Information the guy from the DNSC told me.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

miguelaqui

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
Recently, a Dish tech came to my house to replace my bad 121 LNB. He said some odd things…is this information correct?

#1 The only Dish Network approved connector is the Thomas and Betts SNS.

#2 Wall-fishing is included, but if the install if going to take more than the allotted amount of time, then the customer has to pay the hourly rate.

#3 No connectors or cable is included in a service call, $1 per connector.

#4 The only thing included in a service call is 3 hours of labor. If anything is not “up to standards”, ex: grounding, cheap connectors, RG59, he is not required to fix it.

If this mess about $1 per connectors is correct, then that a just awful!!

This guy works for the DNSC contractor for the area, the local “hub”

#1: Wrong (there are several compression connectors that are approved)

#2: Wrong

#3: Wrong

#$: DEFINITELY wrong. Now if he has to replace something large like a LNBF, switch, or receiver and the part is not under either its normal 1 year warranty or DHPP then I can see being charged for that. But I haven't heard of any DNSC techs collecting payments for having to reground an install or something similar. If a tech sees a problem like grounding and does not fix it then that would open up Dish to a bunch of liability issues IMO and IANAL.

Are you sure that this guy was a DNS tech and not a subcontractor?

nsafreak Are you [b said:
sure[/b] that this guy was a DNS tech and not a subcontractor?
YES .... he even came in the Dish van...I really think they get away with this. He said the only time connectors and cable are included is when the customer is in warranty. $1 per connector is a little steep. I forgot what he hold me the cable cost, but he said that they charge by the foot.

Should I send an email to the CEO about these people?

Last edited:
nsafreak said:
That's not a DNS office that's a subcontractor, forget what ACS stands for off the top of my head.
ACS is the contractor, the "hub" for the Roanoke , Lynchburg area...they always have been. I assume you mean subcontractor as a person who contracts for the contractor.

Last edited:
nsafreakBut I haven't heard of any DNSC techs collecting payments for having to reground an install or something similar. If a tech sees a problem like grounding and does not fix it then that would open up Dish to a bunch of liability issues IMO and IANAL. [/QUOTE said:
Oh, I can assure you that no install I do is properly grounded...there's a reason why I don't believe in that.....I even said, "I'm surprised that you aren't wanting to put in a ground wire to the dish and change those connectors that you said were not up to standards." He did not like my Raychem EZF.

That's what started the conversation about the $1 for each connector etc...

I thought a service call included replacing bad ground blocks, cable, ties, etc..I knew that it would not cover a dish that was on the ground; that would be an existing customer install due to the fact that the dish was not connected to the house. I really thought everything but dishes, LNBs and switches was included.

Last edited:
miguelaqui said:
ACS is the contractor, the "hub" for the Roanoke , Lynchburg area...they always have been.

There's a difference between a contractor and a DNS hub though. DNS are direct employees of Dish Network but contractors are not.

nsafreak said:
There's a difference between a contractor and a DNS hub though. DNS are direct employees of Dish Network but contractors are not.
They call themselves the "hub" because they do all orders for Southwest VA.

No, the employees are not direct employees of E*. Some even go to NC to work directly for E*.

But, he was not a subcontractor; he was an employee of ACS.

miguelaqui said:
Recently, a Dish tech came to my house to replace my bad 121 LNB. He said some odd things…is this information correct?

#1 The only Dish Network approved connector is the Thomas and Betts SNS.

#2 Wall-fishing is included, but if the install if going to take more than the allotted amount of time, then the customer has to pay the hourly rate.

#3 No connectors or cable is included in a service call, $1 per connector.

#4 The only thing included in a service call is 3 hours of labor. If anything is not “up to standards”, ex: grounding, cheap connectors, RG59, he is not required to fix it.

If this mess about $1 per connectors is correct, then that a just awful!!

This guy works for the DNSC contractor for the area, the local “hub”

1 Wrong

2 Yes it is included and yes if the install runs past its max time then the customer is supposed to pay an hourly rate of $59 an hour.

3 Wrong he's trying to cheat you.

4 Wrong, 2 hours of labour to include replacing any cables and connectors, ground blocks, wall plates, and relocation of a satellite dish within 10ft of its original location if it is found that its present location is not suitable for providing consistant and reliable service. What it does not cover is replacement of the LNBF(S), switch(s), remote(s), receiver(s), wireless phone jack(s), panamax surge proctector ( if originaly purchased through Dish ) and the IR/UHF upgrade kit if purchased through Dish.

He's a sub contractor and a con artist.

Are we sure he was not a Direct TV installer that was "subbing" for a dish guy on vacation. Those rates and fees sound like Direct TV prices.

Those are the tech's policies, not of DNS LLC. That guy needs to be retrained as $1 per fitting is the most absurd thing I've ever heard of.

By the way, what used to be called DNSC (DISH Network Service Corporation, an arm of Echostar that handles DISH Network installations for orders placed through DISH Network's system and not through retailers') is now DNS LLC (Limited Liability Corporation) if you cared to know.

Hi All!

I am a sub in WI. Our wo's come from Dish and clearly state that the customer has prepaid for 2 hours labor, that over 2 hours is recommended rate of $59/hour, that materials are included....yadda.

A few things. As a sub, I have a little leeway for charges. I NEVER cheat the customer, but I also do not believe in giving away things for free. Unfortunately, it is not up to me to collect the money for MY materials (those are just free to Dish for the money that they pay me for a trouble call), but if I arrive at a customer's home for a TC, and the problem is caused by customer damage, the WO will get modified to a service call (at whatever rate Dish charges), and I still have to fix the problem for "free", but Dish can then charge the customer the full value.

That is just my contract that I have to operate under. I have heard of Dish hourly emps charging for fittings and cable...But that is just a scam...Nothing I am proud of hearing about.

I had the cable company out to my home (eeeech....I have internet through them, as no LOS to wireless, and no DSL in my remote house). I ran the cable, drilled the holes, installed my own wall plates, etc. and just had him hook up the connection at their box and to my modem...I got a bill for two outlets (internal run that required it as I was NOT sending him into the crawl space - wild animal down there), for an extended cable run, etc.... That is the same sort of rip off....LOL

Jen

satprincess said:
I had the cable company out to my home (eeeech....I have internet through them, as no LOS to wireless, and no DSL in my remote house). I ran the cable, drilled the holes, installed my own wall plates, etc. and just had him hook up the connection at their box and to my modem...I got a bill for two outlets (internal run that required it as I was NOT sending him into the crawl space - wild animal down there), for an extended cable run, etc.... That is the same sort of rip off....LOL

Jen

I think their new way of thinking is "they tested and verified that your 2 outlets worked.

ACS = Antenna Communication Services
That comes from thier old C-band businees.

He abandoned all his C-band customers, now we have all his old C-band customers and most of his family as Dish customers - lol

fred