Status
Not open for further replies.

SatinKzo

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 22, 2004
Louisiana
I got id'd at local Target last night for buying 1 bottle of childrens Robitussin. This product apparently contains the hallucigenic Dextromathorphan (spelling?) that is now considered in the same class as Psuedophedrine.

I remember the old Robi-doping growing up, not that I did it, but now it is considered a controlled substance in the same class at PE.

Anways, my rant is that while buying the 1 lowly bottle, I was asked to take my ID out and was then quizzed on items like my birthdate, street address etc. Meanwhile 9 people were in line and the cashier then said she needed to make a copy of my license. WHOA! Hell NO! I asked for my ID back, complained and left. That is totally unacceptable. Quizzing me on my on the ID itself is unacceptable.

I am 30 years old, I barely get ID's for alcohol anymore, but Target's policy is apparently to copy the ID, enter info into the register itself on ID info before the sale can proceed.
I contacted the store manager who said it's a corporate policy, so I contacted the corporate office this morning. Here was their official response to me

"We now ID anyone buying any medicine containing DEX. Even Halls cough drops that may contain the medication as the bag is considered a large quantity, Dex is a abused and causes Hallucinations, out of body experiences and even death. It is our policy to ensure Dex is only used for it's intended purpose"

I understand the concern, but seriously, if it's a big issue, get it off the shelf like you did for PE or put some basic f-logic in the register program that looks at the quantity being bought. It would not take long. That was my idea to the customer service rep at corporate target. Her response was
"Sir that would take alot of time on our part, so it's easier to just ask for and copy the ID" I said that's a bunch of BS! (yes I started to get upset at this point as I was just blatantly being blown off)

Honestly, if I am buying a bunch of it or hell take a look at my target visa account purchasess (yes, they're tracked) and see if I have bought a single bottle 9 times in the last 2 days etc. Or hell if I am the first of 20 people buying 1 bottle, but to have a blanket policy of making a copy of the ID and then quizzing the customer on info on the ID and making them feel like a criminal is a great way to lose customers.

Heck or allow the casheir to use their common sense and say "yep, he's old enough to buy it and he's only buying one, I'll just override the register on this one" (Which is apparently impossible right now for them to do) like happens when I buy beer and the cashier sees I am old enough without looking at ID

Let me also clarify, I did not get upset and yell at the cashier or even the store manager, They were just following corporate policy. What upsets me is the way I was treated due to the policy and the way target is handling purchases of the product. Any chemical we ingest can cause weird issues if we take alot of it above the recommended dosage. Why not just elminiate the OTC market in the US at this point cause when PE was restricted they went to something else. The addicts and abuses will just start taking something else they can easily obtain if Dextromathorphan is put behind the counter.

Last edited:
Carded is one thing. Making a copy of my ID is another. I am fully aware of the hazards of the drugs, but the Target policy of making a copy of my ID is what I am really complaing about. Also I guess the fact that they said I would get carded buying halls cough drops that contain dex. Also last I knew, Dex was not used in Meth, maybe it is, but what I read on it, kids are just taking lots of cough medicinie to get high.

Btw, I went to local Walgreens, bought the medicine without incident, not even ID's cause the cashier there was smart enough to realize, hey, he's buying one bottle and he's over 18. I don't even get carded when I buy products that have Psuedophedrine in them. I take the card to the pharmacy and they look at me then give me one box. No problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)