If you have a Grandfathered Package....Please Read

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I didn't change anything but lost my HD locals yesterday with no warning or explanation......just says "not purchased" for some reason. They have been for since they came on line over a year ago. Checked my bill, sure nuff, their gone.
D* is really starting to get under my skin, that makes about 10 HD channels I've lost recently.

Did the change you to a no locals package or do you still have SD locals. If you have just SD, probally just need to call and have the box re-authorized.

Received this update/confirmation of what some of you have already reported.

CSRs can still make changes via phone, for the time being. That could eventually change as well. Here is what they said:

Just to confirm what your users have experienced, grandfathered customers can continue to make adjustments over the phone for now.
If that were to change, there will be early communications of that shift.

Davsrave - it was your post that sparked the inquisition of D* on this change, which lead to them releasing an official answer.

They made the change quitely until you and a couple others had posted about it and then the issue was raised to their corporate.

Masterdeals, where can I find the official answer your referencing?

R, Dave

Has anyone added SuperFan to a grandfathered SundayTicket package?

I've had SundayTicket without a basic package for many years- This year I called before the season to add Superfan.

The CSR added a basic monthly package, added SuperFan, then removed the monthly package.

Does anyone know anyone that D* has done this for?

D* is now saying they will not let me use SuperFan anymore unless a pay a basic monthly fee. And the still want to charge the full fee for SuperFan

Does that sound right?

I've had SundayTicket without a basic package for many years- This year I called before the season to add Superfan.

The CSR added a basic monthly package, added SuperFan, then removed the monthly package.

D* is now saying they will not let me use SuperFan anymore unless a pay a basic monthly fee. And the still want to charge the full fee for SuperFan

Does that sound right?

D* has required a base package for Sunday Ticket for a couple of years now. I'm actually surprised that the CSR removed the base package afterwards.

Does that sound right?

D* has required a base package for Sunday Ticket for a couple of years now. I'm actually surprised that the CSR removed the base package afterwards.

I think it's been that way for about 7-10 years now, you have to have a basic package to have ST and SF

Jimbo

Glad I am not planning on making any package changes. Still paying my lower priced more channel option total choice plus for $54.

Everyone who has cable pays the same price for the services they receive. Whether its a new customer or a customer of 30 years who never did anything to their account except pay their bill! Phone services as well. If you only have Mpeg2 equipment for HD,I'd be fine,with that, Thats fair because with their equipment they can't get all the HD offered. But give me a good reason why my base package price should be any different then the next guy? Do you still pay $149 for the NFL Package? Choice Extra is not an Upgrade from Total Choice Plus, It just a new name! and when they switched the name the price went up. But you get the same channels as me Except mine cost more. Why is that fair?
Not for cell phone service. My wife and I pay $40/month total with AT&T. We have an old plan with PAC Bell that is no longer available. PAC Bell was bought out by Cingular and now AT&T. Not only do we get the keep the same package price for 20 years with the same options, when they added extras such as roll over minutes, we got them as well. Because this service is contractual, such as that with DNS providers, we are able to keep the agreement with our old contract as long as we do not change the terms.

I think it's been that way for about 7-10 years now, you have to have a basic package to have ST and SF

Jimbo

Update: I found the DIRECTV CEO email address squirreled away on another satellite forum. I e-mail "him" (the "office of the president"). It has its own large customer staff and they decided to honor the agreement of ST and SF without paying basic monthly. They also indicated that the agreement for ST does not identify a requirement for a basic monthly fee.

They did say it is DIRECTV general policy that they are not accepting requests for any changes without adding basic monthly. But their own records made it clear what their first agent agreed to do for me: They really did not have much choice and they capitulated.

chase.carey@directv.com
"Office of the President"
DIRECTV
1-800-445-2180

I would recommend anyone that has not gotten satisfaction from first level escalation on the standard DIRECTV customer service number, then immediately take your issues directly to the office of the president.

Update: I found the DIRECTV CEO email address squirreled away on another satellite forum. I e-mail "him" (the "office of the president"). It has its own large customer staff and they decided to honor the agreement of ST and SF without paying basic monthly. They also indicated that the agreement for ST does not identify a requirement for a basic monthly fee.

They did say it is DIRECTV general policy that they are not accepting requests for any changes without adding basic monthly. But their own records made it clear what their first agent agreed to do for me: They really did not have much choice and they capitulated.

chase.carey@directv.com
"Office of the President"
DIRECTV
1-800-445-2180

I would recommend anyone that has not gotten satisfaction from first level escalation on the standard DIRECTV customer service number, then immediately take your issues directly to the office of the president.

