OTHER Indoor Antennas for my area?

lji1221

Original poster
Jan 19, 2021
Texas
I have a townhouse, in St. Augustine FL, and I'm having issues with TV reception. I'm not allowed, by Home Owners rule to mount anything outside the building. I presently have a classic roof antenna crammed into my small attic space. It seems to work pretty well, I get more stations then i expected, EXCEPT one - WTLV(NBC). It presently has a external amplifier, but I'd be hard pressed to say that makes much difference.

RabbitEars.com shows that station to be FAIR, yet that web site is assuming a 30' outdoor antenna. location is :29.93, -81.36. Signal source is out of the Jacksonville area and is about 40miles away.

I'd appreciate some help on potential INDOOR antenna options, or other ideas on the attic antenna. Please note the space available in the attic to tweak the antenna direction is extremely limited, in fact i likely bent a few of the tines trying to get the think up there. Note: TV is smart and has built-in HD tuner

Sorry if i posted to incorrect forum, I'm new!

Attachments

• FL TV Antenna Stations.docx
    241.1 KB · Views: 154
I was under the impression that the FCC has made a ruling that outdoor antennas are acceptable as long as that are of a certain design - HOA or not. 47 C.F.R. Section 1.4000

Johnny, Thanks for the link. I wasn't aware of this, since our HOA has given people hassles over
the most ridiculous things. I'll reach out to the HOA and see what they say. I'm not likely to climb on my roof and install that one I have stuffed in the attic, so is there a reasonably capable weather proof recommendation, that isn't going to cause neighbors concern?

Johnny, Thanks for the link. I wasn't aware of this, since our HOA has given people hassles over
the most ridiculous things. I'll reach out to the HOA and see what they say. I'm not likely to climb on my roof and install that one I have stuffed in the attic, so is there a reasonably capable weather proof recommendation, that isn't going to cause neighbors concern?
HOA's bank on the owners or tenants not knowing the law. I don't recommend an attic installation unless you have LOS to the transmitter. LOS is usually less than 30 miles distant. Even LOS is iffy when the antenna is in an attic unless you're within 15 miles of the transmitter and are using a yagi. A lot depends on whether you are using a yagi and if you can point directly at the transmitter and how much gain the antenna has and if there are other obstructions (i.e. other buildings). "Deep fringe" antennas might be too big for an attic. An option would be to get the HOA to provide a common use antenna system but that would be costly if the buildings weren't designed to have TV outlets in every home/condo/townhome and probably wouldn't work all that great depending on the number of people hooking up to it or if it's poorly maintained. As you can see, there are a lot of variables. If the HOA allows cable TV that might be your best option but my guess is that you're trying to cut your costs. Anyway, that's my opinion and my guess of what would work for you.

You did not mention what antenna you are using, you need one with good gain on VHF high band since of course WTLV is on VHF high. I would guess your attic antenna is UHF only.

907, I'm not sure of the model number. It looks a lot like the one in the attachment. I'm not at the place now, but can check in a few weeks.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    19.6 KB · Views: 107
907, I'm not sure of the model number. It looks a lot like the one in the attachment. I'm not at the place now, but can check in a few weeks.
I am sure you can get assistance once you identify your current equipment. Recommendations will also require a signal analysis many prefer rabbitears.info the best we have available.

There is a caveat to the antenna location thing. It must be mounted in an area that is in your control, which ibn the case of a townhome is often nothing outside, unless you have a patio where you can place a pole mounted in a 5 gallon bucket filled with cement and point the antenna toward the necessary station.

The best indoor antenna is a small outdoor antenna mounted indoors or as you have in the attic - not pretty (wife problem) but the best. Flat panel and rabbit ears antennas and the like are limited by physical and electronic obstructions inside a dwelling and often try to overcome their inherent flaws with amplification which unfortunately also amplifies interference.

You usually cannot mount an antenna on the roof, because it is owned by the townhouse HOA or whatever, so a "portable" style antenna may be your only option.

People rarely consider TV viewing options when moving to a new house or apartment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts