If signal strengths are strong, what else could cause a pixely, blurry picture?

johnny q

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 7, 2005
Bergen County, NJ
All:

I have been a Dish customer since 2001, and at that time my PQ was awesome. Since then, I have noticed a steady decline in the PQ, even during times of clear weather, no cloud cover or rain etc. Its so bad, that at times it looks like you are watching a Real Audio video on the internet. My signal strengths have dropped over the years, about 15-20 points (attributed to a foliage problem), but are still consistantly in the 90's on both 110/120 satellites. Rain fade, which was almost never an issue, is a constant issue now even if it drizzles. I called Dish numerous times, and they sent someone out to replace the dish, re-peak etc, and nothing has changed, the explanation is that even though the weather is clear here, there is probably a storm and cloud cover somehwhere else thats causing the issues! Oh yeah - my receivers have been blamed too, but they have been swapped out - not the problem either.

Is there anything else from a technical standpoint that could cause these problems??

JQ

I guess you could have a strong signal with poor quality, possibly caused by installation of new overhead (very) high voltage power lines, or the 3-Mile nuclear site is generating more than normal radiation for your location. Other than that, I don't have an answer for you, but if no one else does, here's some things to test.

I'll assume you have a Dish 500 with a Twin LNBF, no (external) switches, 2 receivers, and 2 cables from the LNBF with one cable to each receiver, so that each receiver can receiver 110 and 119.

Since the dish (and LNBF), and the receivers have been replaced, they are more than likely okay, but could still be a problem. That leaves the cables, TV, and any other equipment you have connected between the satellite receiver and the TV. Also, maybe some sort of other electrical/electronic equipment plugged into the same electrical circuit that is causing excessive noise on the power source, including a bad UPS and/or surge protector. Time for process of elimination.

I would start with by-passing everything. Disconnect your 2 cables from the LNBF, get close to the dish as possible with your receiver and TV, run a new temporary RG-6 cable from the 119 side of the LNBF directly to the receiver, then the receiver directly to a TV, and see what happens.

At this point, if you are unable to get a satisfactory picture, and you know the TV is okay, then I would try relocating the dish, that foilage problem is probably worst than you and/or the dish service tech thought.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! You are correct in regards to my setup. I will try what you suggest, but I suspect you are correct when you point towards the foliage issue wreaking havoc. My first "process of elimination" very well may be to chop down some trees.

Before you go the headache route I would suggest replacing the cabling from the receiver(s) to the tv as this will effect your pq. As far as pixeling goes the primary cause will be line of site loss and you have provided some good information to that effect. Even though your signal may be in the 90's respectfuly you said that you loose your signal each time it rains and I am asuming that if the wind blows even mildly that you see pixeling, if this is the case then you need to have your dish relocated to a new location to provide a clear line of site.

Another thing that will cause pixeling is a break down of the cabling and if its cheap rg-6 or someone has used rg-59 ( stuff used when cable tv first came out back in the late 70's - early 80's ) then these will also cause pixeling. A further option in your case could be a bad ground junction and connections if it has ever been grounded.

Van makes a good point. Depending on how and where your equipment is installed, the suggestion I made for a starting point could be headaches.

So as he said, you may want to start with a new cable between the receiver and TV, but while at that point, try removing any additional equipment such as a VCR you may have between the receiver and the TV.

cali_installer said:
They replaced your dish but was the lnb replaced?

Yes it was, definitely.

I eliminated the cable (receiver-->TV) as a possibility, I tried at least 4 different s-video cables and nothing changes, the one I use now is one of those hi-end expensive ones from Better Cables. The one thing the tech did not do is re-run the coax cable, he told me it wont effect PQ unless the ends get rusted and dont provide a good connection, not sure if thats true or not. He said he installed new "weather boots" on the Dish and that the old connectors were rusted out.

Whoever mentioned the wind affecting things was spot on, even mild winds will cause my signal strength to fluctuate wildly from 95, up to 117, down to the 60's and sometimes it will pixelate and sometimes I will lose the signal, but at least I know what that is.....

Another problem that has reared its ugly head recently, a problem I never had before is pixelating when I change channels.

JQ

Then I would say it is one of two problems:

.....(a) Your dish is not securely mounted or the pole it is on is wiggling to much (not likely); or
.....(b) You have foilage problems.

You should consider removing the trees or relocating the dish, whichever is easier. The foilage swinging in the wind is breaking your signal up.

johnny q said:
He said he installed new "weather boots" on the Dish and that the old connectors were rusted out.

JQ

Your lines have water in them then if the connectors were rusted out, call back and get ahold of a supervisor and tell them this and that you want the lines replaced.

Van said:
Your lines have water in them then if the connectors were rusted out, call back and get ahold of a supervisor and tell them this and that you want the lines replaced.

Hmmm....... You may be on to something here. But for my own clarification, these are the connectors that connect the coax cable to the Dish, yes?? He said the original installer didnt use the correct connectors and he did not install weather boots. So in my mind, wouldnt the elements (i.e rain soaking the dish) be enough to rust the uncovered metal??

Just curious if after hearing these tidbits you still think its a "water in the line" issue, cause I will have no problem calling them and demanding they do something.

JQ

ps - thanks to everyone for all the great responses BTW:up

During the service call when the tech found rusted connectors, he replaced the connectors and added rubber boots.

To do this, the tech would have had to cut the cable back a little, and in doing so, would (should) have noticed if the cable was bad or not, and would (should) have cut back a little more to remove the damaged end. If it was all bad, I would hope he would have either replaced the cable or tell the customer to get his cable replaced.

Sounds like two choices; (1) as Van said, call and have them come back out and finish their original service call, this time correctly; or (2) see if you can connect a piece of good RG-6 directly from the LNBF to your receiver and test it yourself to ensure you don't have a tree problem.

You may have 2 problems.

with his SS in 90s the cable condition it is not relevant; he need professional survey with good equipment what will show BER/SNR at LNBF output, then you could measure at end of the cable

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)