warner Cable - YNN, Your News Now

Also arises is if your local ABC, NBC or CBS station is pulled, you should be able to watch all network primetime programming (aside from live sports) the next day On Demand. Time Warner has all ABC, NBC and CBS programming in HD available On Demand making the local stations themselves almost useless.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)