Initial reaction on Sling Adapter

I guess mine has never connected over the home network. I thought it always connected over the internet even if I was at home. That would be pretty neat if it detected you on the home network and would use it instead.

According to what others have posted, it is supposed to use your home network and not send any video over the internet when you are at home.

I have got it working while I am away from home but not at home, which suggests that it is supposed to work from the home network while at home but it is not working right. All along I thought it used the internet connection while at home so I thought it was not streaming from the internet when it is an issue with it not working on the home network.

Your problem sounds exactly like the problem I am having. TG2 has been working with me via emails, but I still cannot figure out why I can't get the sling adapter to work with my home computers.

At least seeing others with the same issue must mean that there is a common problem. Who is your internet provider Tony? Maybe it is certain modems that are being used?

If it did not use the internet but only the home network while you was at home then couldn't one try just hooking it up to a router without internet access or hooking it up straight to the computer and assigning the computer a certain address that matches the receiver on the subnet?

My Information: My internet provider is AT&T. I am using a Speedstream 4100 Modem, a Netgear WNDR3700 V1 wireless router, and Windows XP along with IE8 and Firefox 5.0.

Stargazer, I tried something similar to what you suggested. One of TG2's suggestions that I tried was to connect both my desktop computer and the 722k to an Ethernet switch, then connect the switch to my router, all using wired connections. I had everything on the 10.0.0.x internal network and I could ping from my desktop to the 722k no problem. Still, I could not get sling video to play on my desktop computer. Using the switch bypasses the router, so the communications between the 722k and my desktop only needed to travel across the switch, and it still did not work! I keep getting error message: "Your computer was able to connect to your device, but the connection was interrupted. (Error 36) (2). Try connecting again". Or sometimes I just get "Could not connect to device (Error 2)".

You get the same error as I do. I was afraid it was too low of bandwidth but seeing it work at a friend's house made me realize that was not the problem. I am using Westel 7500 from Frontier. It has the modem and router all built in.

One thing I noticed, and this is on my home network, is that on my Iphone/Ipad the streaming rate goes up to around 2.1 meg max despite me having a 36/6 connection. Using my wifi it does drop down to around 20/5 though but still that should be plenty and if it truly does bypass the internet it should be way, WAY more than 2.1 meg. I never tried it on my computer though, really no use for that. I am wondering if the upload is capped once it hits all it needs for the best video data rate?

After rereading this thread, it appears to me that (a) we all have essentially the same problem - error 36 when trying to sling to a local PC, but works OK when the PC is on a different network - and (b) no one really knows whether this sling adapter/local PC link is supposed to occur with or without an uplink to the DISH web site. Is it possible to get someone technical at Sling Media to respond and clarify? Furthermore, it would be great if there were some hint regarding the solution to the problem lurking in the log file. An engineer from Sling would be most useful in providing some diagnostics. Does anyone on this forum know such an individual?

After rereading this thread, it appears to me that (a) we all have essentially the same problem - error 36 when trying to sling to a local PC, but works OK when the PC is on a different network - and (b) no one really knows whether this sling adapter/local PC link is supposed to occur with or without an uplink to the DISH web site. Is it possible to get someone technical at Sling Media to respond and clarify? Furthermore, it would be great if there were some hint regarding the solution to the problem lurking in the log file. An engineer from Sling would be most useful in providing some diagnostics. Does anyone on this forum know such an individual?

I am able to stream locally just fine on two of my laptops. One is running Vista the other Win 7. I am using firefox 5.0. on both laptops.
My 722k is directly connected to my router a Netgear WNR2000. The two laptops are connected via wireless.

One laptop I have was using Vista while the other one was using Windows 7 and neither would work on the local home network.

It's still impossible to figure out why it works intermittently. I downloaded and installed Firefox 5 along with the new SlingPlayer because chibi had success with this browser. Lo and behold, it connected immediately--but only once. Logging out and logging back in resulted in error 36 yet again. No amount of retries has yet resulted in another connection. It's almost as if the DVR/Sling Adapter is left in an unknown state when shutting down. I have no problem connecting from an external network. I think the problem occurs when the SlingPlayer senses that it is on the same network as the target PC and tries to connect locally. It would be great to be able to analyze the source code, but in lieu of that, could a Sling engineer step in and hazard a guess as to what is going on? I have a VIP722 hardwired to an Engenius ESR7750 router and my PC connects using wireless N. I use Time Warner cable for broadband and my speeds are >10Mbps down and 1Mbps up. My OS is Windows XP. Any clues here?

Last edited:
lotusguy, that is the same thing that has been happening to me. When I tried Firefox 5, it connected the first time, but after logging out, closing the browser, then trying again, it would not work again. Once it works the first time, if I exit, it won't work again for the rest of the day. On two occasions, when I upgraded the firmware in my router, the sling adapter connected correctly on the first try afterwards. Once I exited from the browser, it would not work again.

if we could get copies of the sling log from when it works and when it doesn't, i bet we could at least get a direction for the sling guys to follow.

pabeader, I have 2 sling logs that I sent to TG2 a couple of weeks ago. One log is from one of the few times that it worked. The other log is from one of the many times that it fails. If you send me a PM with your email address, I will send the log files to you (I can't figure out how to attach files to a PM).

I tried shutting down multiple ways, it didn't make any difference. Usually, first I stop the video, then exit the app, then exit the browser, but I have tried other variations and it makes no difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)