I'm going to need a "Shrink"

dormie1360

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2004
Louisville, KY
So, I haven't logged into SatelliteGuys for a while so one Sunday night I log in to see what's been going on. I see a great deal on 921's for $839, call tomorrow and you can get in on the deal. Great, I call and buy it the next day. Man I'm feeling pretty good. Next week, I log in and see the receiver now costs $549. The week after that I log in and I read that $549 receiver I bought for $839 isn't going to work next year.

Man, anymore of this and I'm going to have to take satelliteguys off my favorites list. I don't think my mental state can take anymore. :(

Regards,
John

You should try for a refund for the $839 to $549 difference. Your 921 will not be a paperweight next year. How do you think someone who paid $1000 for the 921 just over a month ago feel? I knew that when I purchased the 921 or any newly released technology product for that matter, that it's only a matter of months that the price will drop and newer, better technology will be released. How about paying $500 for the latest video card for your PC when a year later you could probably pay $149 for the same card? Or purchasing a black and white PDA for $400 and a year later getting a better one with a color screen and faster processor could be had for $200.

What surprises me by these boards is that people bash E* for this but don't have anything to say about their TV manufacturer for doing the same thing. Do you people prefer that E* continue to charge the same $1000 for the 921 through it's entire sales cycle? Or for them not to develop any new receivers to replace their old ones? If so, you answer is to go back to your cable company and rent their boxes and take what technology they give you. I came to dishnetwork when they offered the dishplayer 7100 that had an integrated satellite STB, and PVR with 5.1 dolby digital sound, at that time, no one offered the same. I upgraded to the 7200, 508, added a 6000 when I purchased my HDTV and about a year ago purchased my 921. No regrets! I also was the first one that I know of that purchased a HDTV. Sure, better technology is available today at a better price, but I had years of enjoyment from that purchase before anyone else took the plunge. That's the price you have to pay to be on the leading edge.

DVDDAD said:
What surprises me by these boards is that people bash E* for this but don't have anything to say about their TV manufacturer for doing the same thing. Do you people prefer that E* continue to charge the same $1000 for the 921 through it's entire sales cycle?
NO!
DVDDAD said:
Or for them not to develop any new receivers to replace their old ones?
NO!
I think that we all have the genetic code to complain. I think that in some regards it tends to make things better in the future. Your points are right on though. I prefer to upgrade to better equipment. When E* produces a piece of equipment with more frills, I will be one of the first to grab it. If it has problems, I'll be one of the first to complain. I see it as a method for future improvement. Chances are, that if there were boards for our TV manufacturer, we would be doing the same thing with them.

Dormie1360,

I too feel your pain. There seems to be a real disconnect between the people that read this board. Some feel that this is the way technology is and equipment will drop overnight.

I'm on the other side of the camp and feel that when we buy a new receiver we are making a commitment and investment into E* and not just buying a PC video card or PDA because we cannot use this receiver with anyone else's service other than E*. It would be like buying a CD player strictly to listen to one music label's music or buying a Ford and having to buy gas for the car only from Ford.

I assumed E* would protect the loyal subscribers but as of now they are leaving their resellers holding the bag and that isn't right either.

You might try contacting the email ceo@dishnetwork.com and ask that a manager call you direct. I spoke to a GM and wasn't overly pleased with the response. Something to the tune of:

1. They have no control of the price the resellers sell the 921 at - take it up with them.

2. When mentioning my intention of migrating from E* when my annual is up the answer was something like "I refuse to be held hostage by a customer".

Dishstore has been great - E* has not.

Can you post or drop me a note on if you make any progress with dish?

1. They have no control of the price the resellers sell the 921 at - take it up with them.
That's why THEY lowered the MSRP to a price below what dealers we paying for the units a week before and then promoted this new price point on the Tech Forum last week.

