Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
http://www.tvpredictions.com/jacobson091606.htm

The TV Predictions Interview
INHD's Rob Jacobson On HDTV
The high-def networks' CEO says INHD 2's future is uncertain.
By Phillip Swann

Washington, D.C. (September 16, 2006) -- In 2003, pay programmer In Demand launched the High-Definition TV channels, INHD and INHD 2.

While the networks can count several victories over the last three years, including agreements to provide high-def coverage of Major League Baseball, the NBA and the NHL, INHD and INHD 2 still operate under a cloud.

Despite being owned by a cable consortium (Comcast, Cox and Time Warner), several cable systems have recently dropped INHD 2, citing a duplication of programming. In addition, flagship INHD continues to experiment with its lineup, searching for the right mix.

INHD's Rob Jacobson.

In an interview with TVPredictions.com, Rob Jacobson, president and CEO of In Demand (and INHD and
INHD 2), acknowledges that the networks may be at a crossroads. However, Jacobson adds he remains confident that INHD will flourish as more Americans buy high-def sets and become potential HD viewers.

Here's the TVPredictions.com interview with Rob Jacobson.
TVPredictions: Cable TV operators are dropping INHD 2 in several markets. What is the future of INHD 2? Will it continue to exist or will its programming be rolled into INHD?

Rob Jacobson: Certain systems have elected to drop INHD2. A bit of history will help clarify. The network was created to showcase high-def programming, but also as a backdrop service for cable operators to lay-in regional sports networks (HD) shows when needed. If the network’s utility for this purpose goes away, then there could be a decision to collapse the two channels, but that decision has not yet been made.

TVP: Will INHD carry the HDTV hockey games from Versus (formerly The Outdoor Life Network) this season? And the HD games from NBA TV?

RJ: In the coming season, the arrangement with respect to hockey games will be the same as last year and will be seamless to viewers, who will continue to get HD NHL games on INHD. For the NBA games, we do not yet know, but we would like to continue to present games in HD as we have for the past three seasons.

TVP: Rumors are flying that EchoStar is testing a uplink for INHD. Will EchoStar add INHD in 2006? If not, 2007?

RJ: We don’t comment on ongoing negotiations.

TVP: DIRECTV recently dropped its FCC complaint against INHD over programming fees. Will DIRECTV add INHD in 2006? If not, 2007?

RJ: We don’t comment on ongoing negotiations.

(Editor's Note: Asked if DIRECTV will add INHD in the near future, Eric Shanks, the satcaster's executive vice president, told TVPredictions.com this week that "we are talking to them." However, he added: "At the INHD website the top two things they are promoting are Major League Baseball games, which we already carry and more, and a show called Beer Nutz. So I am not sure we are going to spend our customer's money on a show called Beer Nutz just because it is in HD. And I am a big fan of beer.")

"There could be a decision to collapse (INHD and INHD 2), but that decision has not yet been made."

TVP: Is INHD planning an INHD On Demand service? If so, when will it launch?

RJ: INHD has been running a test market of its new service INHD Jukebox, which will be the first free, all HD VOD music service. It features highlights of concert performances from superstar musical artists across the rock and pop spectrum including Pink, Roy Orbison, Sean Paul, The Who, Nelly Furtado, Stereophonics, Franz Ferdinand, Norah Jones and many more. We expect wide deployment of this service imminently.

(Editor's Note: INHD Jukebox was added yesterday to Comcast's On Demand service in the Washington, D.C. area.)

TVP: There's a general feeling that Comcast and Cox are not carrying HDNet because they are vested in INHD? True? Are the cable ops afraid that HDNet would be competition for INHD? (Disclosure note: High-Definition TV network HDNet is an advertiser at TVPredictions.com.)

RJ: We can’t speculate on cable operators’ decisions. However, we do know that INHD’s value as an HD asset on the lineup speaks for itself. In addition to our owners, it is currently carried by many non-owner (cable operators), including Cablevision, Mediacom, Patriot and Bright House.

As pioneers in HD, INHD and INHD2 have received high marks from viewers for presenting great original programs in pristine 1080i picture and Dolby 5.1 sound. We are keyed into the audience, constantly talking to thousands of them through online panels and focus groups. We are always fine-tuning our programming and developing new shows, such as the newly-launched MOJO-branded block on INHD. We are confident that this network has the competitive edge to grow into a popular brand.

TVP: INHD has made several programming changes in recent months, adding shows that appeal to young males (MOJO, etc.) Is INHD becoming the Spike TV of HDTV?

RJ: While both INHD and Spike gear their programming to males, that’s where the similarity ends. Men are not one single demographic. INHD’s audience is more affluent and older (our demographic target is 25-49 years old, $75K + income). INHD programs to a distinct group of active, success-oriented men who represent HD’s most passionate viewer base and a group that largely feels ignored by traditional television programming.

In Demand's research repeatedly confirmed that this highly desirable audience wants intelligent male-oriented programming -- beyond sports -- that is relevant to their interests and active approach to life. Our new MOJO original, branded prime time block feeds this need.

TVP: What types of programming are you looking to add in the future? Is there something missing from the current lineup?

