Info about the 921, 811, 6000, 211, etc.

markdl

Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Matt Stevens posted this at AVSForums today. For those of you that don't regularly visit AVSForums, this post is worth reading.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?postid=2663257#post2663257

Mark, thanks for the post very informative!

Whats the skinny on OTA HD for us northern Colorado dwellers?????

Still low power down there?

Thanks
Stefan

I wonder if he talked to a guy I normally talk with because I have heard all of that stuff.

Most of it which I have reported already.

Out of the benefit of the doubt I have not reported ceratin facts such as the 921 being buggy, I will be having a chance soon to play with one and then can issue my judgement from there. It's not fair for anyone to say the unit is buggy without playing with one.

I do know the folks that had a chance to play with the 921's at the Cedia expo were very happy with what they saw.

The pro install of the superdish IS not a surprise and also is something I have been reporting for a few weeks. I understand its a tricky install.

Hmm, E*'s costs are $1400 for the receiver and they are selling it for $999.

Those of you complaining that E* never does anything for existing subscribers now have to eat crow for a bit. Selling a unit at $400 below cost is pretty amazing if this is true.

It might also be stupid. I can't believe that. It would take way to long to recoup the cost though programming.

What we *might* still be left with is a buggy HD receiver that costs a grand. :shock:

I really hope the 921 isn't as buggy as was stated in this post. Geez, as long as they've been working on it, even a little buggy isn't good -- especially for a $1000 unit. I don't care how much they're losing on each unit. If it doesn't work they'll lose the entire cost because I'll go somewhere else.

Of course, I've been patiently(?) waiting, and will continue to wait to see how actual shipping units perform.

Well, lets wait until someone has a test unit. It might be buggy right now but they could get it all fixed by the time they eventually release it. Sounds like they have plenty of time. Its not like DirecTV has a HD DVR going right now.

BobMurdoch said:
Hmm, E*'s costs are $1400 for the receiver and they are selling it for $999.

Those of you complaining that E* never does anything for existing subscribers now have to eat crow for a bit. Selling a unit at $400 below cost is pretty amazing if this is true.

E* spends more money on 1 receiver free dish promotion with free installation by the time they pay the dealer back for equipment, commision, and installation. They make their money back through you paying for programming. Odd's are that if your the type of customer that pay's $999 for a receiver, your not just a AT50 customer.

James

I agree with what JSSat said and also if someone is going to be paying $1,000 for a receiver it seems like they plan on keeping the service for a while as well. Dish would also be getting extra revenues from HD packages and probably having a higher markup on these channels to make up for some costs in hardware for the customer and at their uplink center.

If Dish were to get the extra $5 outlet fee and the $5 VOD fee, that would be $10 a month and in 3 years they will have gotten $360 (unless the customer purchased AEP then Dish will have more than made up for that $5 VOD fee). From that alone not counting the HD programming the customer purchased in addition to the basic and movie packages.

Could the "required professional SuperDish install" be part of a technique to clean out the "signal pirates" who have used an address broker? People may bristle at the words "signal pirate" since they may be paying for the service that they are getting, but, from DISH's perspective, it may have been gotten through less than honest means....

TheaterWizard said:
Mark, thanks for the post very informative!

Whats the skinny on OTA HD for us northern Colorado dwellers?????

Still low power down there?

Thanks
Stefan

Hey Stefan,

New tower on Lookout now approved (FINALLY!!!), design underway, should be operational by spring of 2005. So, yup still low power...

If you haven't, you should check out the Denver Tower thread in the Local HDTV area at AVSForums.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)