2. When mentioning my intention of migrating from E* when my annual is up the answer was something like "I refuse to be held hostage by a customer".
Yup just shows you how much they value you as a customer. I am still wondering who they PAID OFF to get the JD Powers award. :D

DVDDAD said:
You should try for a refund for the $839 to $549 difference. Your 921 will not be a paperweight next year. How do you think someone who paid $1000 for the 921 just over a month ago feel? I knew that when I purchased the 921 or any newly released technology product for that matter, that it's only a matter of months that the price will drop and newer, better technology will be released. How about paying $500 for the latest video card for your PC when a year later you could probably pay $149 for the same card? Or purchasing a black and white PDA for $400 and a year later getting a better one with a color screen and faster processor could be had for $200.

What surprises me by these boards is that people bash E* for this but don't have anything to say about their TV manufacturer for doing the same thing. Do you people prefer that E* continue to charge the same $1000 for the 921 through it's entire sales cycle? Or for them not to develop any new receivers to replace their old ones? If so, you answer is to go back to your cable company and rent their boxes and take what technology they give you. I came to dishnetwork when they offered the dishplayer 7100 that had an integrated satellite STB, and PVR with 5.1 dolby digital sound, at that time, no one offered the same. I upgraded to the 7200, 508, added a 6000 when I purchased my HDTV and about a year ago purchased my 921. No regrets! I also was the first one that I know of that purchased a HDTV. Sure, better technology is available today at a better price, but I had years of enjoyment from that purchase before anyone else took the plunge. That's the price you have to pay to be on the leading edge.

I think what you are forgeting for the $1000 dollar customers is that they were unofficial "hard core" beta testers (you could even say alpha testers). The unit at first release through about 8 months later was at a "F" in terms of stability and reliability. I would say now (L188) it is at best a "B-" or "C". The customers that paid good money felt that they were being loyal to *E, by sticking with a very substandard product at the beginning. Ya can't help but feel the burn with price drop on the unit, that by all accounts should have been free of at least monthly account charges for the first eight months. "Yes, I am saying *E had a responsibility for all the time during the "hard period" spent troubleshooting for them for free!(this doesn't even mention spousal anger management), I'm not saying I want a free ride and I don't mind paying up front on a unit with an eventual price drop if the unit had been relatively stable (like it is now, almost a year later!) to begin with, but dammit *E could at least just freakin call me or send a letter saying thanks for stickin with us with such a flaky product (but to be honest I think they don't give a damn!) :no

You might try contacting the email ceo@dishnetwork.com

I sent Emails to the above address and the other fella recommended on this forum when this all started. I actually was very nice. I just explained what happened, understood that Dishstore.net was in contact with Dish to see if anything could be done for us, and asked that they that give this serious consideraton. I did not get back any replys. I have not called Claude but I assume if Dish had come up with something I would have heard about it.

I guess it's hard to bitch at a company for lowering prices. Granted this cost me $300, but I'll get over it.

I have not had the time to research and understand what all you guys are talking about w/r/t MPEG 4 and HD. If it does turn out that the 921 will be unusable in a year this 10 year custormer will be history. I don't care what it costs to change.

Regards,
John

I highly doubt that they will upgrade the technology to mpg4 and make the 921 and 20 million receivers useless

I haven't had the guts yet to tell my wife that the $1000 dvr I ordered in May, and got put on a waiting list till the middle of July to get, is now $549. I'll never hear the end of it. :D

That said, I love it, she loves it, I'd probably do it again. :smug

(Edit: said end of June instead of middle of July first, got my dates confused :p)

ajohnson said:
I haven't had the guts yet to tell my wife that the $1000 dvr I ordered in May, and got put on a waiting list till the middle of July to get, is now $549. I'll never hear the end of it. :D

That said, I love it, she loves it, I'd probably do it again. :smug

(Edit: said end of June instead of middle of July first, got my dates confused :p)
My wife put my pillow out in the driveway and told me to have a nice nights sleep!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)