If the landlord says no....

Elahrairah

Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
I have Dish now.

I may accept a job offer in another part of the state. If I do, I will have to rent an apartment for a few months while I find a home.

My question is this: I assume my new landlord will not permit a dish installation. Can I build a "tripod" or something on the porch and install the dish on that? Will that work? Has anyone here done that? I figure no landlord should have a problem with that....no damage to the property.

I can lay the wiring I'm sure without much problem. I'll just go through a window or something. It will look bad, but should only be for a few months. The point is, I don't want to dump Dish if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance.

Yes you can do that, have done it before, and helped others do it, if its a real jerk landlord they may say something, but remind them that via fcc you have the right, hopefully though you want have a prob. Just weight it somehow so that you ain't got to go move it everytime wind blows.

By the way welcome to Satellite Guys, there is always some one to help.
I'm sure others will give there suggestions also.

They have several mounts available that I found looking around on the internet. I'm having a similar problem you have except we are moving to a basement apartment. I'm mounting on a mailbox post with one of those spike attachments in the ground. I've also seen mounts that look like those portable basketball goal mounts.

DSC00099%20(2).JPG

Here is another that uses an old dish...

DSC00117%20(2).JPG

Here's the link to several ideas you can look at...

Link 1

Bucket Mount

As for running it through a window or door you can get flat RG6 cable to get in and out and keep the window or door closed for the most part.

It's important to remember that there are two rights.

1. Your right by the FCC to have your Dish.

2. The Landlords or property owners right to not have you modify their property. Mounting to their structure in any way that puts in holes, etc must always be agreed to beforehand (get it in writing or say bye-bye to your deposit).

Based on the two rights above, concrete filled buckets or other "non-altering" methods are best.

Elahrairah said:
My question is this: I assume my new landlord will not permit a dish installation.
Why? If he's smart, he'll know the FCC rules and he'll let you know what other tenants have done. If he's beligerent/stupid, you don't want to lease from him anyway.

Tactful, diplomatic communication is a great way to defuse problems before they start and uncover opportunities you never knew existed.

My friend just had DISH installed today against the landlord's wishes, and the installer provided all the necessary materials (at no charge) to mount it on a pole on an outdoor patio. The cables were connected via an outside box that the cable company used as the apartment was pre-wired for cable. My dad, who is an indepedent DISH retailer, suggests going with independents (as opposed to going through DISH) for this kind of install as they tend to be more creative in finding a solution to these kinds of jobs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)