RJ: Our focus is to grow the MOJO programming with distinctive new originals which cover a gamut of subjects including cuisine and spirits, music, high tech, finance and adventurous travel – all presented with intelligence, wit and style – and with a male point of view which invokes the sensibilities of the upscale men’s magazine world.

Five new series have been added to the MOJO lineup since June. We are about to premiere Dr. Danger, a travel adventure series with Dr. Bob Arnot, which this season travels to Africa. Viewers can look forward to Wall Street Warriors in October and a new show which focuses on cutting edge accessories for men which will debut in December. In 2007, there will be even more. Stay tuned.

TVP: What is your analysis of the current state of HDTV? Are sales rising at the level you expected? If not, what can the industry do to improve sales?

RJ: We’re obviously bullish on high-def. The 2006 holiday sales season should be very robust for high-def sets. According to Kagan Research, the HD market is now at more than 16 million (homes) in the U.S., and expected to double in the next two years alone. That’s a lot of new viewers coming online for INHD. How can we improve sales? Keep making more unique original HD programming.

TVP: What's your favorite show in HD?

RJ: I am a huge baseball fan, so I love watching MLB games on INHD, but I watch them anywhere I can find them in HD.

Last edited:
even though E* has uplinked INHD it doesnt sound like it will be available to subs for awhile since they are apparently "in negotiations".

I personally am more excited for the RSN's (specifically FSN North) to become available but that doesnt seem to be happening anytime soon either even though they are uplinked as well.

gjh3260 said:
even though E* has uplinked INHD it doesnt sound like it will be available to subs for awhile since they are apparently "in negotiations".
I think "in negotiations" is just an easy way out for DISH and INHD when asked when it will be lit up. DISH is in negotiations with lots of channels yet we don't see lots of channels uplinked.

dslate69 said:
I think "in negotiations" is just an easy way out for DISH and INHD when asked when it will be lit up. DISH is in negotiations with lots of channels yet we don't see lots of channels uplinked.

YES was uplinked years ago and never came on, so it isn't a guarantee..... just a technical exercise for the engineers to have it ready to go WHEN the suits sign on the dotted line.....

BobMurdoch said:
YES was uplinked years ago and never came on, so it isn't a guarantee..... just a technical exercise for the engineers to have it ready to go WHEN the suits sign on the dotted line.....
NFL-HD ? HGTV-HD ? FOOD-HD ? Sleuth ? any of these get up'd before a deal was done ?

YES may have its own story to tell since it is a Regional channel. Also with bandwidth being what it is, I don't think they will be uplinking any channel just to do it. It's not like INHD has a time sensitive broadcast (like the Olympics) around the corner. If it takes 3 weeks after a contract is signed I would be shocked. So why would they need a head start before a contract? The answer is they don't. This is a case of when is the last day DISH can light it up per the contract they have already signed, just like FOOD-HD. IMHO

Is it possible that Dish is waiting for the baseball season to end before it can begin showing INHD because of contractual obligations from a current season?
My hope is that we have INHD in time for the NHL and NBA broadcasts.

dslate69 said:
It's not like INHD has a time sensitive broadcast (like the Olympics) around the corner. If it takes 3 weeks after a contract is signed I would be shocked. So why would they need a head start before a contract? The answer is they don't.

Beep, wrong answer.

Here is what I was told over the weekend when I was in Denver... (And hopefully I explain it correctly)

Dish had a lawsuit filed against INHD, this lawsuit was recently dismissed without prejiduce. Now because the court made this decission it did not mean that everything was automatically, there are a number of legal pieces of paperwork they must receive from the courts which makes the case officially dismissed. And they must also file some paperwork as well.

I am told this process of "cleaning up" could take a few week.

Its all about dotting the i's and crossing the t's.

I was told that their priority is getting RSN HD and INHD up asap.

There I hope I explained that correctly.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Beep, wrong answer.
What did I say that was wrong, I didn't see anything in your post that contradicted mine.

Are you saying there is not a contract ?

I think there would have to be or DISH would not have done a 180 turn.
DISH would not have dropped the suit hoping that then they could work out a price later.
I think what you said makes sense. And that before it gets lit up the legal stuff needs to get fully dismissed in the legal system, but I wouldn't think any contracts still need to be worked out.

Is INHD still hoing to have NBA and NHL, I though thoses were only on INHD because there is no VERSUS HD and no NBA TV HD bandwith for thoses channels on cable. Since E* already has a spot for thoses will there be alternate programing :confused:

Yeah would like to get the RSN's first the INHD second! Then Voom I thought Dish bought the Sat so I guess Dish is letting them or Cablevision is paying some how to offer Voom??

Scott Greczkowski said:
Beep, wrong answer.

Here is what I was told over the weekend when I was in Denver... (And hopefully I explain it correctly)

Dish had a lawsuit filed against INHD, this lawsuit was recently dismissed without prejiduce. Now because the court made this decission it did not mean that everything was automatically, there are a number of legal pieces of paperwork they must receive from the courts which makes the case officially dismissed. And they must also file some paperwork as well.

I am told this process of "cleaning up" could take a few week.

Its all about dotting the i's and crossing the t's.

I was told that their priority is getting RSN HD and INHD up asap.

There I hope I explained that correctly.

Has there been any further updates on the status of InHD or are they still in the "cleaning up" process?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)