I'm still with Dish because of OTA & 622

Cyclone

Proud Stiff Member
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 9, 2003
Maryland
Well, I finally received the call that I had been waiting for the past 4 years.

Hello Mr. Cyclone sir, this is Verizon, we would like to offer FiOS TV to you. [Use your best Apu voice] Being the tech geek that I am, I have looked forward to FiOS Tv ever since I heard it was going to exist. When the Fiber was laid in my neighborhood, I offered the Mexicans water. When other cried that their grass was torn up, I was elated to see the dirt and spray painted grass. I called Verizon the first day that I found out that the Internet service was available to me (Oct 2005). I was the first in the neighborhood to get it (they had turn up issues with my Hub), and I've been 100% happy with it ever since.

A week or two ago, my Uncle called me over to help him with some home networking issues. He had recently switched from D* (sd only) to FiOS when they had bought a 50+" plasma. Well, I got to try out FiOS tv first hand and it really did look as good as you would expect. But there was one thing that is holding me back.

I still love my OTA tuner in the 622. I really like the 622. It's a good DVR and has been very reliable. I also like that I can DVR my OTA channels. I get Baltimore and DC OTA stations. My FiOS will only offer me DC. Even though much of the programming is duplicated, there are times when I need to hit the Baltimore channels to get what I want. Now Dish does offer the big 4 HD locals to me, but FiOS has about 8 locals. Aside from Voom their lineups are pretty much equal here.

So back to New Delhi. The guys told me that I would need a 1yr contract to sign up for FiOS TV. I balked at that, stating that I would like some kind of 3mo trial with no commitment. He wouldn't bite. That must not be in the script. Still I know that the real reason is that I don't want to give up my OTA feeds. Not to mention old F1 races on both of my DVRs.

I'm with you too here Howard County, MD. They (Verizon) are digging up my neighborhood as I type putting in the FIOS, but, now I'm not sure what to do. OTA is great, signals are good and all, 622 has been excellent. But, Dish does not offer HD locals in Baltimore though.

What to do?

How long was it from the time they put in the lines to activation?

Can you buy a 622 and use it for just OTA? At one time a receiver only needed to "see" a bird in order to work, I'm not sure if that still applies. Alternately, keep a 622 hooked up with minimum service including LiLs and you would still get the EPG capabilities. I think you can do that with a 622, especially if you own it - others correct me if I'm wrong...

IF you own the 622 you can do that and your bill would look like this.

6.00 no basic pack fee
6.00 Hd enabeling fee
5.99 locals
------------------------------
17.99 total before tax

I am more than ready for FiOS TV (PQ can't be beat), but I just love our 622s and the FiOS DVR needs an overhaul. I am an OTA freak and receive programming from DC, Richmond, Baltimore, and Charlottesville on my two UHF antennas. Granted, 90% of the time I watch the DC locals but it sure is nice to have OTA options. I picked up a Sony ATSC/QAM HD DVR last February and use it to record the Richmond locals vice using the A/B switch. It is a very good single tuner system if you can find one reasonably priced.

AHH, FIOS the Holy Grail of video - NOT!

They have issues just like everyone else - mine doesn't carry HD.

I would consider getting a Series 3 ONLY if they get rid of those ridiculous subscription fees. TV Guide On Screen (TVGOS) works well and it's free!

Its the only standalone HD ota dvr on the market I am aware of. Dish charges $12 between local and dvr fees.

The fee free Sony TVguide unit has been long discontinued.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)