I'm just curious how common is "moving"?

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
I'm curious how often it happens with both DirecTV and Dish. I know Orby one couldn't "move" with since all they offer for local channels is to install an antenna. I realize that it's harder to "move" with DirecTV nowadays, but I don't believe it's eliminated. How many people even know that people can do such a thing? And for the people that have heard of it, how many actually try it?

I'm not clear on whether you're asking about an actual physical move, or a virtual "move" where you just change your service address to receive a different set of locals for instance. As a normally very mobile full time RV'er, I change our service address and locals as often as daily with Dish at times. Sometimes to the new location where we are, and sometimes to the location where we'll be next. Dish makes that pretty easy to do either by phone, chat, or with an "Outdoor" account, an app.

If the spot beam that covered Louisville would hit Indy, I’d “move” in a heartbeat. Get Indy locals over OTA and then be able to watch my UofL Cards as well.
You're in luck! Louisville is CONUS for the HD feeds, but requires a dish aimed at the 77 satellite.
Lousiville, KY
3-00​
WAVELOUISVILLE, KY (NBC) -9097 SD 110° 4s10 A ()5172 HD 77° 12 A (nbc)
11-00​
WHASLOUISVILLE, KY (ABC) -9095 SD 110° 4s10 A ()5170 HD 77° 12 A (abc)
15-00​
WKPCLOUISVILLE, KY (PBS) -9101 SD 110° 4s10 A ()5174 HD 77° 20 A ()
21-00​
WBNALOUISVILLE, KY (ION) -9103 SD 110° 23s10 A5175 HD 77° 12 A
32-00​
WLKYLOUISVILLE, KY (CBS) -9096 SD 110° 4s10 A ()5171 HD 77° 12 A (cbs)
34-00​
WBKILOUISVILLE, KY (CW) -9099 SD 110° 4s10 A5177 HD 77° 12 A
41-00​
WDRBLOUISVILLE, KY (FOX) -9098 SD 110° 4s10 A ()5173 HD 77° 12 A (fox)
58-00​
WBKI3LOUISVILLE, KY (CW) -9100 SD 110° 23s10 A5176 HD 77° 12 A
68-00​
WKMJLOUISVILLE, KY (PBS) -9102 SD 110° 4s10 A ()5178 HD 77° 12 A ()

By the way, ignore the typo of "Lousiville" (which looks like it would be pronounced "Lousy-ville") since I copy-and-pasted the chart directly from James Long's list. So, send all complaints to him.

The boss wouldn’t want to put up another dish pointed at 77W... c’est la vie!
Do you subscribe to anything that actually requires Western Arc, or do you have anything that would block signal from the other Eastern Arc satellites? You could switch to a 1000.4 dish for Eastern Arc, and you would still be getting all of your programming from only one dish.

Is it not possible to put a 3 sat EA LNB on a 1000.2 dish?
IIRC there was a 3-sat EA LNB for a 1000.2 at one time. Good luck finding one! My H3 installer did the reverse: a 2-sat hybrid EA LNB on my 1000.4 dish. I think he used a nibbling tool.
Is the 1000.4 larger?
Slightly larger, yes.

Is it not possible to put a 3 sat EA LNB on a 1000.2 dish? Is the 1000.4 larger?
charlesrshell had a list of the exact dimensions of all of the various Dish dishes at one point. The 1000.4 is larger. In fact, it is the second-largest model of dish still in use for Dish today. The 1000+ (international) dish is slightly larger than the 1000.4 dish. As far as I know, all of the 3-sat EA LNB's are for the 1000.4 only. There are no Hybrid 3-sat EA LNB's. So, any 3-sat EA installation for a Hopper 3 would require a DPH42 switch.

Reactions: charlesrshell
charlesrshell had a list of the exact dimensions of all of the various Dish dishes at one point. The 1000.4 is larger. In fact, it is the second-largest model of dish still in use for Dish today. The 1000+ (international) dish is slightly larger than the 1000.4 dish. As far as I know, all of the 3-sat EA LNB's are for the 1000.4 only. There are no Hybrid 3-sat EA LNB's. So, any 3-sat EA installation for a Hopper 3 would require a DPH42 switch.
If this is not correct please let me know.