I think this it the except , not the rule.
I'm pretty sure that if I called in tomorrow (or emailed) and said I would like to cancel my monthly sub and just keep the ST and SF, they would laugh at me and politely decline my attempt.

Jimbo

I think this it the except , not the rule.
I'm pretty sure that if I called in tomorrow (or emailed) and said I would like to cancel my monthly sub and just keep the ST and SF, they would laugh at me and politely decline my attempt.

Jimbo

Of course you can't get them to agree AFTER the fact.
You already had agreed to pay a basic monthly- I never did and their records of my first call confirmed it.

It is a basic business rule, if a salesman offers you a deal and you accept it, then the establishment is responsible for honoring it even if that is not consistent with their general policy. Otherwise, the establishment can typically be sued for a breach of contract.

Can you imagine buying a new car for a price and as part of the deal you get the salesman to agree to throw in a set of new tires and then have the manager come in after the fact to say it is not business policy to give customers new tires? What would you do when the car dealer sends you a bill for the car that adds in an additional price for the tires? That is the equivalent of what DIRECTV did to me.

Of course you can't get them to agree AFTER the fact.
You already had agreed to pay a basic monthly- I never did and their records of my first call confirmed it.

It is a basic business rule, if a salesman offers you a deal and you accept it, then the establishment is responsible for honoring it even if that is not consistent with their general policy. Otherwise, the establishment can typically be sued for a breach of contract.

Can you imagine buying a new car for a price and as part of the deal you get the salesman to agree to throw in a set of new tires and then have the manager come in after the fact to say it is not business policy to give customers new tires? What would you do when the car dealer sends you a bill for the car that adds in an additional price for the tires? That is the equivalent of what DIRECTV did to me.

Except that the contract and terms of service (which apply whether you are under contract or not) clearly state that DirecTV has the right to change the requirements, packages, and programming when ever they feel like.

DIRECTV - Customer Agreement
So if you kept their service after that agreement went into effect on April 24, 2007, you did agree to subscribe to a basic monthly package. DirecTV, in your case, just chose not to force the issue - and that is entirely up to them.

This is for all changes

When my "Friend" signed up and used my account number for the discount, D changed my programming and added the DVR charge which had been grandfathered into my Premier package. A very nice CSR fixed it this morning and removed the charge putting me back where I was before.
Nickels and dimes, nickels, and dimes.....

Except that the contract and terms of service (which apply whether you are under contract or not) clearly state that DirecTV has the right to change the requirements, packages, and programming when ever they feel like.

DIRECTV - Customer Agreement
So if you kept their service after that agreement went into effect on April 24, 2007, you did agree to subscribe to a basic monthly package. DirecTV, in your case, just chose not to force the issue - and that is entirely up to them.

A reasonable consumer does not believe everything an overbearing company tells them. DIRECTV certainly is within its rights to change their offers month to month. If they agree to provide a multi-month service for a specific price, then in many states, they are not legally able to add additional monthly service charges in order to receive that service.

Maybe your state has no consumer protections and DIRECTV is allowed to take your first born:) or two grand in jacked up monthly service charges for $300 worth of equipment you "bought" at BestBuy.

DIRECTV has lost class-action suits on some of their practices.

A reasonable consumer does not believe everything an overbearing company tells them. DIRECTV certainly is within its rights to change their offers month to month. If they agree to provide a multi-month service for a specific price, then in many states, they are not legally able to add additional monthly service charges in order to receive that service.

Maybe your state has no consumer protections and DIRECTV is allowed to take your first born:) or two grand in jacked up monthly service charges for $300 worth of equipment you "bought" at BestBuy.

DIRECTV has lost class-action suits on some of their practices.

Like I said, DirecTV in your case just decided not to force the issue and give you what you wanted. That may change next year, and what will you do then?

Consumer protection laws don't prevent DirecTV from making any changes they want. Generally, they prevent the changes from happening without notice.

Like I said, DirecTV in your case just decided not to force the issue and give you what you wanted. That may change next year, and what will you do then?

Consumer protection laws don't prevent DirecTV from making any changes they want. Generally, they prevent the changes from happening without notice.

DIRECTV and I have no deal yet for next year. They are under no obligation to make me the same offer next year that they offered to me this year. But once we make a deal for ST/SF and agree on a price, I will hold them to it: Every good consumer should.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)