I'm stuck...OTA not working with 622

cdh1000

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
OK guys, forgive me, i've read every thread i can find, and i'm just too new to figure this out on my own. Hopefully someone on this site can see the error in my setup.

Terk tv-44 antenna clipped to the dish.
Dish 1000, just installed.
622 in dual mode in the living room
television in bedroom has ATSC tuner (so i can get locals in HD ota).

Everything worked before my upgrade to the 622. Now, i can't get local channels on either TV. I'm pretty convinced that the installer didn't set it up so I could do this. Basically, anything i do that enables my OTA signal ends up Killing my TV2 signal. i can't seem to have both at the same time.

see my attached diagrams of what i tried, and the results. anybody see my problem?

-left picture is Dish installation--both TV's work, but nothing OTA works.
-middle picture is my experiment of switching conns on outside diplexer. interesting result.
-right picture is me adding a diplexer and amp at the 622 to get OTA.

i just don't know what to do next. Many thanks to anyone who will spend some time with me on this (and a beer if you're in the Austin area).

Attachments

• dish installed diagram.JPG
    dish installed diagram.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 248
  • with inverted diplexer1 diagram.JPG
    with inverted diplexer1 diagram.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 198
  • with extra diplexer diagram.JPG
    with extra diplexer diagram.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 199
Ok I'll try this, on your first diagram on the left what you have listed as a combiner is actually a dish separator. You need a couple more splitter/combiners. On the back of the 622 run a cable from the OTA input into one side of a splitter and another from the tv2 output into the same splitter and run that splitter into the antenna side of the diplexor that is behind the 622. Outside run a cable out of your antenna into one side of a splitter and then send the single side of that splitter into the antenna side of the diplexor outside and the other side of that splitter to the cable going to tv2. If you want OTA on tv2 that will requie an additional splitter. i tried a very very crude diagram. My artist skills are very lacking. Someone more knowledgeable will correct me if I am wrong.

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    576.1 KB · Views: 225
OSU, much appreciate the input. your diagram is not quite what i have. my antenna is on the dish has a built in diplexer, so the antenna and satellite signal are combined on the one coax coming in from the dish.

So i didn't want to make my original post too long, but i tried adding a radio shack brand splitter/combiner at the 622, to combine the TV2 output and the OTA input (in conjunction with the extra diplexer i added in right most diagram). When i did that, it somehow knocked the signal on my TV2 output, because i could receive satellite on channel 60 in the bedroom, but it was very fuzzy and weak picture.

i also tried the splitter and combiner out in the junction box, to route my separate Antenna signal around the outside diplexer, into the TV2 coax. that had the same affect! TV2 channel 60 was fuzzy and weak.

OK guys, forgive me, i've read every thread i can find, and i'm just too new to figure this out on my own. Hopefully someone on this site can see the error in my setup.

Terk tv-44 antenna clipped to the dish.
Dish 1000, just installed.
622 in dual mode in the living room
television in bedroom has ATSC tuner (so i can get locals in HD ota).

Everything worked before my upgrade to the 622. Now, i can't get local channels on either TV. I'm pretty convinced that the installer didn't set it up so I could do this. Basically, anything i do that enables my OTA signal ends up Killing my TV2 signal. i can't seem to have both at the same time.

see my attached diagrams of what i tried, and the results. anybody see my problem?

-left picture is Dish installation--both TV's work, but nothing OTA works.
-middle picture is my experiment of switching conns on outside diplexer. interesting result.
-right picture is me adding a diplexer and amp at the 622 to get OTA.

i just don't know what to do next. Many thanks to anyone who will spend some time with me on this (and a beer if you're in the Austin area).

CDH1000,

One of your biggest problems is you are using a Gloried Coat Hanger as a RF Antenna.

Those Terk antennas are JUNK, I suggest you get a decent VHF/UHF antenna instead of that POS.

If you are using a DPP44 Switch then that is likely your problem you can NOT reliably Diplex an OTA signal with a DPP44 feed. Even if you are not using a DPP44, non Dish Branded Diplexors can be problematic. Radio Shack Diplexors are low quality.

You should run a new RF cable for your OTA antenna if you do NOT want to have any issues. You can NOT use an Amplifier on your OTA feed with a set of Diplexors.

John

OSU, much appreciate the input. your diagram is not quite what i have. my antenna is on the dish has a built in diplexer, so the antenna and satellite signal are combined on the one coax coming in from the dish.

So i didn't want to make my original post too long, but i tried adding a radio shack brand splitter/combiner at the 622, to combine the TV2 output and the OTA input (in conjunction with the extra diplexer i added in right most diagram). When i did that, it somehow knocked the signal on my TV2 output, because i could receive satellite on channel 60 in the bedroom, but it was very fuzzy and weak picture.

i also tried the splitter and combiner out in the junction box, to route my separate Antenna signal around the outside diplexer, into the TV2 coax. that had the same affect! TV2 channel 60 was fuzzy and weak.

Try channel 24 if it is not occupied in your locals. If it is, try the lowest channel that is free on your local lineup. (21 & up are the choices)
The lower the channel number, the stronger the signal.
You will find a channel down there that is clear and you just need to run the antenna and TV 2 output, backwards into a splitter, then to your TV's input.

Let me know how you've fared.

Here's the TV2 combinations I've found worked best.

Solid Signal

Hope this helps!

Winegard SquareShooter

I had a the Terk on my Dish 500 for locals and had problems when I upgraded to the 622. I never could get it to work right. I finally trashed the Terk and bought a Winegard SquareShooter. I have the SquareShooter feeding both my TV and the 622 with a splitter; a separate coax going into the house. I get super signal strength and even get stations I didn't expect. I got the SquareShooter without a booster amp. :)

thanks for the advice Jeff. So you're saying my third (right) diagram "should" work?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)