Attachments

• Dish Reflector Size.pdf
    202.9 KB · Views: 194
If the location you want locals from is covered by Locast, the easiest way to get locals would be to spoof your address on a computer and connect it to your TV. No DVR of course, but at least you could watch what you want. (That's what I would be doing for the Philadelphia Mummers Parade if there was a (televised) Philadelphia Mummers Parade this year.)

If the location you want locals from is covered by Locast, the easiest way to get locals would be to spoof your address on a computer and connect it to your TV. No DVR of course, but at least you could watch what you want. (That's what I would be doing for the Philadelphia Mummers Parade if there was a (televised) Philadelphia Mummers Parade this year.)
Unfortunately, no Locast in Louisville, so that wouldn't help Ray_Clum. In fact, no Locast markets anywhere in Kentucky, nor here in Ohio. Otherwise, I might be interested.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
As a former DiSH (and not dtv) dealer, my recollection as far as history is of a twisted road. We were of course very used to combining off-air locals with c-band, and that continued into DiSH, but now we're putting more systems into homes that had cable and maybe no offair, and DiSH had helpfully put up sets of net affils from NY & LA, that any customer could have for their customary $5 extra fee. Many loved this even if they also got their locals offair fine, both for time-shifting (pre-dvr) and for seeing content from other regions. Soon they added more nat'lly-available "locals" choices, such as from Chicago, Denver, Atlanta, San Francisco.

But then as DiSH rapidly grew, the NAB (all of the local net-affiliated broadcasters) went ape. Their membership contractually owned all of the eyeballs in each of their DMA's for net content, and DiSH sending them that content from any other source, free of course from their local commercials, not only could cost them in revenues, but were liable to be sued to put a stop to it. DiSH countered by claiming that many of its customers couldn't get a good offair signal. The locals countered that by demanding no distant nets activations for homes within their "grade B contour" for estimated offair receivability. Dish responded to that by making available to dealers a "reference antenna" and meter for verifying actual signal levels onsite. All the dealer had to do was to have purchased the kit and to then tell DiSH at activation that the customer didn't have good signal, and they'd turn on distant nets.

Well, dealers just used the signal testing as a pretext (lied about no signal) to get customers the distants they wanted, and many probably never even got the testing antenna out of the box, as DiSH of course knew. So this went on awhile until the net affils got wise again, and so they sued DiSH for infringement, and Dish ended up having to shut off millions of customers' distant nets. This set off a flurry of customer "moves" to so-called "white areas" beyond grade B contours that would still be eligible for distants. We would be sure to keep their "real" address on their accounts as their "mailing" address, so they would still receive bills, etc. Again DiSH certainly knew what was going on. I would just find a remote area such as the northern tip of MN and do an address lookup, and pick one for the customer.

Then I came to find out that most of my customers were being visited by DiSH monkeys without my knowledge and having their nice small dish changed out for a much larger "Superdish" that could receive lower-power Ku from transponders they had hurriedly leased to start doing "local into local", putting up locals from more and more markets. Then because of all their "misbehavior" they ended up getting ordered not to offer distants at all, even into white areas, while DTV still could.

Then the locals started putting the arm on providers for ever-soaring retrans fees, and that history has been playing out over the last several years.

Last I knew DiSH could be kind of touchy about doing requested moves with the desire to keep the mailing address the same, saying the customer must get an RV exemption, etc.

What a mess it all was. For me, anyway...I got out.

Reactions: tanman
I have three accounts with DISH for my parents, my aunt and myself. Two of them are listed for service address as being in Houston area (A movie theater with apt. numbers) even though we are about 90 miles to the east of Houston. The billing is what the address is really ,even though we do everything with auto pay and no paper billing. The spot beam for Houston covers our area as well with a 65 signal.

Also have ota for our networks here at home. So we get both sets. Been that way for years. Also have "moved" home when I needed to in order to get service ,but that hasn't happened in the last couple of years. Using DISH chat makes it even easier. As long as you don't tell them they won't ask, other than to ask if you are hooked up and get a signal from your new area you moved to. It also helps if you own all your equipment like I have for the last 23 years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)